EMTB pedals

On my city bike, the combo pedals were great, but never in a million years would i put them on my MTB.
What i do need to do on my OneUp platform pedals, is back off on the spikes a bit. Even a tiny bump into the shin or calf is likely to leave a mark. Like when you're just stopped and kick a pedal to get the one you want to start out with into the correct place.
This has been a consideration for me too. Taking some of the spikes out is a possibility but detracts from the grip overall.

On my city bike, the combo pedals were great, but never in a million years would i put them on my MTB.
What i do need to do on my OneUp platform pedals, is back off on the spikes a bit. Even a tiny bump into the shin or calf is likely to leave a mark. Like when you're just stopped and kick a pedal to get the one you want to start out with into the correct place.
I simply replaced the m3x10 bolts with m3xm9 bolts on my oneup pedals. They still have more than enough grip for offroad use. Total cost was $7

I have Deore XT pedals. They came with long pins but had a baggy full of short pins in the box. I now have long pins on one side and short on the other. The tread on my shoes I wear determines which side I use.
I had to change to long as the rain caused too much slippage in the winter.

Pins on pedals is the best thing since ,er, no I better not say that. Anyway they're real good. Yeah I've barked my shins two or three times now and I'll probably do it a few more times but pins are the best thing since .... IDK but I ain't goin back.

I favor using clipless on my road bikes and platform pedals on my mountain bikes. 😉
Here are a few examples of different types of clipless: SPD, Eggbeaters, and Platform.
1611799265787.png

Attachments

• 1611799237442.png
    1611799237442.png
    661.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I have been running Spank Spike Platform pedals on my bikes for a couple of years now and have no complaints. Kinda pricey but the bearings are rock solid and you can scrape them on rocks or whatnot and they won't blow apart under your foot. Here's a pic from a couple of bikes and years ago
IMG_0999.JPG

I was used to using SPD pedals on my road bike so when I got the Giant Dirt E I wanted a clipless pedal. I don't do any technical trail riding so they work fine and allow me to have an efficient rotation pulling up as well as the stroke down.

I picked them up on Amazon for about $65 Cdn. I don't gamble but I'm willing to bet that when I get on the bike 9 times out of 10 the clip is facing up.

....and I've also heard that the OEM pedals on the Giant Stance e+2 are abysmmal so when I get a fancy new bike like Dave Matthews ;) I'll put them on that one.

Pedals... Rumour has it that the stock pedals on my new 2021 Stance E 29er are a POS.
Many of the 3rd party pedals are a much slimmer design which looks a lot better to me.
RaceFace, Rockbros, Ansjs, etc.
Any preference regarding grip, longevity, or???
are the batteries compatible between your bikes Dave ?

Last edited:
are the batteries compatible between your bikes Dave ?
Sadly no.
The Stance battery fits in the frame from the outside/front of the downtube, and the Fathom battery from the inside/rear.
Another difference is that there are no LEDs on the Stance battery to see approx where you're at for charging like on the Fathom.
Also, the Stance cannot be powered on while charging. Kinda miss that.

Sadly no.
The Stance battery fits in the frame from the outside/front of the downtube, and the Fathom battery from the inside/rear.
Another difference is that there are no LEDs on the Stance battery to see approx where you're at for charging like on the Fathom.
Also, the Stance cannot be powered on while charging. Kinda miss that.
Yeah why do they make so many battery configurations that are not compatible? It would be nice if you could use your 2nd battery on a long trip. That is why I settled on a 2019 Moustache Samedi race 4 instead of the Norco Sight VLT that RuffRuff got , as the Moustache used the same powerpack 500s that we already had.

Yeah why do they make so many battery configurations that are not compatible? It would be nice if you could use your 2nd battery on a long trip. That is why I settled on a 2019 Moustache Samedi race 4 instead of the Norco Sight VLT that RuffRuff got , as the Moustache used the same powerpack 500s that we already had.

There has been a lot of very shortsighted development in the last 3 years. At first I thought it was chasing form over function, but a recent experience with poor parts compatibility on my 2018 Giant full e pro has me realising the industry might be racing forward without any consideration of existing customers.

For perspective, I've just built a pump track bike by transferring parts from my 2009 specialized ds analogue to a brand new marin hardtail frame. The ONLY issue with compatibility was sourcing an adaptor to fit the straight tube forks into a tapered frame ( a $10 fix) . Yet I can't use the original evo screen my ebike came with for the motor that was replaced under warranty !!!!!

Back