eMTB Options For 2024

Thank you! I think I have just been too careless and didn't pay much attention to the Trance recently; taking things for granted. Replacing the chain a.s.a.p.

https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schw...n_2020/Reifen_Felgenkombinationen_2020_EN.pdf

Note that there can be quite alot of allowed variance and many people including myself have exceeded these recommendations for years without any issues. That being said, best to follow the reccomendation.

As far as chainstay clearance, easy to check with an allen wrench. Some people get really close (< 5mm clearance) and that will work as long as your tire/rim stays true (my schwalbe tires seem to have alot of runout) and you dont encounter mud. My minimum is 5mm

So the bike came in yesterday and I put the remaining 10% or so together. Really happy so far! Here's where I am with the rear clearance. This is with the 27.5x2.4 Super Moto X and a 5mm hex for reference. Should I try the JW's in a 2.6?

20210308_130120-web.jpg

20210308_130537-web.jpg

20210308_130742-web.jpg

20210308_130852-web.jpg

Uh, I dunno... Looks very tight. Bear in mind there should be enough clearance to let mud/dirt/pebbles leave the tyre.

Uh, I dunno... Looks very tight. Bear in mind there should be enough clearance to let mud/dirt/pebbles leave the tyre.
The front is a Rockshox Pike Select+ 29" fork with ample clearance. Maybe I should buy one of each and try them. If the 2.6 doesn't fit the back, it will for sure work on the front! Any issues with running two slightly different sized tyres? If it works, the rear would be 27.5x2.6 and the front would be 27.5x2.35. If it doesn't fit then the rear would be 27.5x2.35 and the front would be 27.5x2.6.

The front is a Rockshox Pike Select+ 29" fork with ample clearance. Maybe I should buy one of each and try them. If the 2.6 doesn't fit the back, it will for sure work on the front! Any issues with running two slightly different sized tyres? If it works, the rear would be 27.5x2.6 and the front would be 27.5x2.35. If it doesn't fit then the rear would be 27.5x2.35 and the front would be 27.5x2.6.

The trend at the moment is the other way - slightly narrower rear tyre compared to front. I think the intention is to have the lower rolling resistance from a narrow tyre on the back , but get good braking from a wide tyre on the front?

It seems to help with quick tip in and the ability to slide the back in corners, but the front ends up feeling just a little vague .

Nb I'm splitting VERY thin hairs here - detected using a 3 km test track for bike tweaks . I'll make a change then do a couple of runs to assess. On sprogette 1's scott genius 940 , we run 2.5 rear and 2.6 front. On my ebike I prefer to run the same size f/r .

The trend at the moment is the other way - slightly narrower rear tyre compared to front. I think the intention is to have the lower rolling resistance from a narrow tyre on the back , but get good braking from a wide tyre on the front?

It seems to help with quick tip in and the ability to slide the back in corners, but the front ends up feeling just a little vague .

Nb I'm splitting VERY thin hairs here - detected using a 3 km test track for bike tweaks . I'll make a change then do a couple of runs to assess. On sprogette 1's scott genius 940 , we run 2.5 rear and 2.6 front. On my ebike I prefer to run the same size f/r .
So getting JW's 2.6 for front and 2.35 rear to replace my Super Moto X 2.4's will improve off-road (rails to trails, parks, some single track), be just as good as or possibly improve road (especially in the wet), and improve puncture resistance. Correct?

So getting JW's 2.6 for front and 2.35 rear to replace my Super Moto X 2.4's will improve off-road (rails to trails, parks, some single track), be just as good as or possibly improve road (especially in the wet), and improve puncture resistance. Correct?

All I can comment on is 2.6 f / 2.5 rear plus a 2.5 f / 2.4 r , because that's all I've tried.

I think 2.6 to 2.35 might be going a bit too far - aren't they suited to different rim width ?

On running wider tire in the front

Not sure what the current trend is these days but I have seen this done and have done it for quite awhile. A search on mtbr.com will also show its quite common.

The rationale:
1.) Less weight on the front means less traction up front. This can also be compensated by lowering front tire pressure but this only works so far. Can also use different tire compounds/treads. All sort of possible combinations here.
2.) For most bikes I have looked at/owned, chainstay clearance has always been the limiting issue.
3.) A bigger front with lower tire pressure is more comfy on the hands
4.) Getting the front tire over something and/or thru a corner is most of the battle. In other words, if your front tire made it, you will likely make it.

Only negative I can think of is slightly altering geometry by raising the front end a tad.

Last edited:
All I can comment on is 2.6 f / 2.5 rear plus a 2.5 f / 2.4 r , because that's all I've tried.

I think 2.6 to 2.35 might be going a bit too far - aren't they suited to different rim width ?
Im doing that on a bike (iZip Moda E3) without issues using 24mm inner width rims. Chainstay clearance in the back wont allow a 2.6 in the rear.

Sure its not ideal but has worked fine. I definately have more front end traction with a 2.6 up front than the same tire(smart sam) in a 2.35 width.

