eMTB Options For 2024

Ahhh....the joys of a flail chest and pneumothorax. Six breaks in ribs and a section of chest wall that floated over my spine so it looked like a spinal injury with the ribs sitting on top of my spine and a numb patch on my chest wall. What was particularly unfair is I could still feel the bony pain even though the skin was numb. Oh, and 5 bones in my foot, busted shoulder, a helicopter ride.....All those decades of doing crazy things at high speed in remote areas...and I drop my motorbike putting it in the shed. With my daughter watching.

I agree the Yamaha OEM 28 mph speed version sounds great.

I couldn't wait and went ahead and added a BadA$$ Box for a 40 mph maximum speed limit. ;)

It's nice to know that the design of the PW-X motor can handle the additional speed without missing a beat.
The box has to be one of the BEST upgrades I have made thus far. That extra speed is great on the flats or just trying to make it home faster in a pinch. I also like that when you are set to Eco, you can still tone down torque/speed to conserve your battery on the extended trips. A 'must have' for me! 👍

Is the bad-A box the one that goes inside the motor connection/wiring area? Not the clip-on over the speed sensor?

My last trip out I did a lot of riding in mode-2, usually I use 3, but I thought I would see how my time was doing over 22 miles, as well as reduce pack consumption.
I was ten minutes faster, and that included moaning and groaning for 10 minutes post-crash before I got on and pedaled home. So I was making really good time, but arrived with 25% charge left - last time was 24%. Did not seem to change it.

Worth noting though, at a 10-mile pit stop for a drink and take off a windbreaker, distance/range remaining showed 40 miles. That's a pretty good range if I could actually hit it.

Ahhh....the joys of a flail chest and pneumothorax. Six breaks in ribs and a section of chest wall that floated over my spine so it looked like a spinal injury with the ribs sitting on top of my spine and a numb patch on my chest wall. What was particularly unfair is I could still feel the bony pain even though the skin was numb. Oh, and 5 bones in my foot, busted shoulder, a helicopter ride.....All those decades of doing crazy things at high speed in remote areas...and I drop my motorbike putting it in the shed. With my daughter watching.

Sorry to hear about your recent injury... we hope you get well soon.

I think you are entitled to take poetic license and enhance your story a bit... like almost landing that 30' cliff jump. ;)

Is the bad-A box the one that goes inside the motor connection/wiring area? Not the clip-on over the speed sensor?

My last trip out I did a lot of riding in mode-2, usually I use 3, but I thought I would see how my time was doing over 22 miles, as well as reduce pack consumption.
I was ten minutes faster, and that included moaning and groaning for 10 minutes post-crash before I got on and pedaled home. So I was making really good time, but arrived with 25% charge left - last time was 24%. Did not seem to change it.

Worth noting though, at a 10-mile pit stop for a drink and take off a windbreaker, distance/range remaining showed 40 miles. That's a pretty good range if I could actually hit it.

The BadA$$ Box is the clip that goes over the speed sensor on the rear Chainstay.

It works well and I like having the flexibility to remove the device when not needed.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your recent injury... we hope you get well soon.

I think you are entitled to take poetic license and enhance your story a bit... like almost landing that 30' cliff jump. ;)

Nah, that was 2017 - in fact it was what got me into emtb. All the broken foot bones meant I couldn't walk more than a few hundred metres so I needed an exercise option that worked my foot muscles without exhausting what was left of my thighs. I tried using my regular mtb , but had list too much fitness - the emtb was life changing. Family changing as well, the regular mtb was handed down through the kids and it gave us something to replace bush walking etc.

The BadA$$ Box is the clip that goes over the speed sensor on the rear Chainstay.

It works well and I like having the flexibility to remove the device when not needed.

Just a heads up, giant are well aware of this device and when you need warranty work they WILL interpret your average speed / pattern of assist usage etc. I think my magnet wasn't reliably reading for about 2000 km and I was VERY lucky that my usage pattern was mostly in eco / off . It took a bit of negotiating but my warranty remained intact.

I have never had any service issues... what type of device were you using? Internal to the motor system?

I have never had any service issues... what type of device were you using? Internal to the motor system?

I wasn't using a device. The magnet wasn't reliably reading so it looked like my average speed was half expected. Giants initial response was that indicates a bad ass box. Not very pleasant for my lbs who know me well enough to realise I'm not a speed freak ( I actually believe tge widespread acceptance of emtb on Australian trails is due to our 25 k cut off, and that's a compromise I'm willing to accept)

I wasn't using a device. The magnet wasn't reliably reading so it looked like my average speed was half expected. Giants initial response was that indicates a bad ass box. Not very pleasant for my lbs who know me well enough to realise I'm not a speed freak ( I actually believe tge widespread acceptance of emtb on Australian trails is due to our 25 k cut off, and that's a compromise I'm willing to accept)

Interesting... I don't think I could live with a 25 kph / 15.6 mph limit. ;)

More on Tires...

So another member here @smorgasbord was replacing his Minions with something else for mostly road going with his bikes, and I offered to take them off his hands. In particular the DHR II had appeal, and he made me a killer deal on them with virtually no miles, so it was a no-brainer. Per @PDoz was saying what a great tire it was, and they must have installed the REKON to improve range, lower and smoother rolling. Only what I want is best traction, and this should improve braking as well.

