Espin Nero

So is Espin no longer using dealers?
It doesn't look like it. Dealers were cutting into their revenue because of higher prices with the dealers taking their cut. So, they cut the dealer, lowered the price, and now they are very competitive. I'm very tempted to order the Nero. No rush, it appears, with early bird pricing effective through Aug 31st. I still plan to get a second e-bike next year. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Reactions: BET
I've been a lurker for a long time; I've visited tons of different brand forums and threads on here, and Mike never fails to disparage any company that doesn't use a dealer network. When Espin first cut their prices, he was complaining how they were selling "below invoice" and how no dealers will want to carry them anymore, it was a terrible business decision, etc etc etc.

I recently contacted Espin because I was curious how the new pricing was affecting sales, and the Espin rep got back to me and said they had never seen such a high demand and were thrilled at the new pricing.

If you look at Mike's comments in other threads historically, he was saying that Espin bikes were great quality, well made, and a good value. Now, as soon as they cut out the middlemen, they are just another white label brand that "slaps a logo on a chinese knock off."
Agree.

$1199? That would not be the Espin Nero. It's $999 without the rack, $1149 with the premium package that includes the rack.
Price has changed on the premium add-on early bird pricing. $50 less now at $1099. Here shows the before and after pricing.

neropremiumprice.jpg

Last edited:
That's a sweet deal. Now you might as well get the premium package if you want the rear rack and just install/remove what you don't want.
That's what I was thinking. And now there's been another change with early bird pricing only for the first 200 units instead of until August 31, so they're putting the pressure on me to not drag my feet. I took comfort in knowing I had until the end of August to decide, but I feel I need to make a decision much sooner with this change. Who knows how long it will take to sell 200 Neros.

neropremiumprice2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm buying the limited time pricing, it will be interesting to see what exactly they do after that. Come fall and winter we usually see sales, next Spring if they have stock who know what the price will really be. They may only have ordered 200 of this model, so there is that. They will have new models coming out, and they might just end ups being better or replacements for 1 or more of their existing models.

Still, this looks like a really nice deal if this is the type of bike you are looking for.

I'm not sure I'm buying the limited time pricing, it will be interesting to see what exactly they do after that. Come fall and winter we usually see sales, next Spring if they have stock who know what the price will really be. They may only have ordered 200 of this model, so there is that. They will have new models coming out, and they might just end ups being better or replacements for 1 or more of their existing models.
Yeah, it could just be a sales tactic - "limited quantity available - buy now". I compare it against the Radrover step-through, and it looks like a great deal in comparison at this early bird price.

Still, this looks like a really nice deal if this is the type of bike you are looking for.
And I can get an additional $50 cashback through Discovercard linked to Paypal. The funny thing is that when I first got interested in e-bikes last year, I was most interested fat tire bikes, to really smooth my riding on the rougher rural roads compared to my standard bike's 35c tires, with the Radrover being an early interest, but going into the fall, I had my mind pretty much set on the Juiced Ripcurrent S, with the plan to wait until this last spring (2020) to order. Well they weren't available in large when I finally got around to looking into it again, and my interest began to lean more toward e-bikes with regular and plus size tires, something somewhat wider than my current 35c tires.

That's when I became interested in the Ride1Up 500, 700, and LMT'D. I always thought it would be best to have two e-bikes so that I would have one always available if one was out of service for a while. With my short riding season, I don't like to lose out on any of it. And the good Nero deal makes it easier to justify spending the money on a second bike to have for next summer, plus it would give me more variety when I later purchase my primary bike, with standard/plus tires. I might end up spending less on two bikes than I would have on the Ripcurrent S alone.

Other notes: I realize I will still have my standard bike for backup as well, but that just won't be the same. If I decide to start mountain biking, I'll most likely end up buying a specific bike for that. That's really an uncertainty, and I'm not sure if the local trails even allows e-bikes, so that's research and planning I'll put off into the future. If I later decide I don't want the Nero fat tire bike, I could always sell it. My riding drops quite a bit by October, so I'm mostly thinking ahead for next year.

