Espin Nero

One thing is confusing is they show it with the rear rack, but they include the rear rack in their list of upgrades for the premium package. I'm hoping the base model comes with the rear rack since it is always pictured that way.
I'm thinking about ordering one myself, but I will assume the rack is not included since it's listed as a premium add-on, and I would not add the premium option. You could always ask about it on their website chat if it's important to you. They weren't able to answer me about what cassette it uses, only that it is a 7 speed.

I was very close to ordering a R1U 500 and canceled when the ship date was changed to last August. I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting until next year at this point. I'm still riding my standard bike in the meantime, so it's not that big of a deal.
We have both a Ride1up 500 and an Espin Sport. Pros with the 500, seems lighter (maybe because no rack or fenders) but I also think frame components are thinner. Throttle works without assistance ( in 0,).Cheaper for extra battery and battery options. Has a bottle cage. Pros for Espin, more integrated battery, hydraulic brakes, comes with rear rack and fenders.

Looks like a Rad Rover Step-Thru 1. Virtually identical specs. And frame geometry looks like a knock off. So a knock off of a knock off. How original !
I just purchased a Flow this morning. What do you think of this Nero at 999.00 with the accessories?

I like the Flow. Looks better. Integrated battery. The Nero looks a lot heavier. With all accessories it is same price as Flow or more.

Nero is a fat tire bike. No add-ons makes it $999 for early bird pricing. Compare that to the Radrover.

We have both a Ride1up 500 and an Espin Sport. Pros with the 500, seems lighter (maybe because no rack or fenders) but I also think frame components are thinner. Throttle works without assistance ( in 0,).Cheaper for extra battery and battery options. Has a bottle cage. Pros for Espin, more integrated battery, hydraulic brakes, comes with rear rack and fenders.
Some other things I like about the 500 are the higher top gear thanks to a 11T cog on the rear cassette, slightly wider tires, setting to change number of assist levels, and programmable assist levels.

An Espin Nero and Ride1UP 500 look like they would be a perfect combo for me, with one fat tire and one regular tire bike. Due to the early bird pricing on the Nero, I'm tempted to go ahead and order one now, despite the October shipping, and save my next bike purchase for later on. My plan has always been to have at least 2 e-bikes by next spring so that if one was out of service, I would still have a backup, and it makes sense to have a little variety in styles. I might even get an e-mountain bike later on at a greater expense if I get into that. Not this year, though.

Last edited:
The fact that they offer it in a very nice deep blue is a real bonus. If I was buying it, I might choose that over stealth black. One thing is confusing is they show it with the rear rack, but they include the rear rack in their list of upgrades for the premium package. I'm hoping the base model comes with the rear rack since it is always pictured that way. This is a really nice deal, and I think would make a great first ebike for someone wanting to ride a little on some trails as well as the street, which around here is needed as paths are very few, and roads can be very narrow.

The rear rack is included for 1199.00. I just bought one.

Nero is a fat tire bike. No add-ons makes it $999 for early bird pricing. Compare that to the Radrover.

Some other things I like about the 500 are the higher top gear thanks to a 11T cog on the rear cassette, slightly wider tires, setting to change number of assist levels, and programmable assist levels.

An Espin Nero and Ride1UP 500 look like they would be a perfect combo for me, with one fat tire and one regular tire bike. Due to the early bird pricing on the Nero, I'm tempted to go ahead and order one now, despite the October shipping, and save my next bike purchase for later on. My plan has always been to have at least 2 e-bikes by next spring so that if one was out of service, I would still have a backup, and it makes sense to have a little variety in styles. I might even get an e-mountain bike later on at a greater expense if I get into that. Not this year, though.
Congratulations !

Now on to my quest for dual suspension value MTB!

UHVO for Eunorau but underpowered motor.

Did Espin say they are no longer selling through dealers?

UHVO for Eunorau but underpowered motor.

Did Espin say they are no longer selling through dealers?
I'm not sure they ever actually did. Last time I clicked on the websites of their listed dealers, I found none that actually stocked the bikes. There was one in Scottsdale (Phatride) that did carry them last year, but have dropped them this year.

Last edited:
The rear rack is included for 1199.00. I just bought one.
Thanks! Hmm, I'm waiting for a reply from them. They list the rear rack as an $85 value, so the most I would expect it to cost is $999+$85, but realistically based on the pictures it should be included, or they need to change their photos. At most it seems the rear rack should be +$50 if bought with the bike given the price of the premium pack. Still a good deal, but not as good if they are charging an extra 20% for the rear rack.

Thanks! Hmm, I'm waiting for a reply from them. They list the rear rack as an $85 value, so the most I would expect it to cost is $999+$85, but realistically based on the pictures it should be included, or they need to change their photos. At most it seems the rear rack should be +$50 if bought with the bike given the price of the premium pack. Still a good deal, but not as good if they are charging an extra 20% for the rear rack.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the Sport or Flow. I'm 99% sure the rear rack is standard with the Flow or Sport but may be extra with the Nero...

It does look like they removed their location finder. Maybe they are going direct only to compete with R1U and the like.

Since you have both, are the batteries the same? Can we swap them?

Since you have both, are the batteries the same? Can we swap them?
Unfortunately not. The ride1up 500 sits on the frame. Ride sells batteries for their bikes at a reasonable cost. The Espin Sport battery is recessed. I was wondering whether the battery for one of the other Ride bikes might fit.

Ride1UP lists separate batteries for their different models, with only the LMT'D and Core5 sharing the same battery type.

I've been a lurker for a long time; I've visited tons of different brand forums and threads on here, and Mike tends to disparage any company that doesn't use a dealer network. When Espin first cut their prices, he was complaining how they were selling "below invoice" and how no dealers will want to carry them anymore, it was a terrible business decision, etc etc etc.

I recently contacted Espin because I was curious how the new pricing was affecting sales, and the Espin rep got back to me and said they had never seen such a high demand and were thrilled at the new pricing.

If you look at Mike's comments in other threads historically, he was saying that Espin bikes were great quality, well made, and a good value. Now, as soon as they cut out the middlemen, they are just another white label brand that "slaps a logo on a chinese knock off."

Last edited:
Reactions: BET
I've been a lurker for a long time; I've visited tons of different brand forums and threads on here, and Mike never fails to disparage any company that doesn't use a dealer network. When Espin first cut their prices, he was complaining how they were selling "below invoice" and how no dealers will want to carry them anymore, it was a terrible business decision, etc etc etc.

I recently contacted Espin because I was curious how the new pricing was affecting sales, and the Espin rep got back to me and said they had never seen such a high demand and were thrilled at the new pricing.

If you look at Mike's comments in other threads historically, he was saying that Espin bikes were great quality, well made, and a good value. Now, as soon as they cut out the middlemen, they are just another white label brand that "slaps a logo on a chinese knock off."

So is Espin no longer using dealers?

Back