Espin Nero

How so? Gearing range is now 13-32 vs most likely 12-34 you have on your sport (we have 11-34 on our flow) . Am disappointed they reduced the range.

I'd ask how readable the display is, but sounds like you aren't looking at it in bright sun with sunglasses on.
I received my Nero a couple weeks ago and already have nearly 200 miles on it. The gearing range is 13-32T, which I find just fine. It tops out at around 25mph on PAS 5 and I have no problem applying pressure to the pedals at that speed. This weekend I went on a hilly ride and on the downhill sections I couldn't keep up when the bike went around 28+.

The display visibility is good, I would say if you are wearing sunglasses its hard to read but without them it works just fine for me during the day. In the sunlight it works, maybe not as easy to read as a black and white display but overall I like it. The display brightness is also adjustable in the settings, comes set at max brightness. I would choose this color display over a black and white one.

As for the S-Ride shifters and derailleur, it has been smooth and responsive. No adjustment needed out of the box. One thing that took some getting used to is that you push different levers to both upshift and downshift. It's a bit awkward at first because I was not used to that setup and there isn't much space for your finger to push the downshift lever. However, I am used to it now and it works just fine.

I can do my best to answer any other questions! I think this is a better buy than the Rad Rover (obviously the #1 fat tire bike and was in my top 3). Sleeker design (Imo), better components, better price, stronger motor, bigger battery (slightly). Overall a great buy!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    476 KB · Views: 418
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
I received my Nero a couple weeks ago and already have nearly 200 miles on it. The gearing range is 13-32T, which I find just fine. It tops out at around 25mph on PAS 5 and I have no problem applying pressure to the pedals at that speed. This weekend I went on a hilly ride and on the downhill sections I couldn't keep up when the bike went around 28+.

The display visibility is good, I would say if you are wearing sunglasses its hard to read but without them it works just fine for me during the day. In the sunlight it works, maybe not as easy to read as a black and white display but overall I like it. The display brightness is also adjustable in the settings, comes set at max brightness. I would choose this color display over a black and white one.

As for the S-Ride shifters and derailleur, it has been smooth and responsive. No adjustment needed out of the box. One thing that took some getting used to is that you push different levers to both upshift and downshift. It's a bit awkward at first because I was not used to that setup and there isn't much space for your finger to push the downshift lever. However, I am used to it now and it works just fine.

I can do my best to answer any other questions! I think this is a better buy than the Rad Rover (obviously the #1 fat tire bike and was in my top 3). Sleeker design (Imo), better components, better price, stronger motor, bigger battery (slightly). Overall a great buy!
Our Flow is set up with these as well, and our experience with the set up being right on the same as well. I just wanted to add that though my big mitts were not having any issue, the wife was having a little trouble with that push-push arrangement. I rotated it a bit to the rear on the handlebar so she could find that second lever a little easier, and she's been good since. Works great.... -Al

If they are S-Ride shifters (not SRam), I believe the front trigger can be pulled as well as pushed like Shimano. Gives the option for rider preference.

The SRam X4 ones on our 2020 flow are push-push only and less nice to use, but we adapted pretty fast. Thanks for the feedback.

I've been riding my Nero for a little over a week. Since my two previous ebikes are mid-drives, it is a little difficult to get used to the thrust of a hub motor. I do appreciate the throttle though as it allows me to focus on balance and speed with my dog in tow.

Could you advise how you changed the settings OR even how to get into settings?
I have taught English all over the world, but many people fail to know what words to use or how we use the syntax. In other words, I cannot understand the directions in the owner's manual. I have tried many times, but failed to get into the settings via the display and control panel.

Thanks and have fun riding.
prof

Does anyone know how to open or enter settings for the Espin Nero?
I cannot understand the owner's manual directions?
Any assistance would be welcomed.

Best,
Prof

I've been riding my Nero for a little over a week. Since my two previous ebikes are mid-drives, it is a little difficult to get used to the thrust of a hub motor. I do appreciate the throttle though as it allows me to focus on balance and speed with my dog in tow.

