eMTB Options For 2024

I think that some of the new models that are going to be showing up in the next month or two are going to be some game changers. People will start to realize the original entry level ebikes are good but better can be had for just a little bit more.
Yes, but. Those who purchased bikes of the upper echelon ( more expensive with good components ) won't be hurt much. Those who ride competitively whether in actuality or just like to compete with themselves and their friends probably will want the latest and greatest. I think I will be happy with my current bikes for years. 👍

A few Orbea Rise eMTB's are arriving around the world, UK and US, and some new owners on emtbforum - they really like them, seem to be great bikes.

I'm happy with my TranceE as well. Maybe I'll buy one for the wife too. If they ever ship the '21's. If I knew I could get a new one, and someone was ready to buy my old one, I'd jump at it. So far I haven't really seen anything I'd rather have than what I've got. Nice place to be, eh?? ;)

Yes, but. Those who purchased bikes of the upper echelon ( more expensive with good components ) won't be hurt much. Those who ride competitively whether in actuality or just like to compete with themselves and their friends probably will want the latest and greatest. I think I will be happy with my current bikes for years. 👍
I completely agree with that, I was just thinking about the people who are going to be getting into ebikes.

A few Orbea Rise eMTB's are arriving around the world, UK and US, and some new owners on emtbforum - they really like them, seem to be great bikes.

I'm happy with my TranceE as well. Maybe I'll buy one for the wife too. If they ever ship the '21's. If I knew I could get a new one, and someone was ready to buy my old one, I'd jump at it. So far I haven't really seen anything I'd rather have than what I've got. Nice place to be, eh?? ;)
I doubt you'd have much of a problem selling yours.

Interesting forecast for 2021... E-bike predictions for 2021: What to expect in the electric bicycle industry this year (electrek.co)

Wave of affordable mid-drive e-bikes

Mid-drive e-bikes, which have a centrally-mounted motor that powers the e-bike through its bicycle gears, have long been dominated by industry heavyweights like Bosch.
Popular mid-drive e-bikes have offered high-quality drivetrains and mid to top-shelf components to match. But that has traditionally kept the prices high, often in the $4,000+ range.
However, 2021 is likely to see a new wave of affordably priced mid-drive electric bikes. There are plenty of Asian mid-drive suppliers that are growing their market share and helping drive down prices.

We’re actually already starting to see this trend play out with new entries from companies like Ride1Up, who just unveiled the Ride1Up Prodigy electric bike. It is likely the most affordable Brose-powered mid-drive e-bike on the market at just $2,195. (And for the record, I made this prediction weeks ago before the bike was unveiled). I expect to see more e-bikes like this unveiled in 2021, and the inclusion of non-EU motors will only intensify this trend. There are already a few interesting low-cost mid-drive e-bikes on the market now, but I expect 2021 to see a new wave.

1612148709386.png

Last edited:
Perhaps @PDoz could explain why Rob pedalled standing when riding on the flat? 🤔

Shall we discuss haemorrhoids or pilonidal sinus ?

Once upon a time I rode a ktm 400 exc. Apparently they had a really uncomfortable seat, but I didn't believe it because I ALWAYS rode my trailbikes up on the pegs. Presumably Rob rides often and hard enough to not need to sit down?

Hell, a trials bike doesn't even HAVE a seat. Did three years competition on one of those, Amercian Trials Association, sportsman class. I skipped the beginner class cuz I had so much dirtbike seat time. Way fun. It's disconcerting when a 8-yo kid out-rides you though. :rolleyes:

My Trance is good standing up, the Occam not so much. The latter is so light it jumps when you push on the pedal, like instant acceleration and deceleration. It's hard to explain. But stand-up riding is difficult on it. It's much smoother with your butt in the saddle.

My Trance is good standing up, the Occam not so much. The latter is so light it jumps when you push on the pedal, like instant acceleration and deceleration. It's hard to explain. But stand-up riding is difficult on it. It's much smoother with your butt in the saddle.

I think the good guys call that " lively" - a weird combination of agility yet stability . Sprogette 1's scott genius definitely has it, whilst sprog 3's norco optic has a completely different feel - " nimble" would be the best I could find. Quick steering, precise , but not really agile.

Could anyone make an advice on fenders/mudguards for my Giant Trance E+ with dropper post and 27.5 x 2.60" tyres? I was against such an option. However, mud splashing onto my goggles at speeds greater than 25 km/h is hard to bear...

Could anyone make an advice on fenders/mudguards for my Giant Trance E+ with dropper post and 27.5 x 2.60" tyres? I was against such an option. However, mud splashing onto my goggles at speeds greater than 25 km/h is hard to bear...
I just have one of these on the front. Super simple.

I also really like the looks of this one from Mudhugger.
I'm pretty sure it's what the guys on EMBN have on their bikes, but I also suspect it's a sponsorship thing.

The SKS one I have just plain works - and there's plenty of other brands with basically the same thing.
A flat piece of plastic and tie wraps to mount to the forks. Simple and cheap.

Weather is very wintery here and with COVID situation, yesterday was a TV day.
Ended up bouncing around YouTube, and watched some "Friday Fails" on PinkBike.

First impressions are that there are a lot of people with no common sense as many of the crashes appeared to be riders who had no business trying to do what they tried to do.
Second thoughts were "how many of these were hospitalizations?"
Third thought - time for a new helmet before trail riding next summer...

I was cringing watching most of the crashes and it brought back memories of the magazine "Crash and Burn" we read many years ago while we were dirt bike riders.
If you choose to follow the link and watch, I did enjoy the one that started at 00:28 as I am sure she was OK. Some of the others - not sure.

Could anyone make an advice on fenders/mudguards for my Giant Trance E+ with dropper post and 27.5 x 2.60" tyres?
I was against such an option. However, mud splashing onto my goggles at speeds greater than 25 km/h is hard to bear...
If you are looking for more substantial coverage than a flap guard... take a look at this set from SKS.
I use this setup in the Winter months for my off-road bike and it works well in all conditions. ;)

1612839027773.png
1612839105054.png

1612633108372.png
1612633118028.png

Last edited:
If you are looking for more substantial coverage than a flap guard... take a look at this set from SKS.
I use this setup in the Winter months for my off-road bike and it works well in all conditions. ;)

View attachment 78414 View attachment 78415
I like that setup too, but one thing the zip tied flap guards do better, is they reduce or stop the splatter on the fork seals.
In our wintery areas, where they use various things like grit, salt and other crap on the roads.
Keeping that crap off my fork seals matters to me, but then again, I may be over reacting.

View attachment 78414 View attachment 78415
I wish SKS would explain how the fender attaches. Like a diagram. I gather there is a cone that goes up into the fork from the bottom. Yes? Dos the fender wiggle around much?

Back