Exercises to improve ability to lift my bicycle

Bikeknit

Region
USA
City
Kansas City
I chose a lighter than average bike partially because I want to be able to get it on my rack by myself. So far I'm able to get it off alone but still struggle to get it on. I've looked at Court's and another video for lifting technique but realize it would help to be a bit stronger.

I do a little (older lady version) weight work (either on machines at the gym or with hand weights at home) once or twice a week and I'm wondering if there is someone in the community who can suggest which muscles to concentrate on and exercises to do to improve my ability to lift the bicycle.

An article on bbcnews.com stated people over 55 lose 20% of their muscle mass yearly if they don't exercise.
I do some pilates exercises I saw on Body Electric PBS show, plus a few left over from the US Army daily dozen. I do biceps curls 30 rep, lift weight over head 30 rep, lift weight straight out to side 30 rep, lift weight out diagonally from body 30 rep. I started with a 1 lb weight, 2 lb for a few months, did 3 lb for a year, now I am up to 5 lb. I have very light upper body muscles & bones for a man, am afraid 10 lb would tear up my joints.
I have been having trouble lifting my 82 lb speakers onto the poles they came with and have started front curling a bar bell of 38 lb from the stand at waist level to my chest. I'm up to 8 reps but can't lift upper arm out away from my chest yet.
I do 30 pushups leaning on a chair against the wall. I can't do ones all the way down to the floor now, it makes my wrists hurt.
For back muscles I put hands on floor then do a knee dip 1 2 3 4 30 times. I should probably do this with hand weights as I'm starting to get back muscle pain riding the bike.
I do this every other day. My legs are very short. People with longer legs maybe should only touch fingers to ground, and then only after stretching out for a week or so. People with balance problems should wear a bike helmet doing this or anything where they might fall indoors. The $1 CPSC version is fine at 0 mph.
For finger muscles I play 3 Scott Joplin rags 3 or 4 times a week.
These do make my muscles sore the next day. Sign of good exercise. I take ibuprofen the day I am sore.
Enjoy fitness & good health.

Watch youtube on certain ways to lift and use your legs vs your back and so on ... It has some good videos on techniques ..

Loading and unloading the bike.. buy one that has a small ramp so you dont have to lift.

Watch youtube on certain ways to lift and use your legs vs your back and so on ... It has some good videos on techniques ..

Loading and unloading the bike.. buy one that has a small ramp so you dont have to lift.
You are right DavidRvR a ramp would help but I'm not quite ready to replace my newish rack. Besides my doc is encouraging weight bearing exercise which bicycling is not. I'm thinking I'll be better able to motivate myself to lift weights if it will make getting the bike on the rack easier!

You are right DavidRvR a ramp would help but I'm not quite ready to replace my newish rack. Besides my doc is encouraging weight bearing exercise which bicycling is not. I'm thinking I'll be better able to motivate myself to lift weights if it will make getting the bike on the rack easier!
For the interim Mostly.. But yes I understand that replacing can be costly. Wouldnt be hard to make one depending on ability but I have used a 2x6 in a short length for emergencies

Until you are able, Not saying skip the exercise and workouts

I suggest exercising biceps, triceps, quadriceps, hamstrings, and, above all, core strength!

Using good form when lifting the bike will help prevent injury, and lifting weights with a mirror, and ideally at least one session with a personal trainer (group settings are fine; the important thing is that someone offer corrections, at some point, if you’re lifting in a way that can cause injury) should be a massive help.

Go, you! Best wishes, as you get stronger! 😊

Looking at the problem another way: Try grasping the bike itself lower down on the frame, as lifting up to waist level isn't too challenging, but from waist level up to higher can be much harder. Can be a bit tricky finding a good, balanced place to hold the bike without having the front wheel wobble.

And another possibility: Try a rack that can be folded down. Lower the rack, attach the bike, then lift both together back to vertical. Won't be as much weight to lift, as the rack, being pivoted at the bottom end, bears a good part of the weight.

Looking at the problem another way: Try grasping the bike itself lower down on the frame, as lifting up to waist level isn't too challenging, but from waist level up to higher can be much harder. Can be a bit tricky finding a good, balanced place to hold the bike without having the front wheel wobble.

And another possibility: Try a rack that can be folded down. Lower the rack, attach the bike, then lift both together back to vertical. Won't be as much weight to lift, as the rack, being pivoted at the bottom end, bears a good part of the weight.
How about securing your front wheel to the bike with a Velcro strap to stop it from moving; then lift the bike a few times for exercise.

Back