eMTB Options For 2024

I am leaning towards the JW tires for my next set due to their tread design. I am also starting to see them 'in stock' on more websites than I did a short while ago.

Ordered mine on AZ and they showed up a few days later. Installing them almost took longer, forgot what a PITA getting that last few inches of tyre bead mounted can be!!

About $6k of parts and frame (maybe ):
Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 10.00.19 AM.png

The other $9k:

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 9.59.48 AM.png

Ordered mine on AZ and they showed up a few days later. Installing them almost took longer, forgot what a PITA getting that last few inches of tyre bead mounted can be!!
It was an interesting experience for me Fez. First, I had to remove tubeless valves from both wheels of my Trance E+ (because I went for the tubed setup). The nut in one of the valves stuck and I spent a lot of time to unscrew it. (I'm missing narrow pliers - not sure what the English name is). Installing the first JW was a PITA: I used wet soap to lubricate the last centimetres of the tyre bead.

With the second wheel, I was so infuriated with the stuck valve that I used raw hand power to mount the tyre. I know you need to pinch the tyre from both sides so the bead edges meet inside the central rim groove. Working with both hands, I reached the last inches of the bead. "ROAAARRR!" I growled and threw myself onto the wheel. I pushed the tyre so strongly the bead just jumped in :D Believe or not but installing the second JW took me just 5 minutes :D

Last edited:
Isn't it great to have options?

If you value a light, low powered and more mountain than e bike , then there are 3/4 alternatives now - including one that caters to the pure essence of x country riding. I'd quite like to wield a trek sword thingy, or be a rider.

If you enjoy big numbers, there are LOTS of choices - go for bit wattevers, long fat legs, even pay massive number$ to feel special and be able to point at 6 ways to adjust the frame data.

You can even get excited about a rotten wild same moustache if you're game. Who are we to judge?

Meanwhile, Merida have softened their approach from the mighty e160 to a confusing mix of bikes with , for example, 10 k having nothing to do with the asking price and the limited being less limited by a carbon frame ( it's the alloy framed version last year) .

Meanwhile, all these choices don't exist In 2021. The best emtb is the one you can ride rather than get excited about on the internet

Just a question for a single minded rider. Why would anyone risk buying a brose powered bike without the specialized extended warranty?

The Ultimate emtbs are Rotwild Re 375, Rx 750,Moustache Samedi Game 8/10, BH AtomX carbon.

Rotwild re 375 for ex., a very recent EMTB OF THE YEAR AWARD winner is FAR superior to Levo, but not available in the US. Whoever even dares to argue has zero clues about it. It's like comparing a 1.5 million $ Porsche 918 Spyder to a 60k Corvette...

In our case the Porsche(Rotwild) costs a little less then the Corvette !!

Merida's a good one also:

On some other threads here on Ebr , there were people pumping Trek Ecaliber with 60mm rear travel/120mm front, Fazua 252wh battery @12.000k ., also one needs to bend over, lay down(no kickstand) this whole trash bike in order to remove the battery in order to charge it 😷.... that ecaliber is doomed before even leaving Taiwan !

Do people realize that 252Wh gives them an usable cappacity of only 180-190WH ? We are not discharging beyond 20% or charging above 90-95%. We love our ebikes and their batteries 😉
👎

You can even get excited about a rotten wild same moustache if you're game

Not only excited but also doing the hard work of locating various dealers overseas in order to importone aka buying.

One thing is sure- the age of light+super light ebikes with BIG batteries and powerfull motors is here.

Imho Bosch will be fully ditched for Shimano EP8 by all major companies in the emtb. category.
We already see that hapening with the Bulls , Canyon, Merida, Focus, Pivot, Commencal, Orbea, Ducati , Porsche, Yt Decoy, Santa Cruz , the list goes on and may add Trek/Specialized in due time . So, i guess the beginning of my phrase earlier should have been "it is fully ditched".

Ps. for Mr.Stefan reading this: Don't forget to give this post a thumbs down , thanks and have a nice ride.

Last edited:
Not only excited but eliminating the other competitors by careful research and doing the hard work of importing one aka buying.

