Espin Nero

I finally got time to assemble my Nero. This is a big machine. It is massive compared to my kids' e-bikes (pic below). It's only 20 pounds heavier than theirs but looks and handles larger in every way. It does ride well after you get used to the size and lack of nimbleness. I rode city streets up and down a 2 mile hill and it performed well. I also took it on a horse trail that was steep so I had to use full throttle just to get the bike moving. I need to get used to the weight and not stop on a steep incline as it get cumbersome to get back going. Slow is not good as on rougher terrain as the balance is tricky until the heavy Nero picks up some speed. I bought the premium Nero with the front rack and accessories. It has Tektro Aries mechanical brakes (I was hoping that they would upgrade it to the hydraulic brakes like on the current Nero) and an S-ride RD-M310 8 speed with rapid fire shifters. I installed the front light on the rack instead of on the fork. I think I will change the light to the fork that way the light beam turns with the wheel instead of inline with the rack. The light is fairly bright. I think it is more for dusk on city streets than full illumination. Nice, the rear light lights up when braking. The spoke reflectors are not intuitive as there does not seem to be a custom fit between spokes. I also have to figure out where to mount the rear reflector using the mounts given. There are no instructions for the reflector installation.

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_2206.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 584
I finally got time to assemble my Nero. This is a big machine. It is massive compared to my kids' e-bikes (pic below). It's only 20 pounds heavier than theirs but looks and handles larger in every way. It does ride well after you get used to the size and lack of nimbleness. I rode city streets up and down a 2 mile hill and it performed well. I also took it on a horse trail that was steep so I had to use full throttle just to get the bike moving. I need to get used to the weight and not stop on a steep incline as it get cumbersome to get back going. Slow is not good as on rougher terrain as the balance is tricky until the heavy Nero picks up some speed. I bought the premium Nero with the front rack and accessories. It has Tektro Aries mechanical brakes (I was hoping that they would upgrade it to the hydraulic brakes like on the current Nero) and an S-ride RD-M310 8 speed with rapid fire shifters. I installed the front light on the rack instead of on the fork. I think I will change the light to the fork that way the light beam turns with the wheel instead of inline with the rack. The light is fairly bright. I think it is more for dusk on city streets than full illumination. Nice, the rear light lights up when braking. The spoke reflectors are not intuitive as there does not seem to be a custom fit between spokes. I also have to figure out where to mount the rear reflector using the mounts given. There are no instructions for the reflector installation.
Congratulations on your bike, mine is still in the box. Regarding the brakes I think I have mechanical as well, have you figured out which motor size U have? 500 versus 750?
Curious....

Have fun with your Nero. I did not look at the motor wattage yet. I figured that the 500W or 750W jump in specs was probably marketing driven, I don’t know? What I am interested in seeing is the measured torque of each motor as opposed to the claimed wattage.

Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear!

close ups of the s-ride shifter and real world experience with them would be great. Thanks.

Got mine. Assembled and working great. Only went for a 1.5 mile ride. It is 34 degrees and a bit of snow and ice.....

Originally the front light wasn't working. I had the wire rotated 180 degrees. I think I saw someone state their light wasn't working. Maybe they did the same thing.

Also, when I originally mounted the light on the fork/shock it hit the front rack when the shock compressed(premium package). I now have the light and extension cord mounted to the front of the rack...

Nero - weight

I see the Espin site now lists the Nero's weight at 110 pounds.

I weighed my bike without battery = 68 pounds (includes premium package = front and rear racks, lights, water bottle holder, phone holder)
Battery = 8.4 pounds
Total = 76.4 pounds

Got mine. Assembled and working great. Only went for a 1.5 mile ride. It is 34 degrees and a bit of snow and ice.....

Originally the front light wasn't working. I had the wire rotated 180 degrees. I think I saw someone state their light wasn't working. Maybe they did the same thing.

Also, when I originally mounted the light on the fork/shock it hit the front rack when the shock compressed(premium package). I now have the light and extension cord mounted to the front of the rack...
We assembled ours and made the same mistake with the front light as there were no directions on how to assemble. Espin responded telling us the arrow goes on the bottom, not top. Like you we moved our headlight to the front rack so the rack would not hit the light. Works ok now. It is bigger and heavier than we expected.

Nero - weight

I see the Espin site now lists the Nero's weight at 110 pounds.

I weighed my bike without battery = 68 pounds (includes premium package = front and rear racks, lights, water bottle holder, phone holder)
Battery = 8.4 pounds
Total = 76.4 pounds
Thanks. I guess it is heavier than my 55 lb Sport but not much heavier than my daughter`s Lectric xp.

Congratulations on your bike, mine is still in the box. Regarding the brakes I think I have mechanical as well, have you figured out which motor size U have? 500 versus 750?
Curious....
Espin sent us a video on how to mount reflectors. Too bad the video does not work.

I got my yesterday and assembly it myself. All was good until I got to the reflectors. I cant figure out how to fit them on the spokes. Does anyone know how to do this? Help!!!
Each piece is one half of the wheel reflector. It goes across ( horizontally) the spokes and then the 2 pieces are screwed together. I think we only have one for the front wheel.

We assembled ours and made the same mistake with the front light as there were no directions on how to assemble. Espin responded telling us the arrow goes on the bottom, not top. Like you we moved our headlight to the front rack so the rack would not hit the light. Works ok now. It is bigger and heavier than we expected.
This bike is really big. My initial reaction is it is larger than it needs to be. However, I did buy this with the racks with the thought that it would be more of a cargo bike.

I actually stumbled across one on Craigslist that someone is selling because of the size.

Hi there, can those of you who received their Nero comment on how well the shifter, derailleur and gearing works on it? Reason i ask if I'm about to buy a sport and hey've gone to the same S-Ride equipment.

My understanding is the shifters pull to upshift with your index finger? Are they smooth? Are the gears both high and low enough for you?

Also, how about the PAS buttons and display? Display color? Buttons work well?

Thanks.

What are the box dimensions? Did it come in a crate?
Congratulations!
No crate. Just double box like other Espin bikes. There is a hand hold on each side of the box. I would say bike is about 65 lbs. We did not weigh it.

Hi there, can those of you who received their Nero comment on how well the shifter, derailleur and gearing works on it? Reason i ask if I'm about to buy a sport and hey've gone to the same S-Ride equipment.

My understanding is the shifters pull to upshift with your index finger? Are they smooth? Are the gears both high and low enough for you?

Also, how about the PAS buttons and display? Display color? Buttons work well?

Thanks.
Everything works fine. I think the gearing range is a little better on the Nero compared to my Spring 2020 Sport. Display is color.. We have not had much chance to ride lately due to the weather.

I think the gearing range is a little better on the Nero compared to my Spring 2020 Sport. Display is color.
How so? Gearing range is now 13-32 vs most likely 12-34 you have on your sport (we have 11-34 on our flow) . Am disappointed they reduced the range.

I'd ask how readable the display is, but sounds like you aren't looking at it in bright sun with sunglasses on.

How so? Gearing range is now 13-32 vs most likely 12-34 you have on your sport (we have 11-34 on our flow) . Am disappointed they reduced the range.

I'd ask how readable the display is, but sounds like you aren't looking at it in bright sun with sunglasses on.
I believe our Nero is 11-34. We ordered in the summer. Recived in January. This is the 2020 Nero. Does have S Ride.

Back