eMTB Options For 2024

Friends,

It is all set and agreed. Taking into account May 16-17th is not only a weekend but also the 17th is the National Day in Norway, I see the friends of mine at that weekend and we shall have an interesting ride. However, they come to me on the 10th and I will let them ride my e-bikes on the flats :D

Your calculations sound about right. If I stay in Eco (level 2) and ride at that speed, I am getting 35 miles plus. My cadence meter is telling me that I am doing most of the work on those rides.
My meter tells me the motor does most of the work, hence two batteries :)

Friends,

It is all set and agreed. Taking into account May 16-17th is not only a weekend but also the 17th is the National Day in Norway, I see the friends of mine at that weekend and we shall have an interesting ride. However, they come to me on the 10th and I will let them ride my e-bikes on the flats :D

My meter tells me the motor does most of the work, hence two batteries :)
In Eco mode? At 12-15 mph, my leg power appears to be surpassing the motor output, resulting in low battery output usage. 🤣

Haven't ridden any hills yet... :)
Okay sounds fair. I live in quite a flat riding landscape, so peaks and valleys are not something I am used to. In fact, if I am on an extended ride, I try to avoid steep inclines to preserve battery Whrs for less range anxiety. Has been working well for me so far. :) 👍

We got our trail loop done today in an hour and a half, 14 miles, a few hundred feet of elevation, bikes used about 40%. We rode fast, full out most of the way. As I have mention previously, my son rode a ton with me on dirtbikes, so he took right to the MTB without issue. He kept right up too. He did get jostled and lost footing on a pedal and the gripper spikes scratched his shin in a couple of places, but he survived. He's pretty tough. He missed a couple of gears shifting down and stalled out on a hill. There is some getting used to preparing for a climb - you can't just step on the shifter and gas it like a dirtbike. LOL

The LBS loaner turned out to be the bike shop owner's personal 2019 Trance SX Pro. Very generous of them, I was rather surprised. They have three eMTB demos but all have some kind of problem, and since I was wanting to take one overnight so we could rider earlier than they open, I was pushing for something. My sales guy Ricardo at Fullerton bikes is a gem. He makes it happen. I'm sure he twisted Mike's arm, assured him we would take care of his bike. 👍

Beautiful day today, it just doesn't get any nicer. And of course there were scores of walkers and bikers out on the trail today. People are done staying at home here.

My kid rode my bike, it's a large, he's quite a bit bigger than I am. The SX was a size M. It was a good chance to compare the two bikes, now that I have some time on my E+2 Pro. I added some psi to front and back on mine as he's about fifty pounds heavier - and he used all the suspension travel front and rear. I had to let a little out of the demo bike forks and didn't use all the travel.

Pdoz mentioned to pay attention to the geometry/steering, cuz they're slightly different. I don't really understand what all those numbers mean, but here's how they compare:

Spec SX Pro vs E+2 Pro
stem 40mm vs 60mm
rake 44 vs 46
trail 113 vs 109
ht angle 66 vs 66.5
WB 1211 vs 1231

I'm not clear why there is no 2020 SX Trance model - did that bike become the Reign? I also spied a CF Reign pedal bike at the store, 29-r. Very nice. Also four grand. o_O

Anyway, the SX has a shorter stem reach, and the other specs do something to make the bike steer a little quicker. I wasn't sure what that actually felt like, but the bike responds quicker without being twitchy. Some of this could be due to wheelbase as well, the different frame sizes.
The coil shock is more linear, it has more 'cush'. The single shift Eagle gears are smother and slicker, but I missed being able to grab a couple of gears going down to a lower gear.
My brakes seem better. Maybe the pads were glazed - a little more noise from them. I didn't notice any difference in the fork, but the SX has the Kashima coating, for super low stiction. The motor is a bit quieter. I understand the 2020 updates make them even more quiet.

Otherwise the SX was indescernible to my E+2. For more than two grand difference in purchase price, I know I got the better deal - especially since I got nearly a grand off the msrp. Makes me even more happy with my bike. Same wheels, same dropper seat, same tires, same power plant and pack. I do like my Rocket seat better - this one had an aftermarket saddle but I did not get the name of it.

2019 Giant Trance SX Pro E+0
I think the blue and orange color scheme is very appealing

MY19-Trance-SX_gallery05.jpg

Last edited:
The longer fork rakes out the front, so whilst it's more stable it should feel slower to steer. But it doesn't - and this surprised me at first. I suspect having the front higher might put slightly less weight on the front???

