eMTB Options For 2024

@PDoz, your views on the pedals? I'm more and more disappointed with spiked platform pedals. While these ensure a fantastic grip, my calves have been bled by my Stamps for too many times...

This is going to hurt.....up until writing this I've been gash free, so I'm probably not the person to ask. Doesn't matter if I'm riding on beaten up cheap giant alloy things or my favourite one up components with adjustable spikes that I bought essentially to change the profile. My feet seem to stay planted.

I'm not sure if it's technique or just good luck? I very much ride through the pedals - ie most of my direction changes come from pedal pressure rather than handle bars, and I look like a headless chicken rap dancing from behind......I think it evolved from trying to ride an 82 ktm 125 through greasy clay tracks, or maybe the it200 yamaha with cr@ppy steering? Or perhaps it was that time I kicked a rock at 80 k and had to ride out of the bush with a Brocken knee?

So sorry, you'll probably be best opening up a what pedal thread over on emtb ?

That way lies trouble… a long and arcane thread about left and right pedal threads! 😇
You made me smile David! Thank you for that!

I've just tuned my Trance E+ even more. -10 psi in the sus fork, +20 psi for the rear damper, two-clicks for more sus fork return dampening, tyre pressure reduced to 1.5 bar. Going for a forest ride to test the range in the Giant AUTO assist mode ;)

That way lies trouble… a long and arcane thread about left and right-handed pedal threads! 😇

Don't joke - apparently there's one of the square crank full e's out there with the mystical wrong suded crank just waiting for the pedal to come off

@PDoz, your views on the pedals? I'm more and more disappointed with spiked platform pedals. While these ensure a fantastic grip, my calves have been bled by my Stamps for too many times...
That is the sole reason I opted out of buying "spiked" pedals after further research. Many riders complaining about holes in their shins.
Seemed like a no-brainer, after further review for me. My non-spiked set are working fine, with no slippage off the pedal to report. Save your shins folks! o_O

Well, first there's the FATHOM E - their hard-tail MTB. I didn't really know about this model when I was ready to buy, but probably would have suited me better - I might have gotten by with one bike instead of two. It's a much more aggressive Explore, and has the bigger 500w pack but the 'sport' motor like the Explore.

Stance - Giant's budget eMTB, also offered as a 29'r. Smallish forks, basic gears and brakes, it's an affordable entry-level bike. In my mind it is more youth-focused. For less aggressive trails, or to use as a hybrid road/dirt bike, it might work out nicely. The price is right on them. The 'Power' version is the 27.5 size with the sport motor, and the Stance-Pro has the 29" wheels and 'Pro' motor. Both have the 500w pack.

Trance - With two levels of performance (no SX +0 Pro this year), this is their mainstay mountain bike, focused on trail riding. For 2020 in the US they have their E+1 Pro, the flagship, and the E+3 Pro, their more entry-level offering. I would say the E=3 is very much on par with the base turbo levo, similarly priced, but has 27.5 wheelsets compared to the Levo's 29's. The +1 has higher level component spec, nicer suspension and brakes, gears, etc, more on par with the levo comp, but there is no 700w pack (yet).
As I keep saying, it's time for Giant/Yamaha to offer a 700w pack before they simply get left behind. I guess their 'range extender' pack is their answer to this.

Reign - Giant's new downhill oriented 'enduro' bike. It is really raked out for hardcore downhill, 170mm forks, a carbon fiber frame offering. And this model now supports the new 'Range Extender' 250w piggyback battery pack for 750w of pack. This one more compares to the Kenevo, IIRC.

The Reign E+2 Pro might be a great option for you due to the extended pack and range. MSRP for US is $5500.
@PDoz, or other owners of one, may have more familiarity with this model, or tried it, have seen it in action. One of my local dealers that had one to look at ( I did not ride one) told me it would feel the most like a dirtbike to me out of all of them due to it's raked out geometry, long wheelbase, long travel suspension. I gravitated toward the Trance simply for being a little sportier as an all-arounder, trail bike, good at climbing as well as downhill.

