eMTB Options For 2024

I wanted to save some $$ and get a Haibike or a BH. Or even the Bulls, or Commencal. This latter looked really attractive. The YT being close by made the decision difficult - they have a really nice product. In the end I was leaning toward choosing a dealer, rather than a bike, and that's why I chose what I did. It helped that a fellow dirtbiker from another continent was advocating for Giant - @PDoz - the guy knows his stuff.

I would have taken a Turbo Levo Comp if I could have got one for four-grand. I couldn't get a Trek dealer to even bring a bike in, let alone sell one for four grand. Funny how these things boil down to a solid option. With enough comparison shopping it's easy to make a decision - it kind of gets made for you.

Now I'm just sorry I didn't jump on this mountain bike thing years ago. I guess the thought of pedaling up hills just didn't appeal. LOL With assist it's a breeze, and just so much fun. And yes, the Giant is performing very well, zero complaints. 👍

I want to thank all contributors here - lots of excellent links, comments, and advice. 👏
Yes, and your contribution to the forum was outstanding IMO, due to your geo-location and having the ability to visit all of the LBS for comparison and review. A wealth of info left here. I also liked your ability to pick some of my favorite brands that I have been paying close attention to as well. Many of your picks were also candidates for me as well, however, timing for me was my ultimate pick of the Haibike 10.0, which I have no regrets with thus far.

As soon as I became aware of E-bikes, I was sold hands down. Soon after, one of the Expos came to town nearby, and that was a great selling point and an additional search began for an eMTB.

I can see your point as to not wanting to pedal uphill, coming from a guy who is use to moto-cross machine power propelling you up a steep incline. Back in the day, when I owned a Yamaha XT250, I loved it, however, after having too many close calls, I called it quits and replaced it immediately with a MTB acoustic bike. Now I kinda feel like I am getting the best of both worlds and don't think I'll ever look back. 🚴‍♀️😜

FYI-Nice stand, however, the Reliancer only accommodates tire widths up to 2.4 inches. I personally have 2.8 plus size tires, so it would not work for me.

This rack might be a better match for plus size tires... adjustable up to 8" in maximum width. ;)

1585083456574.png

Attachments

• 1585083455226.png
    1585083455226.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 286
Here's a new eMTB coming out later this year...38lbs!

That weight got me reading. Bafang based 250W motor sounds interesting. Don't think I'd ever pre purchase something for $8000 that's nothing more than CGI at this point.

Bought one and it's currently collecting dust. Even though it looks sturdy it's not with heavy eBikes.

One of the reviewers on Amazon suggested adding a band around the top loop to keep the wheel tension.

I use the willworx super stand for 27.5x2.8 tires, its a tight fit but it works.

http://willworx.com/

I actually have 3 of these stands for the following bikes (Juiced CCX, Bulls Evo 3 27.5+, iZip Moda)

I see these used at several bike shops.

Last edited:
One of the reviewers on Amazon suggested adding a band around the top loop to keep the wheel tension.
I'm sure that would help but that's just a work around. The design/build quality doesn't suit heavy bikes. It would be fine for acoustic bike weight I'm sure. I just went and got stands that really work.

Now I'm just sorry I didn't jump on this mountain bike thing years ago. I guess the thought of pedaling up hills just didn't appeal. LOL With assist it's a breeze, and just so much fun. And yes, the Giant is performing very well, zero complaints. 👍

I want to thank all contributors here - lots of excellent links, comments, and advice. 👏

Don't regret the past, you got into the emtb at the perfect time.

imho we only started seeing functional emtb around 2018 and prices / availability at that time were scary, reliability seems to be improving during 2019, and 2020 seems to be where cost is coming down. Next year it'll be weight, and I have my doubts about the wisdom of that for us mere mortals - 2021 we can expect to find out just how fragile a frame / wheel etc can be......

For some reason, carbon fiber for rims doesn't click as well with me verses alloy, but they're probly stronger and surely lighter.

A friend was a design drafter for Hughes and then Boeing, making satellite parts. Lots of carbon fiber. We've tried making a few things with it, it's an interesting medium for sure. I'm just not a machinist. AT ALL. I gotta hand it to the guys that make that stuff.