What it proved to me is all those numbers are useless without riding a bike

The longer fork rakes out the front, so whilst it's more stable it should feel slower to steer. But it doesn't - and this surprised me at first. I suspect having the front higher might put slightly less weight on the front???

What it proved to me is all those numbers are useless without riding a bike

They feel more the same than different. I should have traded bikes for a bit to confirm.
The fellow that owns the bike is a little shorter, a little lighter, and he has the bars at their lowest position on the stem. More leaned over than I usually like, but the smaller frame and shorter stem made the lower bars do-able, which surprised me a little - 'reach'. Technically, specs say I should be on a M frame for my height, arms, and leg length.

My stem is a 70mm, 8 degree. I'm going to try to find something that is 50. Maybe even flat, since I have the riser bars. That should quicken up steering a little.

I'm ready to do some traveling and go find some forest trails. The south Sierras - Kern Plateau has some really great singletrack trails that we used to ride on dirtbikes. I want to go ride them on the mountain bike. 👍

They feel more the same than different. I should have traded bikes for a bit to confirm.
The fellow that owns the bike is a little shorter, a little lighter, and he has the bars at their lowest position on the stem. More leaned over than I usually like, but the smaller frame and shorter stem made the lower bars do-able, which surprised me a little - 'reach'. Technically, specs say I should be on a M frame for my height, arms, and leg length.

My stem is a 70mm, 8 degree. I'm going to try to find something that is 50. Maybe even flat, since I have the riser bars. That should quicken up steering a little.

I'm ready to do some traveling and go find some forest trails. The south Sierras - Kern Plateau has some really great singletrack trails that we used to ride on dirtbikes. I want to go ride them on the mountain bike. 👍
I am hoping to try the same bike in a size small this week. (I want a more powerful motor so I was reading about the Intrigue E+1.) BUT...This bike you tried is now on sale $4700 (size small) making it the same price as the intrigue. I’m hoping that with all the ‘male’ geometry I can still adjust it to be similar to a Liv. 🚴‍♀️ Hoping for that shorter reach.... Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Last edited:
That sounds like a steal - deal.
My E+2 was $4200 otd. The little upgrades would be worth it to me in a heartbeat. Especially if you can get them to pay sales tax in that price.

Ladies bikes don’t have different geometries, like for like models. Saddle perhaps. Color.

They are really nice quality bikes. 👍
Performance and ride-ability on dirt is amazing. They can even get down the road in a pinch. Easy to hit the limiter, 20mph. Downhill is 30. Lol

MSRP was $7000 last year.
A new e-1 pro is $5600 for 2020. The sx is still a little nicer.

Last edited:
My E+2 was $4200 otd. The little upgrades would be worth it to me in a heartbeat. Especially if you can get them to pay sales tax in that price.

Ladies bikes don’t have different geometries, like for like models. Saddle perhaps. Color.

Performance and ride-ability on dirt is amazing. They can even get down the road in a pinch. Easy to hit the limiter, 20mph. Downhill is 30. Lol

MSRP was $7000 last year.
A new e-1 pro is $5600 for 2020. The sx is still a little nicer.
Thank you! Set up to test ride Thursday. 😁

We got our trail loop done today in an hour and a half, 14 miles, a few hundred feet of elevation, bikes used about 40%. We rode fast, full out most of the way. As I have mention previously, my son rode a ton with me on dirtbikes, so he took right to the MTB without issue. He kept right up too. He did get jostled and lost footing on a pedal and the gripper spikes scratched his shin in a couple of places, but he survived. He's pretty tough. He missed a couple of gears shifting down and stalled out on a hill. There is some getting used to preparing for a climb - you can't just step on the shifter and gas it like a dirtbike. LOL

The LBS loaner turned out to be the bike shop owner's personal 2019 Trance SX Pro. Very generous of them, I was rather surprised. They have three eMTB demos but all have some kind of problem, and since I was wanting to take one overnight so we could rider earlier than they open, I was pushing for something. My sales guy Ricardo at Fullerton bikes is a gem. He makes it happen. I'm sure he twisted Mike's arm, assured him we would take care of his bike. 👍

Beautiful day today, it just doesn't get any nicer. And of course there were scores of walkers and bikers out on the trail today. People are done staying at home here.

My kid rode my bike, it's a large, he's quite a bit bigger than I am. The SX was a size M. It was a good chance to compare the two bikes, now that I have some time on my E+2 Pro. I added some psi to front and back on mine as he's about fifty pounds heavier - and he used all the suspension travel front and rear. I had to let a little out of the demo bike forks and didn't use all the travel.