Could you advise how you changed the settings OR even how to get into settings?
I have taught English all over the world, but many people fail to know what words to use or how we use the syntax. In other words, I cannot understand the directions in the owner's manual. I have tried many times, but failed to get into the settings via the display and control panel.

Thanks and have fun riding.
prof
Basic Settings:

1.) You can enter the settings menu by double clicking the "Mode" button. You'll know you're in when a P1 shows up on the screen, with a numerical value underneath it.

2.) To edit the setting, click the "Mode" button once, and the numerical value should start flashing.

3.) Use the plus button to increase and minus button to decrease the value.

4.) Once you've set it to your preferred value, click the mode button again to exit editing mode and the number should stop flashing.

5.) If you are not in editing mode, you can use the plus and minus buttons to navigate through the different settings (P1-P4, A05).

P1: Backlight Brightness (1-5)
P2: Automatic Shutdown Time (1-9)
P3: Mph/Kph (0-1)
P4: Manual/Automatic Switching (0-1)
A05: Advanced Menu Settings (See below)

Advanced Settings:

1.) At the end you will find the option to enter the advanced settings menu. The password to enter is 1801.

A1: Voltage Choices (24-72)
A2: Assistance Gear Selection (# of PAS levels)(3,5,6,9)
A3 Speed Limiting (15-41kph)
A4: Current Limiting (15-45)
A5 Wheel Size (16-700c)
ect...(nothing much of interest A6-A9)

For me, I left the basic settings alone. In the advanced settings I increased the top speed to 41kph (~25mph), and decreased the max current to 16 (default 24). Lowering the current made it a much smoother power delivery, at the expense of a little loss in acceleration and hill climbing ability.

Hope this helped.

Basic Settings:

1.) You can enter the settings menu by double clicking the "Mode" button. You'll know you're in when a P1 shows up on the screen, with a numerical value underneath it.

2.) To edit the setting, click the "Mode" button once, and the numerical value should start flashing.

4.) Once you've set it to your preferred value, click the mode button again to exit editing mode and the number should stop flashing.

5.) If you are not in editing mode, you can use the plus and minus buttons to navigate through the different settings (P1-P4, A05).

Advanced Settings:

1.) At the end you will find the option to enter the advanced settings menu. The password to enter is 1801.

A5 Wheel Size (16-700c)

For me, I left the basic settings alone. In the advanced settings I increased the top speed to 41kph (~25mph), and decreased the max current to 16 (default 24). Lowering the current made it a much smoother power delivery, at the expense of a little loss in acceleration and hill climbing ability.

Hope this helped.
Lowering the voltage should also get you better battery life. When you lowered the voltage at the expense of acceleration, did you find that at higher PAS levels, it still got to the top speed, but just took a little longer to get there?

Basic Settings:

Advanced Settings:

A5 Wheel Size (16-700c)

Hope this helped.
INCREDIBLY clear! Thanks a million!
Prof

Lowering the voltage should also get you better battery life. When you lowered the voltage at the expense of acceleration, did you find that at higher PAS levels, it still got to the top speed, but just took a little longer to get there?
I actually haven't tried lowering the voltage yet. I'll check it out soon and let you know!

So upon rereading your comment I think you were referring to me reducing the max amp flow. Yes, it still gets the same speeds in all PAS levels as with the default settings. It tops out around 25mph on a full charge (drops a couple mph when the battery is drained). The Nero has the option to display the amount of watts being drawn at any given time. I found that the default setting it was pulling around 1000 watts while accelerating, and now it peaks at around 750. In theory this should also increase the range of the bike since you won’t be using as much energy to get up to speed :) Long story short: same speeds , slower acceleration.

same speeds , slower acceleration, and with less chance of cooking your motor or controller....

Is it possible to set the battery to voltage percent instead of bars on this display?

When it first lights up it looks like it gives that option but maybe the controller doesn’t…

Anybody know?

Is it possible to set the battery to voltage percent instead of bars on this display?

When it first lights up it looks like it gives that option but maybe the controller doesn’t…

Anybody know?
Not sure. The Sport does the same thing. Starts to show digits then you get the "bars"

Back