eMTB Options For 2024

I can swing the $$ no problem, but not until I'm reasonably sure it's the one. Test ride tomorrow on the Fathom E+1 Pro. Might squeeze a ride on the Stance too, but it's only available in Small right now.

There's no super duper rush as my current ride is fine, just not really suitable for anything other than roads and good pike paths. It's going be a challenge for geometry but the LBS has a very good rep on customer service, so I'm confident they can tweak it for me. My test ride on the Explore reminded me that my neck issues (cervical fusions - congenital) don't like an aggressive forward stance. Handlebar and stem mods are always going to be needed.

The 2021 products should start showing up soon but I don't think there'll be the same clear out pricing that has happened in previous years. On that note, I really don't understand Specialized sales incentive strategy this spring - they either really misread the market, or have big changes coming and wanted to completely empty their warehouses as soon as they could!

Thanks for sharing your insights.

I doubt any of the bike companies were able to foresee what was coming with the pandemic. Specialized was running their early spring sale when it hit - and it cleaned out their inventory.

I misunderstood - thought you were looking at the Trance E+1 Pro. The Fathom is a nice dual purpose bike, but for woods riding and true offroad a full suspension is the ticket.

My Explore has a 45* stem riser - a must have. I can't ride leaned forward either. My Trance has inch and a half riser bars and a mild stem riser.

Trance:

5E1FFD34-F056-4044-A1D3-731FE57A8ABE.jpg

Explore:

083.jpg

neck issues (cervical fusions - congenital) don't like an aggressive forward stance. Handlebar and stem mods are always going to be needed.

Go the stance! Nb this is an entirely subjective analysis, but having looked at a stance parked next to a fathom pre pandemic , the stance looked to have a more upright riding triangle.

My only reservation depends on what level your fusion was at. Again, subjective, but if you struggle with c1-3 extension causing headaches then the pedal bobbing from lower quality rear suspension may be problematic. Unfortunately the stance uses a simple version of the maestro system which is less effective at isolating peddle bob. The trance would be a bad choice because of the relatively forward geometry. Something like a focus thron might be worth considering? Alternatively, upgrade the stance rear shock to a 3 position unit ( even the stance 29 only has a 2 position rock shock so there is no " trail" mode ) - still not maestro, but a fair compromise.

Stefan, before buying nylon try adjusting your pins . I find nylon pedals sneak up and gradually become slippery as the studs round out into a mushroom shape that doesn't integrate well with my 5/10's .

If you want to get super fussy, try a gentle taper on the edge of each pin - not enough to make them a pointy spike, but just enough to make them a blunt instrument of torture. They will still be narrow enough to slot into the grooves in your 5/10's so there should still be better traction than nylon pedals. I found this out the hard way when sprogette changed from my " worn out" old pedals to some fresh sharp ones - she made a mess of her shins just brushing against the bike.

Or invest in g form shin guards

It's 1200 ....2 hours after I would normally start my Tuesday ride. I'm procrastinating - too scared to ride now that I've made that stupid comment about not shredding my shins.......

Frkit, I'm going riding. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks ...blame Stefan.

Go the stance! Nb this is an entirely subjective analysis, but having looked at a stance parked next to a fathom pre pandemic , the stance looked to have a more upright riding triangle.

My only reservation depends on what level your fusion was at. Again, subjective, but if you struggle with c1-3 extension causing headaches then the pedal bobbing from lower quality rear suspension may be problematic. Unfortunately the stance uses a simple version of the maestro system which is less effective at isolating peddle bob. The trance would be a bad choice because of the relatively forward geometry. Something like a focus thron might be worth considering? Alternatively, upgrade the stance rear shock to a 3 position unit ( even the stance 29 only has a 2 position rock shock so there is no " trail" mode ) - still not maestro, but a fair compromise.
That Focus Thron is one sexy bike, but I don't see anyone around here selling them. I do want local service options.

Weird ride, lets just say my head was in a strange place. A couple of k in I came across the stick blocking the trail - it'd been a bit windy. Normally I travel in the opposite direction and I'd be landing off a jump right in the muddle of that, so out came the pocket saw for some trail maintenance. I love that old folding saw. ( sticking out of camelback )
1B6ABD09-3317-48B6-B341-CF8483AD6C35.jpeg
793F6D08-3E4B-4051-86F5-AA521A906D17.jpeg

So for the rest of the ride I has hyper vigilant. Little obstacles that I normally flick through looked worthy of inspection.

