eMTB Options For 2024

Carbon fiber is lightweight and strong, but it's also susceptible to fracturing and structurally breaking down, or splintering. It's very rigid, the flexibility reported on bike frames and forks is due to the dimensions of the structure, not the material itself. A chip in an alloy frame might take the paint off, but could turn into a fracture on a carbon frame. Plus they're super expensive.
All the major bike builders reserve their best components for their carbon bikes, making them doubly expensive. And really, where weight is a major factor they definitely have an advantage. For an eMTB that weight factor is much much less critical. In fact, the extra weight of my Trance is one of the things that makes it so plush to ride.

At least that's my knowledge of it.

Regarding carbon and complying with astm5, there is nothing on the market that fulfills these characteristics to the maximum astm4, a carbon handlebar in Raceface the maximum that they can recommend is for Enduro but not for DH, they have nothing for DH that not the typical aluminum handlebar.

levo SL .... you remove weight and you remove power and range in kilometers (I feel that it is more a bike) ..... ok but it is much more a lung bike than an ebike, it is not useful for a rider with already 35 years or more, an ebike with 80nm and 500w or 700 w you can lower your level of assistance to 30nm levo and have the same physical effort, do you want to remove 2 or 3 kilograms easily? Go on a diet and exercise, remove them from your body.​

Then there is the consumer and let's be clear, most of 30 years or more than in most cases they work 8 or 9 hours sometimes in jobs of intense physical effort ..... a consumer of these conditions will not make a route for you 30 kilometers day after day except going to work on the ebike and the only thing that will do it is having a powerful engine and battery, taking away physical effort to recover the next day.

more power divided by weight = more thrust per kilogram example 80nm / 120 kilograms rider + ebike = 0.6666 per kilogram

Last edited:
Just called my LBS about ordering in a Giant. He said:
1 No stock is readily available to order from North American distributors.
2 IF he can place an order the earliest it will show up is late August or Sept.
Preowned may be the best option if you want an EBike right now. ;)

2020 Specialized turbo creo sl comp For Sale - 37956 - BicycleBlueBook.com
2020 Haibike XDURO DWNHLL 8.0 For Sale - 39234 - BicycleBlueBook.com
2018 Trek Crossrip + For Sale - 37152 - BicycleBlueBook.com
2018 Specialized Vado SL 5.0 For Sale - 39164 - BicycleBlueBook.com
2018 Specialized Turbo Como 4.0 For Sale - 36939 - BicycleBlueBook.com

How you feeling today?
Out of quarantine. Went on the steroids - I would have choked for a week if not. Cough till you puke, it doesn’t quit. Never did have a fever.

Short street ride on the Orbea today, with the tires at 40psi. A couple miles and felt like I’d done 12. Just not ready for a stroke. LOL

Just starting to get some taste back. Can’t smell nuthin!

I can see it will take weeks or months to get back to 100%. Im just glad to be alive.

Out of quarantine. Went on the steroids - I would have choked for a week if not. Cough till you puke, it doesn’t quit. Never did have a fever.

Short street ride on the Orbea today, with the tires at 40psi. A couple miles and felt like I’d done 12. Just not ready for a stroke. LOL

Just starting to get some taste back. Can’t smell nuthin!

I can see it will take weeks or months to get back to 100%. Im just glad to be alive.
Congrats and hope you feel better soon!

Attachments

• 07ED5845-3B63-4BBC-8A1B-E29B0882E9B1.jpeg
    07ED5845-3B63-4BBC-8A1B-E29B0882E9B1.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 211
How is the battery design unusual? Been done several times this way.

I assumed " unusual" was code for WTF?

I guess putting 3 kg up high and forward is a great way to reduce warranty claims ? No self respecting mtb rider would buy it - so it'll never get used in anger. 🤔

This is the one I have my eye on, M600 Motobeercan from Bikes Direct

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 3.15.49 PM.png

Not the most modern geo but it is what you expect from Asian frames, Qute frankly it is several generations ahead of what I ride now so there is that. Aluminum frame is good as I don't want carpet fiber and I am especially attracted to the way they oriented the motor in line with the down tube. I have seen it that way on other bikes and like it better than the bulbous bb type used by many these these days. And room for a triangle bag. I have been using tt bags and like having a bag on board to carry the sundries anymore rather than a back sack for every day riding.