Pdoz mentioned to pay attention to the geometry/steering, cuz they're slightly different. I don't really understand what all those numbers mean, but here's how they compare:

Spec SX Pro vs E+2 Pro
stem 40mm vs 60mm
rake 44 vs 46
trail 113 vs 109
ht angle 66 vs 66.5
WB 1211 vs 1231

I'm not clear why there is no 2020 SX Trance model - did that bike become the Reign? I also spied a CF Reign pedal bike at the store, 29-r. Very nice. Also four grand. o_O

Anyway, the SX has a shorter stem reach, and the other specs do something to make the bike steer a little quicker. I wasn't sure what that actually felt like, but the bike responds quicker without being twitchy. Some of this could be due to wheelbase as well, the different frame sizes.
The coil shock is more linear, it has more 'cush'. The single shift Eagle gears are smother and slicker, but I missed being able to grab a couple of gears going down to a lower gear.
My brakes seem better. Maybe the pads were glazed - a little more noise from them. I didn't notice any difference in the fork, but the SX has the Kashima coating, for super low stiction. The motor is a bit quieter. I understand the 2020 updates make them even more quiet.

Otherwise the SX was indescernible to my E+2. For more than two grand difference in purchase price, I know I got the better deal - especially since I got nearly a grand off the msrp. Makes me even more happy with my bike. Same wheels, same dropper seat, same tires, same power plant and pack. I do like my Rocket seat better - this one had an aftermarket saddle but I did not get the name of it.

2019 Giant Trance SX Pro E+0
I think the blue and orange color scheme is very appealing

MY19-Trance-SX_gallery05.jpg
Way to go! Interesting comparison you have made here. Was a bit curious how the coil spring type rear shocks function in comparison to the cartridge style. Side note: I noticed some of the Commencal eMTBs switched over to the coil vs cartridge. Obviously personal preference. 🧐 ;)

MSRP was $7000 last year. A new e-1 pro is $5600 for 2020. The sx is still a little nicer.

BBB just posted a new listing for a Giant Trance E+1... a nice deal for anyone interested at $3,463. ;)
1588654793330.png

BBB just posted a new listing for a Giant Trance E+1... a nice deal for anyone interested at $3,463. ;)
View attachment 51567

In Australia , Giant have just started discounting the 2020 models so that USED 2019 is what our new 2020's are going for! ( ok, we're $200 more)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Always a dangerous time for me to visit the lbs...he has a habit of sneaking up behind me and whispering very tempting numbers.

In Australia , Giant have just started discounting the 2020 models so that USED 2019 is what our new 2020's are going for! ( ok, we're $200 more)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Always a dangerous time for me to visit the lbs...he has a habit of sneaking up behind me and whispering very tempting numbers.
With a mask on I hope..:rolleyes:

I really liked the 2020 Trance-1 in green. Was ready to order one when I found my E+2. Blue will have to do... ;)

The E+1 is $5600 here in US, not currently discounted - I just looked on the US site. If they knocked a grand off it would be pretty killer.

MY20TranceE+1Pro_ColorA.jpg

We were discussing geometry and handling offline, comparing my bike to the test-ride I did on the SX Pro last weekend. The SX comes with a flat 50mm long stem on the M and L frame sizes, same as my E+2. The stock bars have a 20mm rise, 35mm clamp diameter - 'fat bars'.

Relying on @PDoz recommendation I opted for a 40mm riser bar in 31.8 clamp diameter, and swapped out the stem for one I had on hand that was 70mm long with a 8* rise. This got my bars up to a comfortable height for me and my creaky back, but now I see it slowed handling down a bit after riding the other bike. The longer reach also exacerbated the rather long reach with the size L frame - I'm right on the cusp for M or L, went with the latter.

So to quicken things up a little, getting back closer to stock, I was looking for a 50mm length stem for my bars, with or without any angle/rise. Alternatively I could go back to my stock stem and order out a set of 'fat bars' with more rise - RaceFace and Renthal both have them, but they cost considerably more than a stem.

I was advised that I would not notice any difference in strength and rigidity with the 31.8 vs 35mm bars, and sure enough, especially for a casual trailrider. No flying jumps for this old man. The smaller components cost less as a bonus.

I found a couple of suitable options, RaceFace has a nice selection of stems, as does BW, Giant has some good options too, and there's Truvativ and a couple of others that don't break the bank. Low and behold I spied what appeared to be what I was looking for on one of our other bikes. Yep, 55mm with what appears to be a 8-10* rise (usually they are marked, this one is not) on a Specialized pedal bike, so I swapped them out. Turns out to be just what the doctor ordered. Free is good!! ;)

55mm stem:

70mm stem:

Last edited:
Back