eMTB Options For 2024

How is the battery design unusual? Been done several times this way.
This is the correct answer below... unusual for an EMTB ;)
I assumed " unusual" was code for WTF?

I guess putting 3 kg up high and forward is a great way to reduce warranty claims ?
No self respecting mtb rider would buy it - so it'll never get used in anger. 🤔

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on a Norco Sight VLT C3/
1610760362552.png

This is the one I have my eye on, M600 Motobeercan from Bikes Direct View attachment 76720
Not the most modern geo but it is what you expect from Asian frames, Qute frankly it is several generations ahead of what I ride now so there is that. Aluminum frame is good as I don't want carpet fiber and I am especially attracted to the way they oriented the motor in line with the down tube. I have seen it that way on other bikes and like it better than the bulbous bb type used by many these these days. And room for a triangle bag. I have been using tt bags and like having a bag on board to carry the sundries anymore rather than a back sack for every day riding.
I've been interested in the M600 for a few years due to 120nm advertised torque, light weight comparatively like 4.1kilos, normal Q factor and it is the only integrated mid drive in the legal class that is throttleable. Which has been confirmed for the 2021.5 model due in spring/summer so probably fall the way things are going. 600wh battery of unknown cell structure but hoping for 21700. All the battery I need for day to day use and for epics just get another battery I guess. I wonder how many that go for the huge battery capacity will actually ever use them unless they don't like to charge more than once a week.
Not the Gucciest component spec but sufficient for the under $3k pricepoint. Components can be upgraded but frames can not so to me is the most important feature of a bike as I keep my bikes for a long time. Dropper post will be a revelation to me as my seatpost has been stuck for 10yrs on my hardtail and it is a feature I want for sure. It's a tough time to have failed the eye test View attachment 76733
But in the meantime I do have other bikes to ride so let the waiting begin. Not going to throw down though until I get the notice they are going to ship. Ordering a bike and having to wait months for delivery is too stressful for me.
I have also been watching a few bikes on BD and waiting for them to restock... looks like they're shipping the Shimano E8000 model in March. ;)

Save Up to 60% Off eBikes LTD QTYS of these eBoost Mountain bikes 2021 Motobecane HAL eBoost TEAM with Shimano XT / E8000 Electric MidDrive 27.5PLUS Full Suspension Mountain eBikes Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox PIKE 150mm Forks | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles (bikesdirect.com)

1610829077645.png

The Norco looks terrific.

First day today in two weeks - out to the tap room with wifey. 🍻
I can almost taste my beer. LOL
My wife and I are thinking about moving.
Last week a tap room opened on the trail that is at the end of our street!

I'm rethinking the move!

Isn't the "bulbous bb " just the orientation of the motor? The shimano is tilted to keep weight low ?

Both look slim compared to my giant that seems to use the yamaha motor as ballast .....or perhaps an anchor.
Yes, orientation of the motor as you suggest is key but it seems some motors "orient" better than others due to their physical housing shape. The Brose motor is another one that fits well in this manner such as the new 1Up bike is showing

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.05.12 AM.png

And also have seen this effect on Bulls models.

I don't think it is a matter of weight distribution but could be wrong.

Yes, orientation of the motor as you suggest is key but it seems some motors "orient" better than others due to their physical housing shape. The Brose motor is another one that fits well in this manner such as the new 1Up bike is showing

View attachment 76925

And also have seen this effect on Bulls models.

I don't think it is a matter of weight distribution but could be wrong.

Rotating the motor counter clockwise will improve ground clearance but raises cog . Both the motor AND battery will sit higher plus further forward. With the average motor / battery combination being over 6.5 kg ( 14 lbs) , it's surprising how much difference this can make.

My giant full e is the extreme example - the motor droops down and could be compared with a pregnant whale...or perhaps a bulldozer ( thankfully the bashplates only cost $12) . It's fugly , but once you adapt to the bashplate replacement logistics, it makes a LOT of sense. I haven't ridden another emtb that is as easy to manual, or as agile for direction changes . Granted, some of this is the old school geometry , but the bike really does feel like a yacht with the keel down .

For perspective , I desperately wanted to love a giant etrance x29 , but even moving one around the shop it felt significantly heavier - both top heavy as well as front heavy. Same motor , only about 1 kg more weight, it felt like there was 5 kg hanging off the steering head.

The old thock mig 1 was an interesting visual example - lots of praise for handling. The motor / battery is mounted low and central but, er, very polarising aesthetics...

9FA12855-BA56-4D14-8FC6-5A30ED1C3C4C.jpeg

The secret in the final construction of an ebike is the distribution of weights that is 50% in front and behind, the second secret is that all this is as low as possible to the center of the bottom bracket. Having ebikes unbalanced in weight and the weights out from the bottom bracket sometimes even batteries in the same stack make those ebikes very clumsy and difficult to lift after doing a side laydown.

Look the motor mid-drive and battery.

Question, I have the Norco on Layaway.
When I was in the store I noticed the battery was fully charged on the display.
I don't want to pick up the bike for a couple months so the warranty doesn't start ticking months before I can ride it.

So my question is, how can I discharge the battery to a good long term storage level without riding it?

Question, I have the Norco on Layaway.
When I was in the store I noticed the battery was fully charged on the display.
I don't want to pick up the bike for a couple months so the warranty doesn't start ticking months before I can ride it.

So my question is, how can I discharge the battery to a good long term storage level without riding it?
I don’t think there really is an easy way to discharge the battery without riding it, unless the dealer has some sort of “load-bank” they can connect it to. I honestly wouldn’t worry about it. I doubt leaving it nearly fully charged for a couple of months, one time, will have a notable impact on the battery’s long term life.

I think that some of the new models that are going to be showing up in the next month or two are going to be some game changers. People will start to realize the original entry level ebikes are good but better can be had for just a little bit more.

Back