I've been interested in the M600 for a few years due to 120nm advertised torque, light weight comparatively like 4.1kilos, normal Q factor and it is the only integrated mid drive in the legal class that is throttleable. Which has been confirmed for the 2021.5 model due in spring/summer so probably fall the way things are going.

600wh battery of unknown cell structure but hoping for 21700. All the battery I need for day to day use and for epics just get another battery I guess. I wonder how many that go for the huge battery capacity will actually ever use them unless they don't like to charge more than once a week.

Not the Gucciest component spec but sufficient for the under $3k pricepoint. Components can be upgraded but frames can not so to me is the most important feature of a bike as I keep my bikes for a long time. Dropper post will be a revelation to me as my seatpost has been stuck for 10yrs on my hardtail and it is a feature I want for sure.

It's a tough time to have failed the eye test

Eye Test.jpg

But in the meantime I do have other bikes to ride so let the waiting begin. Not going to throw down though until I get the notice they are going to ship. Ordering a bike and having to wait months for delivery is too stressful for me.

This is the one I have my eye on, M600 Motobeercan from Bikes Direct

View attachment 76720

Not the most modern geo but it is what you expect from Asian frames, Qute frankly it is several generations ahead of what I ride now so there is that. Aluminum frame is good as I don't want carpet fiber and I am especially attracted to the way they oriented the motor in line with the down tube. I have seen it that way on other bikes and like it better than the bulbous bb type used by many these these days. And room for a triangle bag. I have been using tt bags and like having a bag on board to carry the sundries anymore rather than a back sack for every day riding.

I've been interested in the M600 for a few years due to 120nm advertised torque, light weight comparatively like 4.1kilos, normal Q factor and it is the only integrated mid drive in the legal class that is throttleable. Which has been confirmed for the 2021.5 model due in spring/summer so probably fall the way things are going.

600wh battery of unknown cell structure but hoping for 21700. All the battery I need for day to day use and for epics just get another battery I guess. I wonder how many that go for the huge battery capacity will actually ever use them unless they don't like to charge more than once a week.

Not the Gucciest component spec but sufficient for the under $3k pricepoint. Components can be upgraded but frames can not so to me is the most important feature of a bike as I keep my bikes for a long time. Dropper post will be a revelation to me as my seatpost has been stuck for 10yrs on my hardtail and it is a feature I want for sure.

It's a tough time to have failed the eye test

View attachment 76733
But in the meantime I do have other bikes to ride so let the waiting begin. Not going to throw down though until I get the notice they are going to ship. Ordering a bike and having to wait months for delivery is too stressful for me.

That's a promising looking bike, but some things just don't add up ( to me)

They have a bafang and a shimano e8000 version of the beer can , both have the same geometry figures listed, including the same chainstay??? Yet the bottom bracket on the shimano version looks to be significantly further back?

Either way, I'm looking forward to the evolution of bafang powered bikes in reasonable frames.

9ADED74F-7664-4F7D-8A92-073897A13971.jpeg
D4C62BAA-79A5-4156-8873-B36735009F90.jpeg

@PDoz They are just renderings so I suppose there is some latitude there. But that comparison does illustrate the bulbous bb vs the slimmer looking integration of the Bafang motor I was referring to. I have been considering reaching out to them to see if they would be able to bring the geo up to date as I doubt that the frames are made yet and especially because they will be different than their existing shimano ones mounting wise.

I am going to suggest to them using the Kona geo as a clone actually. They are known for their progressive geo and the chinese manufacturers are not above a little poaching. Shouldn't be a huge deal as it is just some altercations to the mitered areas and tube lengths.

Kona:

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.32.29 AM.png

As per BD:

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.40.45 AM.png

@PDoz They are just renderings so I suppose there is some latitude there. But that comparison does illustrate the bulbous bb vs the slimmer looking integration of the Bafang motor I was referring
As per BD:

Isn't the "bulbous bb " just the orientation of the motor? The shimano is tilted to keep weight low ?

Both look slim compared to my giant that seems to use the yamaha motor as ballast .....or perhaps an anchor.

Back