I would have to sit down and study all the specs for all of the bikes to expound further on their differences. What is really great about the Giant lineup is the broad range of offerings - something for everyone. And then the whole LIV line for the ladies as well. Oh, and the Yamaha SyncDrive is just the best. 👍
Two months later, on reflection, do you still feel the Fathom E would have worked for you as an all-rounder? I had kind of decided on an Explore, but a friend of mine took me on some trails yesterday and I think I may want to think about an e-mtb and maybe do what you have done with an extra set of wheels for pure road riding. Stocks around here are decimated, but there's a well respected dealer about 30 minutes away that has both a S and M l in stock. They are E+1 Pro.

Any thoughts?

I looked again, and he also has a Stance E+2 in Small. I'm 5'7" with 30" inseam, so the small may work. Finding posts about the Fathom are easier to find than posts about Stance. 😉

Two months later, on reflection, do you still feel the Fathom E would have worked for you as an all-rounder? I had kind of decided on an Explore, but a friend of mine took me on some trails yesterday and I think I may want to think about an e-mtb and maybe do what you have done with an extra set of wheels for pure road riding. Stocks around here are decimated, but there's a well respected dealer about 30 minutes away that has both a S and M l in stock. They are E+1 Pro.

Any thoughts?

After a few hundred miles riding trails and offroad, a FS suits much better for that.

Trance vs Stance - the former has their 'maestro' suspension linkage which is much superior than the Stance. Same for their non-ebikes. The Trance also has much better components, even in the +3.

Gearing is really low on a mountain bike compared to what the Explore has, which is more like a road bike. So the Trance, even with road wheels, tops out really easily. To take advantage of riding it on road one would really want a larger front chain ring. I'm still contemplating that. For the ebike Trance, the gearing is really almost too low even for offroad.

A wheel set will run you five to seven hundred by the time you get another cassette and tires and wheels. I was lucky to get a take-off set for dirt cheap - normally you would spend two to four hundred per wheel.

I have not ridden a Fathom. But from what I know about it, I would rather have the Explore for road and bike paths - dirt or paved. The Fathom gives you more mtb ergos, bigger tires, and a better fork. It's still not even close to a Stance or Trance.

If I had to choose between my two - Trance or Explore, that would be a really tough choice. I guess the way I've got the Trance fixed up with the extra wheels, I could live with it. But no rear rack, it feels bulky in comparison, and you pay all that money for state of the art suspension and then lock it out for road? Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Anyway, my personal thoughts on the matter...for what it's worth.

Also, an avid new ebiker here on the forum dropped for a Fathom (LIV comparable) and then traded it off for a FS a couple of months later. Once you start riding offroad you find it to be REALLY addicting. It's just SO much fun, but requires the equipment to do it.

EDIT: It was @Anna - she has chimed in here.
I've never heard of anyone that DIDN'T like their Trance/Intrigue. They just flat work, and very competitively priced compared to what else is out there.

Last edited:
But no rear rack,
That's sorted out. I'm using the Topeak Tetra Rack M2 with my Trance E+

That is the sole reason I opted out of buying "spiked" pedals after further research. Many riders complaining about holes in their shins.
Just to make sure, I mounted the stock Specialized flat pedals (these are VP-831) on my Trance E+ for today's off-road ride. Oh, no. It does not work that way. Even when the weather was still fine, my feet were slipping on the pedals. Then, I was met by a pouring rain... Oh, no. It must be at least some kind of spikes on the pedals. I have ordered Race Face Ride, the ones with the "traction studs" instead of pins. We'll see.

You made me smile David! Thank you for that!

