EMTB pedals

How much are you going to spend on pedals Dave?

Composite or CNC machine alloy.
Are you a hard core riderl

Maybe you don’t need to change the pedals
Amazon is a seductive mistress.

How much are you going to spend on pedals Dave?

Composite or CNC machine alloy.
Are you a hard core riderl

Maybe you don’t need to change the pedals
Amazon is a seductive mistress.
I don't think I need to spend much. Flat pedals look better than what I have, and of those I think composite looks good.
Of the composites it seems that Oneup and Chesters are at the top of my list.
I am a casual rider, but like to get into the dirt a bit. So the lower profile of the flat composites is appealing for strikes.
Let's face it, if I were hard core I would have gone Trance over Stance. I don't need anything crazy high end.

If you’re not going to be doing “hardcore” mountain biking and want to avoid tearing up your shins on metal pins, check out RaceFace Ride composite pedals.....Lot‘s of pretty color options too!! 🤪

now for the RANT!!! I just spent 5k on a bike and I have to buy pedals for it!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Word perfect for when I bought my giant.:) I test rode it with the giant alloy pedals , got a significant discount because it was a ( brand new) demo bike, and then the lbs was about to remove the pedals on handover. 👺At the time I felt cheated, but now I've gotten to know the lbs I realise it was a sign of respect - high end customers apparently have firm ideas about contact points. He'd already spent ages swapping stems and bars to suit my ergos ( for free), and was probably about to offer me choices...ooops.

I have them in storage , I use the bontragers currently. Maybe you’re right about them or you bought the wrong size. They did however get good online reviews and I never had a problem with any of shimano’s components so I’m not expecting any issues when I do use them. Hopefully I won’t be disappointed.

That was my thinking when I put them on sprog 3's bike - I trust shimano, xt is my usual price bracket, and they look decent. It's probably an indication of how we all differ - ie they are probably perfectly ok but I'm doing something wrong which the one up pedals are hiding? But sprog 3 needed to do a lot of pin adjystment to feel comfortable with them , and sprogette 1 hates them ( she is the one who likes plate sized platforms) .

Anyway, I hope I haven't introduced doubt where it isn't justified.

I don't think I need to spend much. Flat pedals look better than what I have, and of those I think composite looks good.
Of the composites it seems that Oneup and Chesters are at the top of my list.
I am a casual rider, but like to get into the dirt a bit. So the lower profile of the flat composites is appealing for strikes.
Let's face it, if I were hard core I would have gone Trance over Stance. I don't need anything crazy high end.
No doubt that the chesters are a very popular composite pedal (probably one of the most popular).

They dont really work well for larger feet. I have size 13 feet and the outside of my feet go numb after just 15 or so minutes on the chesters.

The OneUp and Stamp 1 (in a large) also work well for large feet which is why I use them.

I also only use composite pedals
/they are only a tiny bit larger then the Chesters the ones I showed you are far bigger designed for size 13 feet. its huge difference. here is a side by side
IMG_1052.jpeg

Im assuming that you know that the Stamp1 pedals come in regular and large sizes

Thats a great pedal(catalyst) if thats what you want (more fore/aft).

Its not what I currently or have ever actually required, I want the platform as wide as possible.

Pedaling innovations even states they are not any wider and in fact are actually narrower

As stated at their own website

pedal.PNG

And here are the exact measurements
pedals.jpg

As a reference, here are the length/width for a few pedals being mentioned(measured by me)

Pedal Width Length
OneUp 4.25 4.5
Stamp1 4.5 4.5 (size large)
Chester 4.0 4.25

At $125 a pop, I will pass as the costs would add up on my 6 bikes.

By all means if they work for you.....awesome, more choices for everyone

Last edited:
Consider yourself lucky as you got a set... all high-end road bikes are sold without pedals. 😉
All high-end bikes are sold without pedals :D That's because an advanced cyclist perceives pedals as their personal item (similar to shoes). Expensive bikes may also come with basic cheap pedals with the intention to be replaced as soon as possible...

( I only use CrankBrothers Stamp Large pedals, especially in the cold season. The only exception I make is replacing them with RaceFace Ride on my Vado for the warm season, as these pedals are easy on shins and calves).

As stated at their own website

View attachment 77640

Wow! I have never seen that "explanation" and I am not sure if it is anything more than a gimmick. I would love to hear from anyone that has these pedals and has actually been for a proper bike fit with them. I was always told (for almost 50 years) that you put the widest part of your foot on the widest part of the pedal. Just for the record I have Shimano PD-EH500 pedals on my e-bike, giving me the choice of riding clipped in or not.

I was always told (for almost 50 years) that you put the widest part of your foot on the widest part of the pedal.
"The times they are a-changing". It is actually easy and convenient to place your foot on the pedal as you please and not being forced to a single foot position. (While clipless pedals have their benefits, it is hopeless to ride them unclipped).

1611730277819.png

The great feature of large platform pedals is you can place your foot as you please without any adverse effects.

I agree with the Bob Dylan reference but the EH500's are single sided so they really do offer the best of both worlds and are totally usable with or without cleats:
I own similar Shimano pedals and cleated MTB shoes - these lay somewhere unused :) I got very disappointed with them. When not clipped in, the shoes slide on the pedals. When clipped in, an unexpected road situation might lead to an accident if you are taken by surprise and have no time to jerk your feet out of the pedals (such a situation I experienced made me hate the clipless solution). On the other hand, my brother uses cleated shoes and clipless pedals only.

There are numerous medical predicaments not to use clipless pedals, too. To each their own.

I own similar Shimano pedals and cleated MTB shoes - these lay somewhere unused :) I got very disappointed with them. When not clipped in, the shoes slide on the pedals. When clipped in, an unexpected road situation might lead to an accident if you are taken by surprise and have no time to jerk your feet out of the pedals (such a situation I experienced made me hate the clipless solution). On the other hand, my brother uses cleated shoes and clipless pedals only.

There are numerous medical predicaments not to use clipless pedals, too. To each their own.
Yeah, this is my thinking as well. Not interested in being clipped in and having any difficulty whatsoever in releasing.

Having tried them, I think the combo pedals suck. Mediocre as clipless pedals and mediocre as flats. Best to decide what type of pedal you want to run and get a nice set of those than mess with something that tries to be both.

On my city bike, the combo pedals were great, but never in a million years would i put them on my MTB.
What i do need to do on my OneUp platform pedals, is back off on the spikes a bit. Even a tiny bump into the shin or calf is likely to leave a mark. Like when you're just stopped and kick a pedal to get the one you want to start out with into the correct place.

Back