I've been back and forth on this idea of getting the Nero quite a few times. Sometimes, I'm like, Nahhh, just wait until next year. Other times I'm excited about getting it, even though it won't arrive until the late days of my typical riding season.

Last edited:
With e-bikes or anything relatively new, you have to start somewhere. The Nero looks good especially with Espin being the manufacturer. Still best to put your money where you know you want it, just hard to know I think before you get started. Espin seems like the deal of 2020.

I was out on the RCS today, and man it is a nice bike. A large bike, but a very nice bike. I see two real concerns the front fork is garbage, but at least I have it dialed in better for me now. And the general quality control and customer service from Juiced ( oh 3 I guess that extra battery price).

I wend down rough trails I usually take, and a RR right-of-way, and compared to my 1.95" tires it is night and day. My trails have a real mix of soil so an extra bonus. With the RCS though you're paying more than double the Nero. I see the Nero as a very different bike, not really comparable, but more like an alternative to my 500W DJ MTB. I have a feeling the nero would be a blast. Between accessories and extra batteries I've doubled the original purchase price of my DJ-MTB, so it will take a bit longer to really start paying huge dividends, but so happy I got it when I did. The RCS I've not spent so much after market for it, partly because I have my MTB to do those things, but my MTB is also more of an off road touring bike, than a real MTB.

After thinking this through for some days and making a list of the pros and cons of different bikes for a primary and secondary bike, I've decided against ordering the Espin Nero. It would be fun, I'm sure, but it's not really the fit I'm anticipating long term as part of my two-bike set, plus I would actually rather get my preferred primary bike first and concern myself with a secondary later down the road, hopefully before next summer. After some experience on my chosen primary bike, it might influence what I then decide to get for a secondary bike, or perhaps my primary will become my secondary due to another primary preference.

So, at this point, if I decide to go ahead and order a primary bike soon for delivery in Sept., I've narrowed it down to either the Ride1up 700 or LMT'D. Then before next summer, a Ride1Up Core-5 might make a nice secondary to the LMT'D. They use compatible batteries, so I could take along the battery from the other to extend range. But if I choose the 700, that's not an option. Either way, there's a lot more to consider. And if I hold off on buying a 700 or LMT'D now, I might end up choosing a different path before next summer, such as if an interesting new option pops up.

After thinking this through for some days and making a list of the pros and cons of different bikes for a primary and secondary bike, I've decided against ordering the Espin Nero. It would be fun, I'm sure, but it's not really the fit I'm anticipating long term as part of my two-bike set, plus I would actually rather get my preferred primary bike first and concern myself with a secondary later down the road, hopefully before next summer. After some experience on my chosen primary bike, it might influence what I then decide to get for a secondary bike, or perhaps my primary will become my secondary due to another primary preference.

So, at this point, if I decide to go ahead and order a primary bike soon for delivery in Sept., I've narrowed it down to either the Ride1up 700 or LMT'D. Then before next summer, a Ride1Up Core-5 might make a nice secondary to the LMT'D. They use compatible batteries, so I could take along the battery from the other to extend range. But if I choose the 700, that's not an option. Either way, there's a lot more to consider. And if I hold off on buying a 700 or LMT'D now, I might end up choosing a different path before next summer, such as if an interesting new option pops up.

Not that I mind reading your analysis (I rather enjoy it actually), but this sounds like a perfect example of analysis paralysis. If it's any help at all, maybe it would help to focus on just one bike, get that and ride it for a while, THEN start shopping for #2? -Al

Not that I mind reading your analysis (I rather enjoy it actually), but this sounds like a perfect example of analysis paralysis. If it's any help at all, maybe it would help to focus on just one bike, get that and ride it for a while, THEN start shopping for #2? -Al
I probably shouldn't have rattled on about the Core-5 possibility and battery compatibility. Per my first paragraph, I'm not really concerned about a second e-bike until later down the road, which could be influenced by the experience on my first bike.

I'm done analyzing now. I like the 700 and LMT'D. There's just one key thing I'm wanting to find out about the new LMT'D upgrade, which hasn't shipped to anyone yet. So, I'll probably be getting one of those two bikes early next year.

