EMTB pedals

Another difference is that there are no LEDs on the Stance battery to see approx where you're at for charging like on the Fathom.
Is your Stance battery different from this Trance one? My Smart EnergyPaks do have LED indicator:
1612069020254.png

None of my e-bikes (Vado, Trance, Lovelec) can be turned on while the battery's charging on the bike.

Yeah why do they make so many battery configurations that are not compatible? It would be nice if you could use your 2nd battery on a long trip. That is why I settled on a 2019 Moustache Samedi race 4 instead of the Norco Sight VLT that RuffRuff got , as the Moustache used the same powerpack 500s that we already had.
Yeah I get that. Looks like Giant went through a few designs and now the front load is it... for a while? Stuff changes when you get up in the morning.

AHA!!!
Thanks Stefan, I had not tried charging off the bike yet!
Very similar, except only 4 LEDs instead of 5.
OK. The 500 Wh battery has four LEDs while the 625 one has five of them (I've just checked that out). Now I get what you said: You cannot inspect the progress of charging with the battery on the bike.

now for the RANT!!! I just spent 5k on a bike and I have to buy pedals for it!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Same... my last bike came with kick-ass Shimano pedals, but then I bought a new one (and not a cheap one), and it same with... decidedly non-grippy plastic pedals. There was a questionnaire when I registered my bike, so I did take that opportunity to voice my displeasure.

Some make excuses "Pedals are something specific to the rider, so you should choose". Is that not true about the saddle, the tires, and the suspension? More to the point, if your care came with a POS steering wheel and the company told you "Well, we know people like to personalize their steering wheel, so.."

But... such is life. If we are well off enough to be worrying about such things, then I suppose we should be happy.

Same... my last bike came with kick-ass Shimano pedals, but then I bought a new one (and not a cheap one), and it same with... decidedly non-grippy plastic pedals. There was a questionnaire when I registered my bike, so I did take that opportunity to voice my displeasure.

Some make excuses "Pedals are something specific to the rider, so you should choose". Is that not true about the saddle, the tires, and the suspension? More to the point, if your care came with a POS steering wheel and the company told you "Well, we know people like to personalize their steering wheel, so.."

But... such is life. If we are well off enough to be worrying about such things, then I suppose we should be happy.
Yup when I look at almost any bike in the store now with the wisdom of hindsight ,now matter how pricey , I can see right away that I will probably be swapping out the seats, grips and pedals and tires as soon as possible. Then there are the things that you do not notice at first glance ,such as chains and cassettes. My newest mountain Ebike came with a Sunrace cassette which lasted 1000 km. That is unacceptable to me. 3 years ago I bought an R+M Nevo base model. I thought that the high price meant it would have great components all around, but I had to return it after 30 km on rocky trails where I found out the fork was inadequate. Now I look at ebikes knowing that the motor system and frame will be the most important decisions since those are about the only things I will never be replacing. Then I do the mental calculations to see how much more I will be spending in the very near future to upgrade the damn thing. (-:

Last edited:
Yup when I look at almost any bike in the store now with the wisdom of hindsight ,now matter how pricey , I can see right away that I will probably be swapping out the seats, grips and pedals and tires as soon as possible. Then there are the things that you do not notice at first glance ,such as chains and cassettes. My newest mountain Ebike came with a Sunrace cassette which lasted 1000 km. That is unacceptable to me. 3 years ago I bought an R+M Nevo base model. I thought that at that high price it would have great components all around, but I had to return it after 30 km on rocky trails where I found out the fork was not nearly as capable as the frame and motor. Now I look at ebikes knowing that the motor system and frame will be the most important decisions since those are about the only things I will never be replacing. Then I do the mental calculations to see how much more I will be spending in the very near future to upgrade the damn thing. (-:
In July I purchased a new Giant Fathom E+Pro
Here's what's been replaced and why.

Tires - this is not really fair, but I needed spiked for winter. I did buy some Johnny Watts on sale too, as an experiment for an allrounder tire for summer. We are normally riding in very dry conditions, and I do ride the paved paths with non MTB friends.
Handlebars- needed a slightly different geometry due to neck issues. 35mm rise. Done at purchase.
Grips - wanted to try out Ergon grips with wings. Got GP2s
Saddle - wasn't too unhappy with stock, but wanted to try to improve comfort for those 50km+ rides. Tried WTB Volt and Koda. Kept the Koda.
Seatpost - Added Suntour NCX for comfort and a PNW Coast dropper for utility. I use both, depending on type of riding. If pathways with friends, then NCX with seatpost rack and trunk bag. If trails and single track, then dropper. At present, Giant stock saddle is on NCX for a quick change.
Pedals - added some Oneup composites at purchase. I would characterise that as a need, not a want.

6 component changes.
I would say 3 were needs, and 3 were wants.
As this post was about pedals, in the context of a new e-Mtb, new pedals were definitely a need.

As this post was about pedals, in the context of a new e-Mtb, new pedals were definitely a need.
The LBS have instantly liked me when I produced my own pedals upon receiving my new Trance E+. The spec reads: "Pedals N/A". The LBS would have to give me some cheapos if I insisted.

I need to repeat: Expensive e-MTBs and road e-bikes come without pedals.

I've been watching a lot of you get colored pedals to match your ride, and as part of my overall "just in case" shopping for spare parts, I followed suit and got some red ones to match my ride.
I have been happy with my OneUp composites, so I just got a set of them in red. Next time I give the bike a good clean I'll likely swap them out.
Nothing like new pedals with sharp pins to do a number on the shins - just in time for shorts weather!.
RedPedals.JPG

At the same time I picked up a new lid - a Fox Speedframe Pro. My other helmets are 10 years old and were due to be retired.
Decided to stick with Black rather than any colour - I was surprised how much cooler it is as compared to my old ones.
I like the safety ratings and the fit was better than my other finalist - the Specialized Ambush Comp.

SpeedframePro.JPG

Now all I need is some Red grips (Ergon GA3 -L) and ROGER will be more colour coordinated.

RedGrips.JPG

Back