eMTB Options For 2024

And before I discovered Husky's and KTM's (and e-bikes). Those BMW GS's were such pigs off road, and I used to sell boatloads of them in my first retirement job.

i-pDKL4bW-XL.jpg

Not mine, but from the oz section of advrider

Attachments

• 1A7A4BF2-2980-4D31-B1B4-258E0832353E.jpeg
    1A7A4BF2-2980-4D31-B1B4-258E0832353E.jpeg
    731 KB · Views: 297
Wish I had that sort of reliability from my small block guzzi ( 30 yrs ago)

Attachments

• 2C3BC635-4C66-4620-8834-3527283B41BA.jpeg
    2C3BC635-4C66-4620-8834-3527283B41BA.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 270
I wanted a Griso so bad I could taste it. Kind of liked the Stelvio too, got the GS instead.

At Laguna Seca, World SuperBike, 2013

Last edited:
I wanted a Grizzo so bad I could taste it. Kind of liked the Stelvio too, got the GS instead.

At Laguna Seca, World SuperBike, 2013

Go stand in front if a mirror and yell at yourself!

Post 2013 was the pic of the carc bikes - they had just sorted the flat tappet fiasco and all the potential issues were known. Being completely honest here, I suspect that if I had a grisio instead if stella I would never have sold - one of the nicest bikes guzzi ever built. The last remnant from an era where guzzi built enthusiast bikes rather than wannabee jokes.

I've just spent 10 minutes sifting back through pictures on my phone and have realised the last time I rode stella in anger was just before buying my full e pro (2018) .

A pair of Dakine full-finger gloves showed up in the mail today...
I was a little disappointed the palms were microfiber and not leather. Should have known better. I'll try them.
Maybe I can go for a spin tomorrow.

gdcvt1-1.jpg

I nearly bought a Ducati Monster - any size. Even the 696 is a rocket. They have to be RED. Like FERRARI red. 😍

very different prospect to a grisio. The monster is sensible but , well, easy. A guzzi is non negotiable, you have to engage in the riding process. It takes a while to adapt to, but there's something magical about threading a big block through the twisties . The longitudinal motor, shaft drive, and an interesting torque curve , it's addictive and NOTHING produced in the last decade comes close. The v11 lemans I had was even more guzzi.

Think electric assist off road unicycle ....

Lockdown lessons....if it's windy, wear the armour. This twig wasn't there on the way out. No harm done, but the camera shake gives an indication of my adrenaline levels....

Attachments

• B5AECDF1-E729-495E-A27C-7F387ADB2C84.jpeg
    B5AECDF1-E729-495E-A27C-7F387ADB2C84.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 300
Friends,
I was thinking if the full suspension could help me. My brother test-rode my Lovelec equipped with a cheap Suntour suspension fork, a cheap Promax suspension seat-post and a suspended Selle Royal saddle:

-- Maaaan! It's a very soft bike! -- He exclaimed. And I thought my Lovelec was not comfy :D I have to add my brother rides some expensive even if old Giant FS MTB.

What I have found my issue is the bottom bracket and the crankset cannot be suspended! My legs below the knees suffer from arteriosclerosis and hurt from vibrations. Nothing can be done about it though.

Friends,
I was thinking if the full suspension could help me. My brother test-rode my Lovelec equipped with a cheap Suntour suspension fork, a cheap Promax suspension seat-post and a suspended Selle Royal saddle:

-- Maaaan! It's a very soft bike! -- He exclaimed. And I thought my Lovelec was not comfy :D I have to add my brother rides some expensive even if old Giant FS MTB.

What I have found my issue is the bottom bracket and the crankset cannot be suspended! My legs below the knees suffer from arteriosclerosis and hurt from vibrations. Nothing can be done about it though.

Each of those components adds flex / vagueness, and I have to confess I find the whole suspension seat / post thing weird - sort of like trying to use crutches whilst wearing roller skates. The disconnect between pedals and seat just doesn't work with my crippled knees / feet.

A decent fs bike has all 3 contact points floating on air....literally if you have decent air shocks.

Pardon me, @PDoz? You do not mean the pedals as one of the contact points, do you.

effectively , yes. Seat, pedals, bars are the contact points , there is no flex between them just the ability to rotate appropriately.

Once you fit a seat spring / suspension post into the picture, you lose some of the ability to control via the seat. For perspective on this, I don't even weaf a chamois because I feel disconnected when seated. ( yet am perfectly happy riding up on the pedals , weird....)

An experiment to understand - borrow a pillow from the lounge and put it on the bike saddle

Trail riding is so much different from the road or gravel experience, @PDoz... I was wondering whether a FS R&M would really be better than what I ride now. I don't think so. My bikes are heavy enough.

I understand your point though. I should demo-ride an FS e-bike when the current madness is over and get my own experience.

Last edited:
Very close! It's Bixby Bridge in Big Sur, just south of Monterey, CA.

View attachment 48976
Passed through Big Sur on my last trip up PCH. For "flatlanders" like us from the Midwest, I was in paradise. Both you and Browneye certainly live in God's country. So breathtaking, it is beyond words. Relish the moments guys. Thanks for posting.

Back