Rim width is 35, so no problems there. The 2.8's might have been pushing it!! I could get both at the 2.35, or I could get one at 2.6. Getting one of each will help me know for sure if the 2.6 will clear the chainstays etc. I would install it to check for future reference, then move it to the front. Next time the rear wears out I will know whether it can do 2.6 or stay with the 2.35. Was curious if running a 2.6 f / 2.35 r was going to cause any weird ride characteristics!

Rim width is 35, so no problems there. The 2.8's might have been pushing it!! I could get both at the 2.35, or I could get one at 2.6. Getting one of each will help me know for sure if the 2.6 will clear the chainstays etc. I would install it to check for future reference, then move it to the front. Next time the rear wears out I will know whether it can do 2.6 or stay with the 2.35. Was curious if running a 2.6 f / 2.35 r was going to cause any weird ride characteristics!
You can run 2.8s on 35mm rim width just fine assuming you have the clearance. Many ebikes are equipped that way stock like my Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ hardtail.

Running 2.6f/2.35r will likely be fine as Im doing it as well. I didnt notice anything but you might not like some aspect of the combo. Who knows....just try it. Just dont try to ride it like you stole it till you have determined if you like it.

You can run 2.8s on 35mm rim width just fine assuming you have the clearance. Many ebikes are equipped that way stock like my Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ hardtail.

Running 2.6f/2.35r will likely be fine as Im doing it as well. I didnt notice anything but you might not like some aspect of the combo. Who knows....just try it. Just dont try to ride it like you stole it till you have determined if you like it.

This is a Bulls Sentinel 2.0 with the Rockshox Pike Select+ 29" fork, I think it could handle the 2.8 if I wanted to put that on there. If I order a 2.35 and a 2.6 and the 2.6 fits the rear with reasonable clearance, maybe I'll rtn the 2.35 for a 2.8 for the front!

Hi friends,

I drove to Specialized Brand Store in Warsaw yesterday: the reason was to replenish my chain/small parts stock for Trance E+. Specialized Warsaw store was opened on Saturday, and they keep a lot of hardware for sale that is even hard to be bought online nowadays. Of course, I was admiring e-bikes exhibited there. And I looked a bit longer at this Levo:

1615698826183.png

Not sure what model that really was (I was not that interested). However, two details have attracted my attention: the FOX Float Rhythm 36 fork (it could be 160 mm of travel) and FOX DPX EVOL damper. Very, very similar to what I got on my Trance E+ 2 Pro. Given big price difference between Specialized and Giant e-MTBs, I left the store satisfied with my 2020 choice :)

Hi friends,

I drove to Specialized Brand Store in Warsaw yesterday: the reason was to replenish my chain/small parts stock for Trance E+. Specialized Warsaw store was opened on Saturday, and they keep a lot of hardware for sale that is even hard to be bought online nowadays. Of course, I was admiring e-bikes exhibited there. And I looked a bit longer at this Levo:

View attachment 81579

Not sure what model that really was (I was not that interested). However, two details have attracted my attention: the FOX Float Rhythm 36 fork (it could be 160 mm of travel) and FOX DPX EVOL damper. Very, very similar to what I got on my Trance E+ 2 Pro. Given big price difference between Specialized and Giant e-MTBs, I left the store satisfied with my 2020 choice :)
It's a beauty though!

Hi friends,

View attachment 81579

That's a levo comp, so the alloy frame and similar running gear to a trance e x pro 2 - about a 20% premium price on the giant , you get a 700 wh battery vs 625 wh , the specialized has slightly better brakes and arguably better wheels. So, say a 10% price premium for being special ?

I spent today shuttling sprogette 1 @ the local trails so she could decide if she really wants to do next weekends race. We chewed through my entire battery doing 6 mixed runs - about 1500 m elevation TOWING ( we were both pedalling flat out PLUS the Giant was on full assist) . Our legs are exhausted , and I hope she realises doing it without the tow might be a big ask....

Not that I'm at all worrued about her tackling these down hills at race pace....

10E6B7A7-DB37-4248-9F01-660D26C62A54.jpeg

I spent today shuttling sprogette 1 @ the local trails so she could decide if she really wants to do next weekends race. We chewed through my entire battery doing 6 mixed runs - about 1500 m elevation TOWING ( we were both pedalling flat out PLUS the Giant was on full assist) . Our legs are exhausted , and I hope she realises doing it without the tow might be a big ask....

Not that I'm at all worrued about her tackling these down hills at race pace....

View attachment 81589
Good show mate!

Gee...you guys have been busy while I was gone...

Setup a new 'toad' for the RV, took my eMTB to northern CA for a family reunion. Stole away one day and met up with Ted - @FlatSix911 and his old-timer buddy "Lou" who knows the trick trails in the redwood forests on the south San Francisco penninsula. Absolutely epic trail riding in old-growth redwoods...more to come.

This is the Rocky Mounts MonoRail2 rack - just excellent. The maiden voyage, 750 mile road trip over six days.

Last edited:
Back