eMTB Options For 2024

Go the stance! Nb this is an entirely subjective analysis, but having looked at a stance parked next to a fathom pre pandemic , the stance looked to have a more upright riding triangle.

My only reservation depends on what level your fusion was at. Again, subjective, but if you struggle with c1-3 extension causing headaches then the pedal bobbing from lower quality rear suspension may be problematic. Unfortunately the stance uses a simple version of the maestro system which is less effective at isolating peddle bob. The trance would be a bad choice because of the relatively forward geometry. Something like a focus thron might be worth considering? Alternatively, upgrade the stance rear shock to a 3 position unit ( even the stance 29 only has a 2 position rock shock so there is no " trail" mode ) - still not maestro, but a fair compromise.
Rode both the Stance and the Fathom today. Stance was E+2 in small and the Fathom was E+ 1 Pro in medium.

Loved em both, but I think the Stance was just a bit too small.

The Fathom was very comfortable and is still in the running. It will need some mods, definately a new stem of some sort.

In other thread comments, Stefan and Anna were strongly suggesting going all in on a Trance. Well there are none to be had in Alberta, and In the neighbouring province of British Columbia, I'd be paying an extra 7% in taxes. We Albertans suggest that BC stands for "Bring Cash".

Regardless, today was excellent as I rode a style of bike that I hadn't considered when I'd started this endeavour, but zipping around the streets of Cochrane Alberta, gave me a good feel of how suitable an eMTB would be for me. I'll still likely be 50-75% path but I think these types of bikes will renew my enjoyment of trail riding like I did back in the 80s on my Kuwahara MTB in the beautiful Peace River valley in Northern Alberta.

Haha, while writing this post, the Stance disappeared from the LBS website. I guess it's now a simple decision - take the Fathom, or wait for 2021 products. There's almost nothing available here in Alberta.

Thanks again to all of you who shared. What a time to try to buy a bike!

You'll live the fathom, and have an excuse to trade up in the future if you get hooked.

As well as rising stems, don't be afraid to fit higher bend bars or extend fork travel. Each have different effects, and a decent lbs should be able to help out with trying stem / bar swaps at the time of purchase - many of them will have spares out the back that have been removed from customers bikes.

Plow is the noun , plough is the verb, but it is SPOKEN by the english phonetically as plow.
But what did John mean by his sentence?!
P.S. I was taught at school otherwise:
1595414011264.png

That is, both British noun and verb are spelt the same as "plough".

View attachment 59731

It depends upon the tone used, but either

Well, my electric mountain cycling relations masturbate an implement historically used to disturb the soil.

Or

With a great sense of purpose ( will) , that individuals electric mountain bike is related to forces used to move a soil diverting device.

Or it was a random mix of meaningless letters?

An eclectic bunch here... 🤣

eclectic
Pronunciation /əˈklektik/ /əˈklɛktɪk/
adjective

• 1Deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
    ‘universities offering an eclectic mix of courses’

• 2 (also Eclectic)
    Philosophy
    Denoting or belonging to a class of ancient philosophers who did not belong to or found any recognized school of thought but selected doctrines from various schools of thought.

View attachment 59731
Plow is a noun & a verb, at least as used in the U.S.. I´ve never even seen plough used in this country ´ćept
maybe for excess imbibing & getting ploughed... nope, not even that. I´ve never been bloughed either.... well not recently anyway.😏

Plow is a noun & a verb, at least as used in the U.S.. I´ve never even seen plough used in this country ´ćept
maybe for excess imbibing & getting ploughed... nope, not even that. I´ve never been bloughed either.... well not recently anyway.😏

Interesting how those who call themselves "US" use a different version of English to us.;)

More importantly, John, if I offended you with what was intended as a lighthearted diversion from current life stressors - I'm sorry.
No worry, was something offensive, musta missed ít. Mine was a pun too. I figger the current stressor is more stressed.
I hope so; I can´t stress ´it´ strongly enuff.

Mehhh, it's pleasant where I am, away from the big cities, working from home, biking about every day. I'm in no hurry for summer to pass by - the slower the better, even during a pandemic.

Back