eMTB Options For 2024

I picked up a can of Krylon Fusion - spray for plastic in high gloss blue. It turned out really nice. I love it. I stopped first at Home Depot to get a can and they don't even sell it. I told them to tell their store manager they don't know what they're doing. If you sell spray paint you have to sell krylon fusion. LOL

And what we do when shut-in...bikes and home-brewed craft beers! 🍻
Hope your Friday is as good as mine!! This whole pandemic thing just completely sucks. But we'll deal...

[/QUOTE}
Why not get some "clear protective frame tape" for that beautiful finish on your Giant? I have a matte finish, so it would not serve me as well IMO. Cheers with a home brew in hand. 🍻🍺

Why not get some "clear protective frame tape" for that beautiful finish on your Giant? I have a matte finish, so it would not serve me as well IMO. Cheers with a home brew in hand. 🍻

Your quote came in under the quote brackets...so hidden.

The only rig I've ever bothered with putting a protective overlay on, is the nose on my new Dodge Challenger. I've never really worried about finish wear on bikes and such, but at least the top tube might be worth a look.
Even the gloss finish 3M overlay gets sticky and dull, but it does do a good job protecting from rock chips scratches, etc.

The fuel tank on my Tiger got 27K adventure miles, on and offroad, all kinds of weather, and not a nick or scratch on the paint. [shrug]

Your quote came in under the quote brackets...so hidden.

The only rig I've ever bothered with putting a protective overlay on, is the nose on my new Dodge Challenger. I've never really worried about finish wear on bikes and such, but at least the top tube might be worth a look.
Even the gloss finish 3M overlay gets sticky and dull, but it does do a good job protecting from rock chips scratches, etc.

The fuel tank on my Tiger got 27K adventure miles, on and offroad, all kinds of weather, and not a nick or scratch on the paint. [shrug]

Okay, sorry about the hidden quote, my bad. I have to say, you have a lot of nice toys. Not too shabby. Perhaps the tape in only the most vulnerable areas may suffice. I was not sure how good of a product 3M was for this application. Perhaps I will pick up a small roll for my top tube/down tube.

Oh, it's no problem. Yes, I'm getting ready to turn 63 and have collected a lot of fun stuff over the years. We earn a decent income, and spend it all and then some.

Current wife of thirty years was diagnosed with cancer about 18 years ago, she was 36/37. Lymphoma - cancer in the blood. She went thru 18 weeks of chemo, they nearly killed her, but she recovered and has been cancer-free since. The rest of my family didn't fair so well, ravaged by cancer, many lost the fight.

So we don't wait for a rainy day to live our life. We've done it all and then some, we've traveled and explored, lived to the nines. We're not waiting for anything, for you never know when your last days are. We have a modest retirement account, and a home we've lived in for 28 years, and will rely on SS to supplant our retirement years. We are not rich, just modest wage-earners, but creative, and make our dollars stretch. I have had to start over financially, four times in my life. That's a lot of the reason why you see I bought a four thousand dollar eMTB instead of an eight-thousand dollar one. ;)

I've been buying and selling sporting gear and hobby stuff since my early teens, to move on to the next interest. I'm happy, contented, have done it and seen it. I'm ready to go, and ready to stay. I have no fear. 👍

Wow, you sound like my brother from another mother!

What is it about the women we choose? Mine is also a long term cancer survivor (due to an experimental medication she took for unusual blood clotting as a teen). We've been dealing with marriage coming up on 35 years this month, and dealing on and off with cancer for 36 years. :eek: Amazing what a doctor's '6 months to live' prognosis does to a young family's long term goals. But she's not ready to go and keeps surprising all of her docs.

Oh, it's no problem. Yes, I'm getting ready to turn 63 and have collected a lot of fun stuff over the years. We earn a decent income, and spend it all and then some.

Current wife of thirty years was diagnosed with cancer about 18 years ago, she was 36/37. Lymphoma - cancer in the blood. She went thru 18 weeks of chemo, they nearly killed her, but she recovered and has been cancer-free since. The rest of my family didn't fair so well, ravaged by cancer, many lost the fight.

So we don't wait for a rainy day to live our life. We've done it all and then some, we've traveled and explored, lived to the nines. We're not waiting for anything, for you never know when your last days are. We have a modest retirement account, and a home we've lived in for 28 years, and will rely on SS to supplant our retirement years. We are not rich, just modest wage-earners, but creative, and make our dollars stretch. I have had to start over financially, four times in my life. That's a lot of the reason why you see I bought a four thousand dollar eMTB instead of an eight-thousand dollar one. ;)

I've been buying and selling sporting gear and hobby stuff since my early teens, to move on to the next interest. I'm happy, contented, have done it and seen it. I'm ready to go, and ready to stay. I have no fear. 👍
Way to go and I am sure everyone here gives their blessings to you and your loved ones. You have to be a bit frugal to acquire things you enjoy over time. Makes the wait more rewarding when you finally get there. I have always been in that mindset myself. I always waited to buy instead of doing impulse buying on large purchases. Enjoy! :)

Something weird going on with my phone camera - it's only taking a single shot and not focussing properly, the only way to get semi acceptable ohotos is to take screen shots from video. Oh well, it's not like I'm going anywhere new at the moment.