We are up to motor-bike size tires on these things now! :p

The front DHF is the same as what I have, but the set are 2.8's, my stock ones are 2.6. You can't really tell .2 inches much. And of course it fits perfect, looks great, and I'm sure it will work great. I'm kind of out of commish for at least a couple of weeks. 😞
Gee, this mountain biking thing is addicting. 😍

Here's a couple of pics for comparison - yes, the unmounted REKON looks bigger, that's just cuz it's unmounted. But look at the tread difference!
These tires are really tight on the rim - the most difficult bicycle tires I've ever had the pleasure of swapping out. No problem, just fit much tighter that regular bike tires.

The bikes cleans up pretty well - you can't really tell there's a couple of hundred miles of dirt and mud here...

Tried to catch some of that sparkle in the paint here...what a gorgeous day!
BTW, I really like the RACEFACE bars. I'm at a nearly perfect height now. It's a little low for street pedaling, but perfect offroad.

Last edited:
Interesting... I don't think I could live with a 25 kph / 15.6 mph limit. ;)
I concur. That would be pure torture for me. Even at 20mph, I always felt the need to push the bike much faster than the depressing "cut off" point.
My BH commuter is a 2015 model, and it does not cut off until I reach approx 23mph. I lucked out on that one.

More on Tires...

So another member here @smorgasbord was replacing his Minions with something else for mostly road going with his bikes, and I offered to take them off his hands. In particular the DHR II had appeal, and he made me a killer deal on them with virtually no miles, so it was a no-brainer. Per @PDoz was saying what a great tire it was, and they must have installed the REKON to improve range, lower and smoother rolling. Only what I want is best traction, and this should improve braking as well.

We are up to motor-bike size tires on these things now! :p

The front DHF is the same as what I have, but the set are 2.8's, my stock ones are 2.6. You can't really tell .2 inches much. And of course it fits perfect, looks great, and I'm sure it will work great. I'm kind of out of commish for at least a couple of weeks. 😞
Gee, this mountain biking thing is addicting. 😍

Here's a couple of pics for comparison - yes, the unmounted REKON looks bigger, that's just cuz it's unmounted. But look at the tread difference!
These tires are really tight on the rim - the most difficult bicycle tires I've ever had the pleasure of swapping out. No problem, just fit much tighter that regular bike tires.

The bikes cleans up pretty well - you can't really tell there's a couple of hundred miles of dirt and mud here...

Tried to catch some of that sparkle in the paint here...what a gorgeous day!
BTW, I really like the RACEFACE bars. I'm at a nearly perfect height now. It's a little low for street pedaling, but perfect offroad.

Those Minion tires are really chunky, unlike my Nobby Nics which are more appropriate for the kind of terrain in my neck of the woods. Your Minions are so much in line with Moto-knobbies and more appropriate for rock garden/ tree root climbing I'm sure. Glittery metallic finish is looking pristine.
I have a very flat matte finish on mine which has very little clear coat or reflective effects. Its all good though. Nice pics.

It's surprising how rare it is to notice the 25 k limit.

On flowing mtb trails that are designed for pedal power it's rare to be going over 25 uphill, and not an issue down.

On more open trails, I tend to ride in detuned eco anyway (50% boost) , wandering along trying not to think about the saddle....waiting for the next fun section.

I guess the difference is we have universal access to mtb trails , and an amazing network. Thanks to the success of Derby in Tasmania, our pen pushers have realised mtb riding is a valuable tourism attraction so huge amounts of govt funds have been sunk into trail networks. Here's a screen shot of the places within an hours drive, with another screenshot of the tracks at the closest two. ( distance scale bottom right). Plus there are hundreds of km of informal tracks - I can ride from that little blue dot to the two closest trails and almost entirely on single line. Legally. I can live with a 25 k power limit

Attachments

• E9D8F055-A50D-4E00-9F4E-C5B3F9D70E84.png
    E9D8F055-A50D-4E00-9F4E-C5B3F9D70E84.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
  • 325C405F-7497-4689-A083-00FC80128C0D.png
    325C405F-7497-4689-A083-00FC80128C0D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 265
Riding pictures would be appreciated. Trails, terrain, riders, bikes, etc.
Or as we like to say, 'pics or it didn't happen'. 😁

Hard to give a good representation. These are from " blores hill" , the network of intermediate trails bottom left. They give an indication of why 25 k really isn't a big issue...

Attachments

• E0F5C5E9-C3F5-4683-8BB3-CAEC7D684C20.jpeg
    E0F5C5E9-C3F5-4683-8BB3-CAEC7D684C20.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 84A2BB09-EFA4-44E0-8454-CE6F9D160D1D.jpeg
    84A2BB09-EFA4-44E0-8454-CE6F9D160D1D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 280
  • 3A2A86BA-1EA6-429C-A329-D36F53C2543E.jpeg
    3A2A86BA-1EA6-429C-A329-D36F53C2543E.jpeg
    539.4 KB · Views: 281
To the north we have more open trails but with a bit less flow

Attachments