eMTB Options For 2024

With the $500 price drop upgrading to the comp is now $1500 so might not be as clear cut. I was more just pointing out the 2020 entry level TL might be a better benchmark to compare to that used 2017 model.

Some negotiating can sometimes get a dealer to drop the price 10%. Also helps if the factory drops their wholesale price.
This should tell you what Specialized thinks of their base model. Or at least the market demand for it ;)

I test rode both the comp and the SL. Very nice bikes. One of them was the CF model, can't recall. There were a few '19 models left as well - msrp on the levo comp was $5300 or thereabouts. With sales tax that was still considerably more than what I paid for my TranceE. I had already adjusted my price parameter up considerably, based on what I learned about the bikes and the market. More than six grand just lost its appeal.

Everywhere I went it became clear the hardcore enthusiast for this kind of bike was willing to spend big bucks for the best, while the lessor models either weren't available (not stocked), or languishing unsold on the showroom floor. Saw this a lot on the Trek models. I could not get a dealer to show me a new Rail. One dealer was bringing in some of the CF ones, but not an alloy one. No way to even test one out.

YT Industries makes a killer bike for $4500 - the Decoy. And Commencal out of Boulder, was discounting some leftover models that were a steal-deal as well.

We've been having a lot of fun here exploring all the options. 👍
Welcome aboard!

Buyer psychology says most consumers will buy the middle of the road ebike/pedal/clipless shoe...because in your mind your better than the base model, but might not have the means or understanding spouse, to purchase the top of the line model. A lot of riders really need to check their actual needs, wants and desires when it comes to time in the saddle, battery power, and speed needs. Often the base model is more than enough. But, if they want to spend more....:)

When it comes to speed, please be careful out there if your still riding. Having lost 3 friends so far, and 2 others dealing with covid, its not a time to be needing a visit to the hospital.

Buyer psychology says most consumers will buy the middle of the road ebike/pedal/clipless shoe...because in your mind your better than the base model, but might not have the means or understanding spouse, to purchase the top of the line model. A lot of riders really need to check their actual needs, wants and desires when it comes to time in the saddle, battery power, and speed needs. Often the base model is more than enough. But, if they want to spend more....:)

When it comes to speed, please be careful out there if your still riding. Having lost 3 friends so far, and 2 others dealing with covid, its not a time to be needing a visit to the hospital.

Tell me about it. I'm still healing up, doing better, but have sneezed just 3 times in two weeks and it STILL HURTS. :rolleyes:
Saw my PT doc a week ago, again tonight. At least the resting pain is gone. I still think I have a cracked rib, but he thinks not.

Went out for a fifteen-miler on Sunday, pretty fun. Even got rained on. No issues, no one out there cuz it was cool and misty.

The new Minion DHRII rear is excellent, if not a bit buzzy on tar. Bike is just fantastic though. 👍

Friends,

A couple of friends of mine, riders of traditional hybrid bikes, has given me a challenge. They said I wouldn't make a 53-km (33 mi) trip with overall 808 m (2650 ft) elevation gain, split into 10 steep inclines if I rode together with them on my e-bike. They are in age 40-50 and generally fit but not performance cyclists.

Taken into account my legs are ill but I can do 100 km rides on the flat, do you think my Vado would be good to at least match them? Or, would an e-MTB perform even better? Unluckily I cannot give you the grade of the hills.

P.S. The inclines consist 27% of the route, down-slopes 15% (very steep) and the remaining 58% is on the flat. The terrain is either tarmac or easy forest path.

Last edited:
Friends,

A couple of friends of mine, riders of traditional hybrid bikes, has given me a challenge. They said I wouldn't make a 53-km (33 mi) trip with overall 808 m (2650 ft) elevation gain, split into 10 steep inclines if I rode together with them on my e-bike. They are in age 40-50 and generally fit but not performance cyclists.

Taken into account my legs are ill but I can do 100 km rides on the flat, do you think my Vado would be good to at least match them? Or, would an e-MTB perform even better? Unluckily I cannot give you the grade of the hills.

P.S. The inclines consist 27% of the route, down-slopes 15% (very steep) and the remaining 58% is on the flat. The terrain is either tarmac or gravel.
You'll probably run out juice on the battery halfway.

Will kind of depend on how fast they ride, no?
If they'll have you, give it a shot! 👍
Do it for the experience and comparison!

My guess is you can do it on one pack.

Will kind of depend on how fast they ride, no?
If they'll have you, give it a shot! 👍
Do it for the experience and comparison!

My guess is you can do it on one pack.
They rode for 3 1/2 hours net and their average speed was 14.8 km/h (9.2 mph). Does it provide any useful info?

Oh, Chris, I'm sure I would need both batteries.

You can do this one, Stefan!You should be able to do 33 miles on a Vado without any problem at all. I assume most of those uphills will be followed by downhills where you can turn the power off if you feel you need to. The 2650 feet of elevation is pretty significant, but even so, it’s only 30 some odd miles. With a 600 WH battery? If I couldn’t get my Giant with a 500 Wh that far, I’d throw it in the garbage can.

