eMTB Options For 2024

I wonder if anyone has tried to compare the e-Caliber with the full-suspension Specialized Turbo Levo SL...

The Fazua motor was mentioned in many of the levo sl journalist tests and everyone was claiming the levo sl felt stronger. But they were drinking special koolaid at the time.

I'd love to see a real world, back to back comparison between the systems , although comparing a 150 mm travel levo sl with a 120 mm travel trek isn't going to be a meaningful comparison - grapes to watermelons

I think the idea of going lighter with less power is a wonderful idea for those who desire to go that way. Personally I am oriented 180 degrees the other way. What I am intrigued by is the configuration of the drive system here. Surely this could be increased in size and power. I have no idea if pound for pound this drive is more efficient however. Or perhaps less efficient.

Pondering what the gear system must or might look like inside the bottom bracket I'd have to 'guess' it would be less efficient using more gearing than the direct drive of conventional ebike motors.

Last edited:
I’m guessing one of the main features of the fazua system is that the battery and motor is removable allowing the rider to go analogue at will which imo is a major perk.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the SL mahle motor has that feature.

I’m guessing one of the main features of the fazua system is that the battery and motor is removable allowing the rider to go analogue at will which imo is a major perk.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the SL mahle motor has that feature.

The sl motor stays in place but you can still remove the internal battery if you want to go reverse stealth ( run an emtb in overweight analogue mode)

The reality is, the fazua only allows half of " the motor" to be removed - there are still gears etc in the bottom bracket. I gave no idea how much these weigh, nor how much real resistance they produce. It's still a nice concept.

.imagine when we have a standard motor integration point at the bottom bracket like with pedals on our cranks. Then premium bikes are delivered without the motor / battery and we can start the ultimate emtb " which drive system" thread.

The sl motor stays in place but you can still remove the internal battery if you want to go reverse stealth ( run an emtb in overweight analogue mode)

The reality is, the fazua only allows half of " the motor" to be removed - there are still gears etc in the bottom bracket. I gave no idea how much these weigh, nor how much real resistance they produce. It's still a nice concept.

.imagine when we have a standard motor integration point at the bottom bracket like with pedals on our cranks. Then premium bikes are delivered without the motor / battery and we can start the ultimate emtb " which drive system" thread.
Quibble: The transmission is not part of the motor with this design. No?

Quibble: The transmission is not part of the motor with this design. No?

I have no idea what to call the gears between an electric motor and the crank.

" transmission" seems wrong, because it has been widely adapted to refer to a variable speed gearbox - and I'll resist my temptation to drift into gears of a mid drive / gearbox like the pinion , but with an input that can rake a motor / battery like the fazua.

Perhaps bevel drive ? ( spot the italian motorbike enthusiast )

Thanks. I rode today with the controls and grips moved inboard 40mm and it made a huge difference. The stock width of 780mm created a great deal of torque in my wrists when reaching for the brake levers or shifter.
Glad you guys touched on the trimming of the bars. I also had stock 780mm bars for 2 riding seasons and just took them down a bit. I think I should have done this sooner instead of later. In addition, so much easier getting in and out of tight spots along with going through doorways as well. Much less probability of getting banged up knuckles.

2021 Trek E-Caliber is here...
Very interested in this motor. Would love to see some engineer's drawings or models on just how it works.
Here are a few more details from Electrek... 34.72 lbs is not bad for a full-suspension EMTB. ;)

Trek recently unveiled its new 2021 E-Caliber line of electric mountain bikes.
The highest-end version of the pricey e-bike line is claimed to be the lightest full-suspension eMTB on the market.
If the frame looks familiar to any fellow Trek fans, its because the E-Caliber shares the same basic setup (with necessary e-modifications) as the non-electric Supercaliber bikes.

Unlike the Supercaliber, the 2021 Trek E-Caliber benefits from electric-assist via the Fazua electric drive system. The Fazua systems’ main differentiator is that unlike most e-bike mid-drives that only feature removable batteries, both the Fazua battery and motor can be removed from the bike. In their place fits a downtube plug that also serves as a handy storage compartment. Without the Fazua drive installed, the bike returns to an even lighter pedal-only mountain bike.

Even with the electric bike drive system installed, the 2021 E-Caliber is already exceedingly lightweight. The top-of-the-line model, known as the E-Caliber 9.9 XX1 AXS, weighs a paltry 15.75 kg (34.72 lb).

