Espin Nero

Taylor57

I just purchased a Flow this morning. What do you think of this Nero at 999.00 with the accessories?

Fully loaded, the page says $1149... if a fat tire, cargo-like bike is what you are looking for, then the Nero is for you. But if you are looking for more of a commuter step thru bike, the Flow is probably better.

The Nero weighs 65 lbs and I think that's before adding all the accessories while the Flow is 55 lbs... so that's a consideration.

Fully loaded, the page says $1149... if a fat tire, cargo-like bike is what you are looking for, then the Nero is for you. But if you are looking for more of a commuter step thru bike, the Flow is probably better.

The Nero weighs 65 lbs and I think that's before adding all the accessories while the Flow is 55 lbs... so that's a consideration.

Yes, good catch. Is this a new offering from ESPIN?

Brand new and thanks for letting us know about it.

I don't like the obvious battery but I think this is a competitor for those utilitarian bikes... even has a picture with a kid seat on the back.

Also, October delivery.

Last edited:
Looks like Espin is back on the move. The Nero, at $999 looks like a good choice over other fat tire bikes, especially the Rover. I just purchased a Flow for my wife and it's an excellent bike ... great power, agility, refinement, gearing, and riding qualities. Espin has not had a large following, but perhaps with the Nero, they will become more known.

1595109922342.png
1595110018940.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BET
This is just temporary pricing. The price jumps almost $300 after that. If it was shipping by mid August, I might be interested. October? Forget it.

"The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment." LOL, It's a new world we live in. Bikes are in short supply all over, and October is not too different than many dealers and manufacturers. It's frustrating for sure, but there are good deals to be had if one can wait.

I was very close to ordering a R1U 500 and canceled when the ship date was changed to last August. I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting until next year at this point. I'm still riding my standard bike in the meantime, so it's not that big of a deal.

I just purchased a Flow this morning. What do you think of this Nero at 999.00 with the accessories?

Looks like a Rad Rover Step-Thru 1. Virtually identical specs. And frame geometry looks like a knock off. So a knock off of a knock off. How original !

If you are using first price as your differentiator you are in a heap of trouble before you even begin your search. And you'll often choose wrong trying for most accessories and 'features' , getting lowest quality in each of those features and lower than average performance, least ease of getting serviced and higher overall cost of ebike ownership, over just 3 to 5 years. However if you prefer disposable and to not count on an ebike for the longer term, or don't mind more significant depreciation, then by all means use price as your primary differentiator, and dump the ebike in a few short years on some other unsuspecting buyer. ;

You wont likely get whst you pay for, but more likely deserve. There are so many white label brands (importers who slap a logo on a chinese knock off) at their price points, and lower right now, price as a differentiator of any kind is a very useless metric. Espin was getting slaughtered at $1799, so they just dumped their prices big time,and go on a pre-order basis, requesting a container load from their supplier, when they have enough customer orders to cover the capital. October delivery ? Are you kidding me ?

Very smart move for Espin. The Sport and Flow are excellent products, but original price point was too high. Hey Mike, try to be a gentleman and not a bully whenever you disagree with a post. I see it over and over again. Calm down.

I just changed my order from a grey Flow to a black Sport and Espin was very accommodating. Than you Yves!

I asked the Espin online chat about shipping and what rear cassette is on the Nero. They said it didn't require a signature and would be left on the doorstep. Regarding the cassette on the Nero, they didn't know, just that it was a 7 speed. The EBR review said the Sport has a 12-32T. Nero may have the same, but it has a 46T chainring vs 45T chainring on the Sport and Flow.

Last edited:
At Espins price point, can anyone find a better value brand than espin right now?
They look like a pretty good value now that they cut the dealers out and lowered the pricing. I hope they stick around for years to come - same with Ride1UP.

The fact that they offer it in a very nice deep blue is a real bonus. If I was buying it, I might choose that over stealth black. One thing is confusing is they show it with the rear rack, but they include the rear rack in their list of upgrades for the premium package. I'm hoping the base model comes with the rear rack since it is always pictured that way. This is a really nice deal, and I think would make a great first ebike for someone wanting to ride a little on some trails as well as the street, which around here is needed as paths are very few, and roads can be very narrow.

Last edited:
If you are using first price as your differentiator you are in a heap of trouble before you even begin your search. And you'll often choose wrong trying for most accessories and 'features' , getting lowest quality in each of those features and lower than average performance, least ease of getting serviced and higher overall cost of ebike ownership, over just 3 to 5 years. However if you prefer disposable and to not count on an ebike for the longer term, or don't mind more significant depreciation, then by all means use price as your primary differentiator, and dump the ebike in a few short years on some other unsuspecting buyer. ;

You wont likely get whst you pay for, but more likely deserve. There are so many white label brands (importers who slap a logo on a chinese knock off) at their price points, and lower right now, price as a differentiator of any kind is a very useless metric. Espin was getting slaughtered at $1799, so they just dumped their prices big time,and go on a pre-order basis, requesting a container load from their supplier, when they have enough customer orders to cover the capital. October delivery ? Are you kidding me ?
Espin works with a factory in Taiwan on design and building. Sport I bought was good quality, well known components. It is beautiful, study and well built. The bike mechanic who checked it over even remarked what a nice bike it was. They lowered prices when they started selling more direct to owners rather than through bike shops, like yours.

I bought an Espin Sport and it is a great bike. Comfortable, Sturdy, beautiful, and with name brand components. It is even better than I expected. Espin works with a Taiwan factory to design and build their components. They have a few models and build sell quality affordable bikes. It is not some rebranded generic Chinese bike. If you have seen one you should know better. It was shipped to me undamaged. Even the bike mechanic who checked it out remarked what a nice bike it is. Espin charged more for their bikes when they sold them through dealers, like you. Now they lowered prices as they mostly sell direct to public on a preorder basis. Other companies do also and it is proving to be a valid business model. Prices are competitive. Big name expensive bikes are also often made in Asia. Big companies charge high prices to pay for overhead, advertising, etc. You make these same complaints of all bikes that are not sold through dealers.

Back