That's surely not very fast. My charge pack range calculator at those speeds, with level 1 or 2 - easy to maintain that speed - shows 60 miles or more. 33 miles should be a piece of cake.

If you were saying they were athletes on road bikes doing 18-22, then I would say no way. But 10mph??

I average 12-13mph, OFFROAD on my eMTB, and it calculates to about a 30 mile range. If I set the assist level down and slow down a little, it jumps up closer to 40 miles. That is up and down hills, fat knobby tires, and full suspension.

It's not the range but the incline I think that will drain the battery the most. If it was flat 30 miles, one pack would be no problem with juice left over, but steep incline most of the way is a different story.

Friends,

P.S. The inclines consist 27% of the route, down-slopes 15% (very steep) and the remaining 58% is on the flat. The terrain is either tarmac or gravel.

Relax, you should manage that on 1 battery. Take a tow rope for them if you have a spare battery

We did this a couple of years ago (45 km, 1200 m ascent - but we added an extra 5 km so 50 km total )

I rode mostly in " basic" which is 125% assistance untill the last 10 km of undulating trail where I realised I hadn't even reached 50% power usage ...and I had an opportunuty to follow the guy who teachers the teachers....full power , lots if adrenaline, awesome experience, and still 35% battery left!

My 13 yo daughter was on a focus jam -375 w of battery. She got back with 2/5 bars left.

There were 100 ebikes on that ride, a handfull had second batteries and those guys chewed through power because they could. Nobody ran out of battery, although mist of the faster guys were down to 1 bar by the end. This was in the 500 wh era.

The trick is to cruise steadily uphill - spin the cranks at a fast comfortable cadence in a gear that keeps you moving without loading up yourself or the motor- you'll easily match good riders yet conserve power. Oh, and on the last uphill....flick up to full power , get to the top and start brewing coffee for them

Last edited:
If you're talking normal altitude ( ie oxygen levels) , the shuttle I do at my local mtb park has a 4x4 access road - 3.5 km, 300 m elevation gain. Most days I'll easily get in 4-5 runs (1200-1500 m elevation ) and I sit on 15 -20 kph riding up . The down hill tracks are between 1.5 and 3 km long... THAT is what turns my legs to jelly.

Lately I've been towing sprogette 1 on the shuttles - we manage about 9 kph with both of us pedalling , me in full assist and her on a conventional bike. After 4 runs we're both exhausted and there is about 15% of my 500 wh battery left.

nb loose gravel, dual suspension mtb with dh tyres and low pressures. When towing her it's a struggle to get traction on the steeper sections (2 wd cars also struggle for traction there)

Thank you all very much for the encouraging information!

Yes, the couple will have me in Kraków as soon I can drive up there.

The route looks as follows. A part of it leads through forest trail but that's not a technical one:
1588393880993.png

The actual elevation profile reads it is 737 m of elevation gain (2400 ft). Some inclines do indeed look steep:

1588394257896.png

I wonder if this link would open the route on your computers:

It's an interesting challenge. What I understand is a mid-motor e-bike can beat an average traditional bicycle uphill. I only wonder if the 48T - 42T gear ratio would be enough for the steep places. Do you think it is worthwhile to somewhat deflate the tyres?

P.S. My brother said he would go on some local rides together with me. We both live in a flatland and he is athletic at his age of 56; he rides a traditional FS MTB. That would be fun to ride together!

Attachments

• 1588394182197.png
    1588394182197.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't realise the link I posted had a non functional elevation graph

This has the buller epic - a LOT steeper on the uphills and no need to deflate tyres for traction

If I'm reading your graph correctly, the hills only gain 100 m over 3-5 km? On the access road where I struggle for traction WHEN TOWING it is short steep sections - about 5 x steeper than what that graph shows.

Our bikes are amazing machines, relax and enjoy it.

That's really reassuring @PDoz, thank you very much!

The friend has told me that even the forest path is paved, so I relax.

We want pics!! 😍

My son is down from the Bay Area to visit. My bike shop owner is lending us his TranceE so we can ride the local trail loop tomorrow - together! We used to ride dirt bikes together, so It will be fun. He's a big guy, 3" taller and 50lbs heavier. Lol We'll setup the bike for him.

That's surely not very fast. My charge pack range calculator at those speeds, with level 1 or 2 - easy to maintain that speed - shows 60 miles or more. 33 miles should be a piece of cake.

If you were saying they were athletes on road bikes doing 18-22, then I would say no way. But 10mph??

I average 12-13mph, OFFROAD on my eMTB, and it calculates to about a 30 mile range. If I set the assist level down and slow down a little, it jumps up closer to 40 miles. That is up and down hills, fat knobby tires, and full suspension.
Your calculations sound about right. If I stay in Eco (level 2) and ride at that speed, I am getting 35 miles plus. My cadence meter is telling me that I am doing most of the work on those rides.

Back