Two things impress me about Giant - that they make a lot of their own parts, basic components instead of just buying from a company that makes parts, and for choosing the Yamaha drive system. The 'tuning fork' moniker has always been something you can rely on, they make a lot of really great stuff. Most people don't realize there was a time they made racing sailboats - @PDoz oughta be all about that. And the hydrofoil 'wetbike' was WAY ahead of it's time.

Yamaha outboard motors are the best of the best - the very best quality you can buy in that industry. Their pianos aren't that bad either. 👍 I almost bought a PWC, Yamaha makes the best of those as well - the waverunner.

Just to counter the enthusiastic opinion of Browneye about Giant and Yamaha:
  1. There is a company named Specialized Bicycle Components that makes a lot of the stuff themselves;
  2. SBC was the first to make a mass produced MTB. They were also the first to make an e-MTB;
  3. Brose is the second world largest maker of electrical equipment for the automotive industry

:D

Yamaha outboard motors are the best of the best - the very best quality you can buy in that industry.

So you haven't experienced the yamaha outboard cooling channel crudopathy yet?

Tohatsu make tough ( ask and developing nation fisherman ) , merc put badges on them...

and this is emtb - shouldn't we be discussing torqueedo?

1. There is a company named Specialized Bicycle Components that makes a lot of the stuff themselves;
  2. SBC was the first to make a mass produced MTB. They were also the first to make an e-MTB;
  3. Brose is the second world largest maker of electrical equipment for the automotive industry

And specialized are moving away from brose with the sl.....:rolleyes:

To be fair, I'd be riding either a merida or specualized if they were available in 2018, but I'm REALY glad I stumbled onto a giant

Yes, true, right :) To be clear: I'm not against Giant or Yamaha. I only don't want Chris to be carried away as Giant (as any brand) has their ups and downs. If I ever needed a mountain bike, it would be the Specialized Turbo Levo Comp. I could order it right on the spot. No mountains around though and why should I be stuck at 25 km/h?

Well, so does Bosch, but man, their reliability is surely questionable at times for stuff in the automotive industry - been stung by a couple of just complete failures - Duramax injectors and truck-chassis brakes. I'm sure these two proved way costly for them. At least they stand behind their product. But hearing so many comments about warranty claims for ebike motors was off-putting.

I have zero knowledge or experience with Brose. Must be a euro company. Their stuff must get well hidden.

Trek and specialized both make a lot of their own parts - the big-3, making great bikes. 👍

So you haven't experienced the yamaha outboard cooling channel crudopathy yet?

Tohatsu make tough ( ask and developing nation fisherman ) , merc put badges on them...

and this is emtb - shouldn't we be discussing torqueedo?

I had a 150 yammer on a Grady-White sport fisher a decade ago, put about 350 hours on it in 3 years. Not a single issue. I think 300hours is the major cooling system service interval, pulled the lower unit, changed out the pump impeller, and thermostat. Impeller was good - we don't run in sand, and 'stat was a little gunky but still working. I thought it was a great motor. Sold the boat in the 2008 financial melt-down.

I have a Honda BF90 on my Arima sportfisher. Also a very good motor. Would be interesting to see Honda get into this biz. They make a hunky motor for the Observed Trials bikes - namely for Montesa. A lot of the guys swear by that one. Yamaha has a motor for this segment as well. I did a 3-year stint with trials riding club-sponsored competition events. Talk about learning how to control a bike! The best training on earth for offroad riding.

This one happens to be a BETA, but Montesa also uses Honda motors - no, they don't have a seat. LOL You stand on the pegs to ride these.

EVO-300-4-stroke.jpg

2020 Montesa Cota 301RR

hqdefault.jpg

No doubt Yamaha understand the ICE. We don't ride the ICE bikes 🤣

"One in two new vehicles worldwide are currently fitted with at least one Brose product."
/Wikipedia/

Just teasing you, Chris, haha.

Brose is best known for making seat, window, and windshield wiper motors... I would take Yamaha technology over Brose any day. ;)

Back