eMTB Options For 2024

Thanks. I rode today with the controls and grips moved inboard 40mm and it made a huge difference. The stock width of 780mm created a great deal of torque in my wrists when reaching for the brake levers or shifter.

Some of what you are noticing may be related to insufficient bar sweep , potentially caused by the bars rotated too far forward / backward .

Try this , tuck your elbows into your waist then with forearms horizontal and wrist in a straight riding position , swing your forearm outwards. Pay attention to the angle of your wrist , or bar sweep.

The other factor is elbow position - try placing your hands in front of you at a comfortable distance apart but with elbows by your waist. Then swing those elbows up / out into the attack position.

Now, I'm not suggesting we all need 800 mm bars with 8 degrees of sweep set at precisely 451 mm reach..... because we all have different riding styles / deformities / proportions etc.

BUT - before cutting those bars try experimenting with different control / grip placement AND bar position. Perhaps even different stem lengh. These bike have the potential for much higher speed over rougher terrain than the older mtb's with narrow bars. If you intend to explore that potential, there is a LOT to be said for modern ergonomics and riding style ( personalised for each of us)

For what it's worth, I run different bar width and sweep between my bikes, as well as varying bar position depending on the style of riding I intend to do and what part of this crippled corpse is struggling each day

Just some visual explaination.

Sprogette 1 is an aggressive rider - she'll tackle anything and corners hard. Notice elbows out, weight over the stem, wide bars but her wrists are still straight.
F2221924-6779-45A9-8983-12E9685DE222.jpeg
Sprogette 2 is the exact opposite - agile, she flicks the bike around instead of throwing it around. Very much an old school style rider. Elbows in, narrow bars, wrists still straight

61A62007-E6D9-4C82-B4CC-8DF0455B0DEB.jpeg

Sprogette 2 is faster through tight flowy trails, but sprogette 1 leaves us all for dead when things get rough

I think that the industry has really promoted the use of wide bars as seen by many of the action shots and videos that pro MTBers are often pictured in. Not everyone rides in that manner or will even have the opportunity to, so it's hard for me to comprehend how one-bar fits-all has to be the norm for all circumstances as everyone’s riding environment and body geometry will be different. Case in point, there is a forested singletrack loop on one of my routes where many of the trees are close together that I would find near impossible to negotiate without having to dismount. I omitted it on my last ride for this very reason. I’m not disputing the merits of wider bars but just aiming for a bit of compromise to fulfill my own personal requirements. The Trance won’t be taking part on any long-distance rides either and most of my rides will likely be at the local MTB park. For road riding I have the Creo as well as my Scott Metrix and so it's likely I won’t be opting for bar ends/horns but sticking with Ergon GA2s on the Trance instead.

Thank you FlatSix. I think that would be a good option for Art without trimming his valuable handlebars. (Bear in mind, Giant uses 35 mm diameter MTB bars that are hard to replace).
I’m not planning on replacing the stock bars but if I were, there are plenty of versions out there with 35mm clamping diameters sporting similar sweep and rise in both alloy and carbon. Just sayin’. ;)

I still plan to cut mine down a little bit. With the bar ends on the GP2, I'm that little bit wider than I'm comfortable with. Like @Prairie Dog commented, there are some trails where bar width is a concern.

Alternatively, changing grips for different purposes isn't that big of a deal. I'm already doing that with seatposts now. Externally cabled PNW Coast Dropper for functionality and Suntour NCX for comfort.

Parts and accessories can be N+1 too! 😁

A good comparison of the bikes over the course of six uphill and downhill stages.

Excellent head-to-head comparison. My short intro thus far to e-MTBs has me in awe of the power and climbing capability of these bikes. That being said, I still love my standard antique rigid which has truly helped me to maintain my conditioning over the winter months. Not sure that I want to part with it just yet as it's been such a solidly reliable all-rounder.

Have you ever wondered why DH e-bikes are hardly manufactured? :) The essence of DH is to be lifted uphill :D

A couple of years back my daughter was competing in the interschool nationals and a merida e160 was entered with a special exemption - they had to have the battery removed so there was no question about it being enhanced. The merida was VERY close on run times compared to the regular bikes.

I think the real reason you don't regularly see emtb's running down the alps is it's bloody hard to lift an emtb onto the ski lift. Trust me....I spent a weekend doing runs as part of her training and still hadn't perfected the quick lift and secure needed to get that front wheel into the chairlift bracket....my greatest fear was not being able to retrieve at the other end and watching my bike tumble down the run....

Back