I've just tuned my Trance E+ even more. -10 psi in the sus fork, +20 psi for the rear damper, two-clicks for more sus fork return dampening, tyre pressure reduced to 1.5 bar. Going for a forest ride to test the range in the Giant AUTO assist mode ;)
I thought you lost auto assist, Stephen, with your Evo display “upgrade”? Anyway, I am going to guess you will not like auto assist on dirt trails.... be careful. Anxious to hear your opinion! 🤣 🚴‍♀️

Last edited:
After a few hundred miles riding trails and offroad, a FS suits much better for that.

Trance vs Stance - the former has their 'maestro' suspension linkage which is much superior than the Stance. Same for their non-ebikes. The Trance also has much better components, even in the +3.

Gearing is really low on a mountain bike compared to what the Explore has, which is more like a road bike. So the Trance, even with road wheels, tops out really easily. It take advantage of riding it on road one would really want a larger front chain ring. I'm still contemplating that. For the ebike Trance, the gearing is really almost too low even for offroad.

A wheel set will run you five to seven hundred by the time you get another cassette and tires and wheels. I was lucky to get a take-off set for dirt cheap - normally you would spend two to four hundred per wheel.

I have not ridden a Fathom. But from what I know about it, I would rather have the Explore for road and bike paths - dirt or paved. The Fathom gives you more mtb ergos, bigger tires, and a better fork. It's still not even close to a Stance or Trance.

If I had to choose between the two, that would be a really tough choice. I guess the way I've got the Trance fixed up with the extra wheels, I could live with it. But no rear rack, it feels bulky in comparison, and you pay all that money for state of the art suspension and then lock it out for road? Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Anyway, my person thoughts on the matter...for what it's worth.

Also, an avid new ebiker here on the form dropped for a Fathom (LIV comparable) and then traded it off for a FS a couple of months later. Once you start riding offroad you find it to be REALLY addicting. It's just SO much fun, but requires the equipment to do it.
I agree with @Browneye. My Liv Valle e+ has front suspension only and I added a Creek Crane Thudbuster. With my new Liv Intrigue full-suspension “maestro“ the choice is simple. No more back or neck pain over tree roots or pavement potholes. The difference is incredible. 🚴‍♀️

@RandallS - if you can swing the $$ for the E+1 Pro I don't think you'd be disappointed. It's just not that great as a road and bike path bike, but with some dual-purpose tires, lock out the suspension, it could be ride-able.
Just fantastic on singletrack trails though. 👍

@RandallS - if you can swing the $$ for the E+1 Pro I don't think you'd be disappointed. It's just not that great as a road and bike path bike, but with some dual-purpose tires, lock out the suspension, it could be ride-able.
Just fantastic on singletrack trails though. 👍
I can swing the $$ no problem, but not until I'm reasonably sure it's the one. Test ride tomorrow on the Fathom E+1 Pro. Might squeeze a ride on the Stance too, but it's only available in Small right now.

There's no super duper rush as my current ride is fine, just not really suitable for anything other than roads and good pike paths. It's going be a challenge for geometry but the LBS has a very good rep on customer service, so I'm confident they can tweak it for me. My test ride on the Explore reminded me that my neck issues (cervical fusions - congenital) don't like an aggressive forward stance. Handlebar and stem mods are always going to be needed.

The 2021 products should start showing up soon but I don't think there'll be the same clear out pricing that has happened in previous years. On that note, I really don't understand Specialized sales incentive strategy this spring - they either really misread the market, or have big changes coming and wanted to completely empty their warehouses as soon as they could!

Thanks for sharing your insights.

I thought you lost auto assist, Stephen, with your Evo display “upgrade”? Anyway, I am going to guess you will not like auto assist on dirt trails.... be careful. Anxious to hear your opinion! 🤣 🚴‍♀️
No, Anna, AUTO is there if I long-press the UP arrow 😄 The report will be later in David's thread.

Ah, that's not worthwhile... I will probably end up with Race Face Ride, having plastic "molded traction studs" that are at least not sharp ;)

You really have 2 choices... go with the nylon resin pedals or full-on SPD.

I have a few bikes with the nylon platforms and they do the job well for most... ;)

Back