I asked the Espin online chat about shipping and what rear cassette is on the Nero. They said it didn't require a signature and would be left on the doorstep. Regarding the cassette on the Nero, they didn't know, just that it was a 7 speed. The EBR review said the Sport has a 12-32T. Nero may have the same, but it has a 46T chainring vs 45T chainring on the Sport and Flow.
I got an email from Espin.

Quote: "It is a 11-32T 8 Speed."

There’s much to like about this bike, but has anyone had experience with the motor, an SY brand which I know nothing about? And what about after sales support? I am in the market for a beginner E bike for my wife and this one certainly fits the bill, at least on paper.

Espin confirmed that the hub motor is the same one used in the Ride1up 500, shengyi 48 volt 500 watt. I have heard Court say in his reviews they are good motors. My son's Ride1up 500 is a fine bike and the motor is quiet and strong. I bought an Espin Sport this summer. It is a beautiful bike with great fit and finish. Delivered in perfect shape 95 per cent assembled. Comfortable bike. Smooth to ride. Throttle only works if you are in at least level one of assist but that is fine with me. A safety feature I think. You can still use throttle from a total stop so long as pedal assist is on. Sport came with rear rack, fenders and lights. Fenders and racks very solid. No rattling. Tires grippy and seat is comfortable. Support is good. When I send e mails they usually reply the next day. You can e mail them at [email protected].

Last edited:
Espin confirmed that the hub motor is the same one used in the Ride1up 500, shengyi 48 volt 500 watt. I have heard Court say in his reviews they are good motors. My son's Ride1up 500 is a fine bike and the motor is quiet and strong. I bought an Espin Sport this summer. It is a beautiful bike with great fit and finish. Delivered in perfect shape 95 per cent assembled. Comfortable bike. Smooth to ride. Throttle only works if you are in at least level one of assist but that is fine with me. A safety feature I think. You can still use throttle from a total stop so long as pedal assist is on. Sport came with rear rack, fenders and lights. Fenders and racks very solid. No rattling. Tires grippy and seat is comfortable. Support is good. When I send e mails they usually reply the next day. You can e mail them at [email protected].
Rad also uses Shengyi motors. Some have apparently alleged that Rad represented some 500 watt motors as 750 watt. Shengyi lists them as 500 watt. Supposed to be as good or better than Befang.

“.....Espin works with a factory in Taiwan on design and building.”
Is that true? If so, I’m loving it.

That is what one of the owners, Josh, said during one of the EBR video reviews. for the Sport. He said he switched his manufacturing to Taiwan because he was afraid of US tariffs on China. He was talking about controlling costs. He also said because he speaks Mandarin and spends time where they make the bikes he believes he has better communication about the design and building. I have the Sport.

Last edited:
Looks like Espin is back on the move. The Nero, at $999 looks like a good choice over other fat tire bikes, especially the Rover. I just purchased a Flow for my wife and it's an excellent bike ... great power, agility, refinement, gearing, and riding qualities. Espin has not had a large following, but perhaps with the Nero, they will become more known.

View attachment 59393View attachment 59394
I have a Sport. I like it. My husband wants the Nero. Don't wait too long to order. Only 200 bikes at this introductory price.

The fact that they offer it in a very nice deep blue is a real bonus. If I was buying it, I might choose that over stealth black. One thing is confusing is they show it with the rear rack, but they include the rear rack in their list of upgrades for the premium package. I'm hoping the base model comes with the rear rack since it is always pictured that way. This is a really nice deal, and I think would make a great first ebike for someone wanting to ride a little on some trails as well as the street, which around here is needed as paths are very few, and roads can be very narrow.
Yes the blue is nice. With base you get fenders only. For $100 more you get front and rear racks, cell phone holder, water bottle holder and panniers.

I just purchased a Flow this morning. What do you think of this Nero at 999.00 with the accessories?

If you want an Espin Nero at the introductory price than you should order soon. I think they are almost sold out of the first 200 at the special sale price.

Back