Attachments

• 1CA61EB1-2353-48CA-BF01-61643EA40E70.jpeg
    1CA61EB1-2353-48CA-BF01-61643EA40E70.jpeg
    691.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 85F8346A-78BE-4848-8A0A-E533184866C9.jpeg
    85F8346A-78BE-4848-8A0A-E533184866C9.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 290
I know that this is a 2020 eMTB thread, but I'm hoping some of you can offer your thoughts on a 2017 Turbo Levo that someone is selling near my neighborhood for $2400. Good deal or no?

He said no crashes or parts replaced. He doesn't know the mileage, based on the fact that he kept it in storage and what I can see tell from threadwear, my guess is less than 500 miles. My biggest worry is the battery health.
1586327154687.png
1586327174596.png
1586327188879.png

Ask over here

My vague memory is the 2017 motor was less powerful but more reliable . A brose motor out of warranty is more of a gamble than the battery.

If it has been stored at 50-60% charge state, it should be fine.
A new one is 6-grand plus.
If the bike was really nice otherwise, I might offer a couple thousand.

Decide if you would own it at any price. If so, then what price would make you go 'hell yeah', and offer that.
If that price is a lot lower than the seller is asking, just put it out there as an option for him if he can't sell it otherwise. That way you won't be sorry either which way.

You could always negotiate an extended trial - charge it fully, ride it ten miles, and see how the range is looking, and confirm that it performs properly.

$1800 to $2000 is what pops in my head. I have four grand in my Trance, and doubtful it's twice as good.

Something weird going on with my phone camera - it's only taking a single shot and not focussing properly, the only way to get semi acceptable ohotos is to take screen shots from video. Oh well, it's not like I'm going anywhere new at the moment.

I replaced the front camera in my iPhone 6plus for about $12. They wanted $350.
A new battery is about $10.
They are tying to make it so you can't repair them so you HAVE to buy a new one.

I recently bought a new hard tail eMTB, but the shop emailed the next day and told me that they didn't actually have any more stock of the L size frame I ordered, but they had the 'display' bike, which had a few scratches.

My biggest worry was also the health of the battery. A new Bosch PowerPack 400 would set me back about $700, so that's what I told the seller, and said I would take the bike if he discounted that much off the price.

He offered a much smaller discount, then a 2-year battery "insurance policy" and such, but I held my position and for the sale he ultimately accepted it.

So go into the purchase at a price you are comfortable with, assuming that part 'xyz' may fail since it is a used bike. It might end up being a low offer, but all the seller can do is say no.

I know that this is a 2020 eMTB thread, but I'm hoping some of you can offer your thoughts on a 2017 Turbo Levo that someone is selling near my neighborhood for $2400. Good deal or no?

He said no crashes or parts replaced. He doesn't know the mileage, based on the fact that he kept it in storage and what I can see tell from threadwear, my guess is less than 500 miles. My biggest worry is the battery health.
View attachment 49320View attachment 49321View attachment 49322

I have a 2018 Turbo Levo. I think the Mission Control app works with the 2017, it will tell you how many times the battery has been charged and the health of the battery. A new battery is $900. A Specialized lbs should also be able to tell you the condition of the motor and battery. As for the value, I think it may be a little high due to lower power assist.

You may also ask your question at the emtb forum.

I guess I'll pass on this. I may consider Frey AM1000 base spec at $2380 has lower level components but with Bafang Ultra and with free shipping campaign which ends 4/10, but not decided yet since the wait is 7 months....

I guess I'll pass on this. I may consider Frey AM1000 base spec at $2380 has lower level components but with Bafang Ultra and with free shipping campaign which ends 4/10, but not decided yet since the wait is 7 months....

Maybe see what Crazy-Lenny's has.

That 7 months may extend up to a year or more. :rolleyes:

I replaced the front camera in my iPhone 6plus for about $12. They wanted $350.
A new battery is about $10.
They are tying to make it so you can't repair them so you HAVE to buy a new one.

Yeah, the phone us a sony xperia z5 compact - waterproof, which means everything is set in sticky sealant stuff. Very much a throw away phone ( but at $200 oz that's only an issue because you can't get them now....which is a shame, I like compact phones )

I'm reasonably sure this is a software rather than hardware issue - the camera works in video mode. But factory reset and restore from sd card didn't fix it so presumably whatever glitch I've created is part of the back up now. Decisions....do I carry the olympus omd ...

That 2017 specialized is much more of a mtb than the frey. I guess it depends on if you intend to mtb ride of just motor around on dirt tracks

A new one is 6-grand plus.

Currently around $4500 after rebate for entry level 2020 TL model.

Currently around $4500 after rebate for entry level 2020 TL model.

And for the cost of the 700+ wh pack you get a whole host of other upgrades - suspension, brakes, shifter, etc. The comp version is kind of a no-brainer if you're dropping that much cash for eMTB.
At least they put a dropper seat on for this year on the base unit. That's worth a couple of hundred.

Back