One thing is sure- the age of super light ebikes with BIG batteries and powerfull motors is here. Imho Bosch will be fully ditched for Shimano EP8 by all major companies in the emtb. category.

We already see that hapening with the Bulls , Canyon, Merida, Focus, Pivot, Commencal, Orbea, Ducati , Porsche, Yt Decoy, Santa Cruz , the list goes on and may add Trek/Specialized in due time .

Ps. for Mr.Stefan reading this: Don't forget to give this post a thumbs down , thanks and have a nice ride.
More and more light e-mtbs seem to be using the excellent Fazua motor/battery if anything. Shimano ep8 motor is great though.

How can a super light e-bike have a heavy big battery and motor? If it does it isn’t a lightweight at all.

A big battery weighs about 11-12 pounds. That’s about a third of the weight of the just released Trek e-caliber.

More and more light e-mtbs seem to be using the excellent Fazua motor/battery if anything. Shimano ep8 motor is great though.

How can a super light e-bike have a heavy big battery and motor? If it does it isn’t a lightweight at all.

A big battery weighs about 11-12 pounds. That’s about a third of the weight of the just released Trek e-caliber.
Yeah, and that big battery = range.

Yeah, and that big battery = range.

The whole range anxiety thing is e volving.

Back in 2019 , focus built the jam. At the time a 20 kg emtb should have been a game changer, but the journalists decided to talk about range anxiety rather than how sensible range extenders were. I had the pleasure of trying one when I did a 59 km alpine ride with my daughter - which she easily completed on the standard 300 ish wattever battery. Awesome bike, it handled like a normal mountain bike, and that was the day she started leaving me behind down hill ( 12 yo....)

Unfortunately they never sold, so focus went chasing fat batteries for 2020.

Why cart around 2 days worth of battery for a 2 hour ride?. Lots of manufacturers now recognise the logic of range extenders, or at least easily supplemented batteries.

Thankfully, some are starting to realise that the bike with the biggest range is that light and efficient to ride oldbike. So getting an ebike light and easy to ride might make sense?

The whole range anxiety thing is e volving.

Back in 2019 , focus built the jam. At the time a 20 kg emtb should have been a game changer, but the journalists decided to talk about range anxiety rather than how sensible range extenders were. I had the pleasure of trying one when I did a 59 km alpine ride with my daughter - which she easily completed on the standard 300 ish wattever battery. Awesome bike, it handled like a normal mountain bike, and that was the day she started leaving me behind down hill ( 12 yo....)

Unfortunately they never sold, so focus went chasing fat batteries for 2020.

Why cart around 2 days worth of battery for a 2 hour ride?. Lots of manufacturers now recognise the logic of range extenders, or at least easily supplemented batteries.

Thankfully, some are starting to realise that the bike with the biggest range is that light and efficient to ride oldbike. So getting an ebike light and easy to ride might make sense?
Nope, I have almost 1 kilowatt, and it's about what I need for each ride with a reserve incase I extend my ride or the conditions are steeper, more snow, etc. 60lb bike.
I rather have extra battery juice so I don't have to peddle my 60lb bike when it runs dry, instead of peddling a sub 40lb ebike without juice and no range. But thanks anyway.

Nope, I have almost 1 kilowatt, and it's about what I need for each ride with a reserve incase I extend my ride or the conditions are steeper, more snow, etc. 60lb bike.
I rather have extra battery juice so I don't have to peddle my 60lb bike when it runs dry, instead of peddling a sub 40lb ebike without juice and no range. But thanks anyway.

That's 27 kg ? Surely you reach a point where carting around all that weight detracts from the joy of riding? Are you running heated riding gear?

I might be a bit more appreciative of my 23 kg giant - in fact, I could cart around an extra battery and still come in under that weight!

That's 27 kg ? Surely you reach a point where carting around all that weight detracts from the joy of riding? Are you running heated riding gear?

I might be a bit more appreciative of my 23 kg giant - in fact, I could cart around an extra battery and still come in under that weight!
Your kidding right? Detracts? I probably been ridin longer than you know.
And I have never had so much fun on a bike as my 60lb beast. Black diamonds, humph!
Heated gear, lol, nothing of the sort, but then again, I am only riding in -30F or so.

Back