eMTB Options For 2024

Did a little supply chain shopping today. I had a discount coupon so I purchased some supplies to be "ahead of it" if needed.

Sram GX 12speed chain, and 4 Shimano disc pad sets. Also a OneUp dropper switch.
Assembling a spare parts toolkit for when riding away from my home area.

Must be the Boy Scout in me.

Murphy takes a quick look at that list and tosses a coin.

Heads the derailleur hanger

Tails the motor

Murphy takes a quick look at that list and tosses a coin.

Heads the derailleur hanger

Tails the motor
Yeah...but at 2000+ kms, the chain is a given, and the brakes are normal. I can live with heads, tails would be difficult but ultimately cheaper - for now at least.

I need to borrow my buddies chain measuring tool or buy one I guess.

Digital calliper is more practical, accurate and can serve multiple purposes :)
Along those lines a simple ruler requires no batteries, is a device most people already have and likely easier to use for most people. :cool:

I did the ruler measuring thing for over 20 years.

These days I just use the Shimano TL-CN42, simple go/nogo that takes only a few seconds to use

Digital calliper is more practical, accurate and can serve multiple purposes :)
Along those lines a simple ruler requires no batteries, is a device most people already have and likely easier to use for most people. :cool:

I did the ruler measuring thing for over 20 years.

These days I just use the Shimano TL-CN42, simple go/nogo that takes only a few seconds to use
The analog caliper is the best of both worlds... high accuracy and no batteries. 😉

Calliper is far more accurate than the chain wear tool.
(41 years ago I used a slide rule for calculation; found a digital calculator more convenient though).
P.S. FlatSix, have you ever tried to measure a guitar string gauge with the analogue calliper? It hurts :)

Calliper is far more accurate than the chain wear tool.
(41 years ago I used a slide rule for calculation; found a digital calculator more convenient though).
P.S. FlatSix, have you ever tried to measure a guitar string gauge with the analogue calliper? It hurts :)
Not all chain-wear tools are the same (I have owned most). The Shimano tools are considered the most accurate. The TL-CN42 is a cheaper version(but works the same) as the ones mentioned below

The TL-CN42 is simple, requires no flashlight/reading glasses to read and can be done with one hand without any visual verification while your holding the bike up with the other hand

From Sheldon brown site:
There are also special tools made to measure chain wear; these are a bit more convenient, though by no means necessary, and most -- except for the Shimano TL-CN40 and TL-CN41 -- are inaccurate because they allow roller play to confound the measurement of link-pin wear.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html

If you need 0.1mm accuracy, go with the digital caliber. Just be aware there are other sources of measurement error that will make this irrelevant

Ten links in a brand new chain are 5.00 in (127 mm). 0.5% wear means 0.025 in or 0.635 mm. It is simply easier to get digital readout, especially with "mm/in" switch.
(Sheldon Brown sadly passed away well before the e-bike and digital calliper era).

I am dismayed at the lack of Schwalbe Johnny Watts reviews.

Only a few reviews on Amazon and EMTB as it's a relatively new tire. 😉

Ten links in a brand new chain are 5.00 in (127 mm). 0.5% wear means 0.025 in or 0.635 mm. It is simply easier to get digital readout, especially with "mm/in" switch.
(Sheldon Brown sadly passed away well before the e-bike and digital calliper era).
Were digital calibers not around before 2008(I bought my first set in 2003)? Didnt we have the need to measure chain wear before ebikes?

Are you only measuring 5in(127mm)? I thought the standard practice was to measure 12in which would be much more accurate. If your so concerned about accuracy, I suggest measuring more links.

Thanks for providing the numbers for those who want to use digital calibers. The shimano tool is simpler by far and requires no math

Last edited:
1. The chain wear gauge is far shorter than 5".
2. Callipers are typically 6" long unless we are talking about very large ones.
3. There were many tools used out of necessity in the pre-digital era. Abacus, for one. Or, pincers used by a blacksmith to take care of your tooth (no analgesic used).

If Sheldon could ride a modern e-bike and wrote a book on e-bikes, I would be more interested. I looked up the SB Encyclopaedia for "thru-axle". Sorry. The material ends up with Quick Release.

I have to admit I'm not disappointed with the Rekons so far. They have way better rolling than the Forkasters on my Fathom that's for sure. That said the Johnny Watts look like another step up.

I have to admit I'm not disappointed with the Rekons so far.
Why should you. These are excellent off-road tyres. The whole talk on Johnny Watts is related to use of e-MTB in mixed terrain (I used to ride on Rekons for greater part of the last warm season myself).

For a more rails to trail oriented ride, would the Johnny Watts be a suitable replacement for the Super Moto X? If the latter was a 27.5x2.4 would the JW's in 27.5x2.35 or 27.5x2.6 be better? Or stick with the Super Moto X?

For a more rails to trail oriented ride, would the Johnny Watts be a suitable replacement for the Super Moto X? If the latter was a 27.5x2.4 would the JW's in 27.5x2.35 or 27.5x2.6 be better? Or stick with the Super Moto X?
When I look at the tread of Super Moto X, these look "road" to me. Apparently a fast rolling tyre. Johnny Watts are knobby, especially on the corners which should give a good grip off-road. Nobody of us has ridden JW yet, so it is better to wait for first ride reports. Especially as JW seem to be sold out in the U.S. right now. Note: Smart Sam Plus are proven and good tyres for mixed terrain.

Regarding the size: What is the width of your rims? (I'm sure PDoz can give a sound advice having known your ebike rim's width). Also, are you sure there would be enough of clearance for 2.6" tyres in your bike?

Only a few reviews on Amazon and EMTB as it's a relatively new tire. 😉

This tire looks like something to consider over the Smart Sams or Nobby Nics as a replacement. When I see "All Rounder" or "Wide Range" in the description, that seals the deal for me from a very reputable tire company. Another one to add to the bucket list.

Back