For a full-suspension electric mountain bike, that’s incredibly lightweight. For those looking to shave off a few more pounds (and lose the electric assist), the bike weighs just 12.45 kg (27.45 lb) with the Fazua unit removed.

1614732195538.png

Last edited:
One more from Court at EBR... ;)

Here are a few more details from Electrek... 34.72 lbs is not bad for a full-suspension EMTB. ;)

Trek recently unveiled its new 2021 E-Caliber line of electric mountain bikes.
The highest-end version of the pricey e-bike line is claimed to be the lightest full-suspension eMTB on the market.
If the frame looks familiar to any fellow Trek fans, its because the E-Caliber shares the same basic setup (with necessary e-modifications) as the non-electric Supercaliber bikes.

Unlike the Supercaliber, the 2021 Trek E-Caliber benefits from electric-assist via the Fazua electric drive system. The Fazua systems’ main differentiator is that unlike most e-bike mid-drives that only feature removable batteries, both the Fazua battery and motor can be removed from the bike. In their place fits a downtube plug that also serves as a handy storage compartment. Without the Fazua drive installed, the bike returns to an even lighter pedal-only mountain bike.

Even with the electric bike drive system installed, the 2021 E-Caliber is already exceedingly lightweight. The top-of-the-line model, known as the E-Caliber 9.9 XX1 AXS, weighs a paltry 15.75 kg (34.72 lb).

For a full-suspension electric mountain bike, that’s incredibly lightweight. For those looking to shave off a few more pounds (and lose the electric assist), the bike weighs just 12.45 kg (27.45 lb) with the Fazua unit removed.

View attachment 80462
That is a beautiful bike. Trek continues to impress with their designs. $12K though - yikes! I could buy a Jeep.

I got a chance to see one last week at a friends bike lair. He does test editing for a bike publication and it was in his lineup. Last time I was there a year ago he had the high end SL that I got a chance to ride mainly because it interested me. He kept that bike and it is now his main ride although he has a Levo and in fact had a gen 3 Levo on the floor also that he showed me the features of, mainly it has a little screen that you can configure via an app to read out relevant info, cool but I would need my readers to see it....

Anyway back to the Trek. His input was that it isn't at all what the SL is performance wise and quite frankly it looked kind of janky to me, it was a solid purple which was kind of bland, and when he told me the price I totally lost interest in it. I have no idea why it is so expensive but I am not part of their target market because I don't mind a heavier bike with more power.

My front hub bikes I can just swap out the front wheel easily and leave the battery home and it becomes a light bike but they are road oriented and I still don't do that cause I am addicted to the power modes I'm afraid, but not ashamed to say.

I would like to see a head-to-head review of Orbea Rise, Trek E-Caliber and Specialized Levo SL. In terms of power, torque, battery capacity and handling.

Never heard of this one...

Never heard of this one...

They have a rebadged version you might have heard of - ducati

The Trek looks stealthy enough to pass as an analog bike on those fussy trails. 😏
The Rise is getting mega praise on the emtb forum - lots of new owners. And a few loonies that buy an ebike but don't turn them on. 😆

I was in the orbea dealership yesterday - they ordered 3x rise in sept and still don't know when they will arrive! The size L on order is an up specced M10 , which puts it way into silly $ for components that I really can't justify. The vibe in the shop wasn't encouraging - 4 staff hanging around playing on an exercise bike ( I think the boss was away) .

Meanwhile, my giant keeps reminding me how useful it is having full power available, even if I rarely use it. Last weekend sprogette 1 was racing at the local gravity track and we weren't allowed to use cars to shuttle up the 4x4 track. We arrived late, so I rode up with her for the practice run and might have nudged her a little on the steeper sections.....

She won free entry for another event in a couple of weeks- it's 2 days with up to 10 runs on the longer tracks. That'd be 3.5 km total elevation , 35 km up 4x4 tracks and another 29 km down black runs. People walk most of the climbs.. Do you think towing a kid past them would be rude?

They have a rebadged version you might have heard of - ducati
Good catch... the Ducati looks the part with 3 models available.

1614806443061.png

1614806517907.png

1614806391296.png

Last edited:
Did a little supply chain shopping today. I had a discount coupon so I purchased some supplies to be "ahead of it" if needed.

Sram GX 12speed chain, and 4 Shimano disc pad sets. Also a OneUp dropper switch.
Assembling a spare parts toolkit for when riding away from my home area.

Must be the Boy Scout in me.

Back