Example 1 - art, sport, and physics converge at the V tree. We come skating into that berm with our left pedal up, slide the back around whilst negotiating the inside stump , then manual through the V whilst turning the bars to clear the gap. At least that's the theory.
63B4A984-B7CD-42E1-A4AC-1A03D2341FB6.jpeg

Attachments

• E4994218-B762-4FCB-B13A-1265B126B02B.jpeg
    E4994218-B762-4FCB-B13A-1265B126B02B.jpeg
    924 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Example 2 , it's a magical skatey series of berms leading into a ramp between the trees. If I pedal Just beyond the 25 cut out I glide down the exit ramp and can sweep through the next berm with both wheels on the edge of traction. In theory. Get it right, and there's just enough momentum to clear the next jump.
CE489C1E-6D79-48F2-BDA8-1EF17B09EF27.jpeg
D4860B66-FC25-4DCE-B3C0-5212DE0B7E7E.jpeg

But my head just wasn't working today. I'd never even known there were little rocks on this trail before! Perhaps I should have gone sailing today?

Attachments

• 017EE8A1-4372-4630-925B-58EAB65D1B83.jpeg
    017EE8A1-4372-4630-925B-58EAB65D1B83.jpeg
    479.3 KB · Views: 271
Stefan, before buying nylon try adjusting your pins . I find nylon pedals sneak up and gradually become slippery as the studs round out into a mushroom shape that doesn't integrate well with my 5/10's .

If you want to get super fussy, try a gentle taper on the edge of each pin - not enough to make them a pointy spike, but just enough to make them a blunt instrument of torture. They will still be narrow enough to slot into the grooves in your 5/10's so there should still be better traction than nylon pedals. I found this out the hard way when sprogette changed from my " worn out" old pedals to some fresh sharp ones - she made a mess of her shins just brushing against the bike.

Or invest in g form shin guards

I also recommend trying different pins/screws with your pedals. The stamp composite pedals come with m3x10mm screws that extend out about 4mm. Easy and cheap to replace.

I tried m3x9mm screws on my stamps but I didnt like the retention with those screws but I like being stuck to my pedals (after 25+yrs clipless spd use). These or even m3x8mm might suit you better.

I replaced the m3x10mm screws on my oneup composite pedals with m3x9mm and love them alot better.

I find my pedals are becoming more rounded with age/use/banging into rocks.

My shins and calves have scars/scabs all over the place and here is usually a bandaid somewhere. Its a badge of honor for me.

I have considered rounding the tips of the screws (specifically the edge of the thread at the end) with a file. Someone should make a tool to do this. Its more the sharp metal edges rather than the metal itself.

Last edited:
@RandallS, if you just can afford it (and it is available), go for Trance E+ Pro. If the Trance E+ is is unavailable, go for Liv Intrigue Pro (E+ 1 or E+ 2, depending on the colour preference). The Liv bikes are advertised as "female" ones. Bullshit. These Intrigue e-bikes are just Trance marketed for ladies. Ask @Anna about her impression.

I have never regretted buying the Trance E+. The components and performance are stellar! Especially, as PDoz is saying, the rear Maestro suspension would be perfect for you. The bike feels super comfy. The pretty fat tyres (2.6") are tubeless, making it easy to repair them without removing the wheel in case of puncture. These can be ridden at low inflation pressure, contributing to the ride smoothness. The Giant Trance E+ and Liv Intrigue E+ are worth every cent!

@RandallS, if you just can afford it (and it is available), go for Trance E+ Pro. If the Trance E+ is is unavailable, go for Liv Intrigue Pro (E+ 1 or E+ 2, depending on the colour preference). The Liv bikes are advertised as "female" ones. Bullshit. These Intrigue e-bikes are just Trance marketed for ladies. Ask @Anna about her impression.

I have never regretted buying the Trance E+. The components and performance are stellar! Especially, as PDoz is saying, the rear Maestro suspension would be perfect for you. The bike feels super comfy. The pretty fat tyres (2.6") are tubeless, making it easy to repair them without removing the wheel in case of puncture. These can be ridden at low inflation pressure, contributing to the ride smoothness. The Giant Trance E+ and Liv Intrigue E+ are worth every cent!
Yes, “worth every cent”... note that the Liv Pro 2 has Sram Eagle shifters which for me are uncomfortable because they require thumb use only and only shift one direction... the Liv Pro 1 is a little more expensive but the Shimano SLX shifters are exquisite. You can shift up with thumb or down with index finger. 😍 P.S. I initially bought a Trance PWX Pro2019 (orange and blue) but returned it. The 2020 sync pro motor is much quieter. The geometry was almost identical but my Intrigue feels much more nimble. 🚴‍♀️

Last edited:
That's sorted out. I'm using the Topeak Tetra Rack M2 with my Trance E+

Just to make sure, I mounted the stock Specialized flat pedals (these are VP-831) on my Trance E+ for today's off-road ride. Oh, no. It does not work that way. Even when the weather was still fine, my feet were slipping on the pedals. Then, I was met by a pouring rain... Oh, no. It must be at least some kind of spikes on the pedals. I have ordered Race Face Ride, the ones with the "traction studs" instead of pins. We'll see.
The soles on your shoes play a role in slippage as well. I use a rugged hiking shoe sole that helps with that quite a bit. Even when wet, they grip quite well. I think it is a Vibram type sole on a Teva branded shoe if that helps. Good luck with your newer pedals.

Back