Ecotric on Amazon

I hope you will like the bike. I bought their 20" fatbike for $779 a week ago Friday. It arrived 5 days later on Wednesday, shipped out of Mobile, AL, which must be the POE (port of entry).

I am anxious to see how it runs, but have not unboxed it yet, as Ecotric put a black bike in a box that was marked white. What I can see though looks well made. I have a request to E-GO LLC to exchange for a white one.

I hope you will like the bike. I bought their 20" fatbike for $779 a week ago Friday. It arrived 5 days later on Wednesday, shipped out of Mobile, AL, which must be the POE (port of entry).

I am anxious to see how it runs, but have not unboxed it yet, as Ecotric put a black bike in a box that was marked white. What I can see though looks well made. I have a request to E-GO LLC to exchange for a white one.
Alabama and Hayward CA. I live in Arizona so I should get In a week or less.

I would be a little leery of buying anything from E-Go LLC. Their facebook page was last updated in 2015.

https://www.facebook.com/egobikeusa/
So I shouldn't order from Ego- Bike LLC just because they haven't updated Facebook ?! You gotta be joking. I ordered the Ecotric Fat Tire last Friday, it was shipped on Monday and I received it yesterday. I'm in the process of assembly now. The only video I've seen is by North Shore Scout on YouTube. Besides the missing what I call security washers on the front axle ( not used anymore according to Ego-Bikes) and the tool pouch with patches, a low budget multi tool, and tire irons ( I bought motorcycle tire irons before the bike arrived), the only problem I've had is getting the Mr Tuffy to stay in place. Putting some air in the tube as recommended on the packaging doesn't work, the Mr Tuffy liners slides all over the place. I put 6oz of Stan's in each tube, and plan on buying some better tires when I can afford it. I sent two emails thru Amazon to Ego-Bikes and they responded in less than 24 hrs. They also have a few assembly videos on YouTube.

Curious if anyone has had experience with the Ecotric model for the folding Fat tire e-bike. I feel like I have done my due diligence and see alot of good reviews so far for this particular brand however the price difference makes me wonder just a bit about the quality of parts. The main website describes the material as being alloy not steel which I believe is preferred. My question is regarding the differences between the 500W on the Ecotric bike versus the 750W on the other e-bike brands which are double the price. I am not sure what the advantages are for spending 2x more for the 750W. I plan to buy a couple of these bikes to bring with us when we RV as an alternative means of transport when we don't want to bring a separate car with us. We plan to use them for moderate commutes to nearby towns. I presume 500W is still a good option for making it up hills (not mountain biking trails). Hoping to find some unbiased feedback from experienced e-bike users. Thanks!

I've got the Ecotric Folder in my hallway. I received the wrong color, so until that is resolved, I cannot unbox it. Ego-LLC responded on the same day I informed them about the color. I've just sent some photos to him. The bike arrived in good shape, although the seatpost tried to get out. Everything looks good w/o digging much further than this photo.
seat.jpg color_1.jpg

This is a lot bigger bike than I expected. Probably not that much smaller than my 26" fatbike. That's probably good, if you want to use this as a fatbike. Unlike my skinny 20" folder tires which are 20" high, this fatbike tires are about 24" high.

The components look good. It does have Tektro disks. Chaoyang tires, Wuxi's best rubber (just kidding ---never heard of these). I have not unwrapped the handlebar but it is alloy, as is the frame and seatpost. However, the front forks are steel, and so are the rims, which adds to the 50+ pounds. If you have two of them, a sturdy platform carrier will be needed, one that can hold 120 pounds.

All in all, a lot of ebike for $779. I've seen enough ebikes and am not worried about it performing as advertised. I'll know more by end of month,

You get what you pay for. They will answer questions when it doesn't cost them money to send you a part. Most reviews seem positive, You will likely need your bike skills to set up the bike after it arrives with holes in the packing box. That's not Ecotric's fault. It's the shipping companies

Since they don't proudly say alloy, it's probably all steel, even the crank arms, bars, and stem. Probably cheap/heavy tires too. If you care about rolling weight and better acceleration, you can buy lighter tubes/tires. You'll probably need to upgrade to quality calipers some day, but at least it has disks. That is one trap of going cheap. If you know you want the goodies, you end up paying for them. We all know what a clunky bike feels like. It's probably near that spectrum, and maybe you can tune in the shifters/brakes to feel good, You will probably need to develop wheel trueing skills, but if high school mechanics in shops can do it, so can you.

The Dolphin battery is easily sourced as a third party part. If you ever blow up the electronics, a display and controller is around $100. A motor will be around $200-250. You know how to solder. I think the bike would be fine for a handy person who knows electrics and bikes. Not good if you want hand held service. With that view, any bike is good. LOL. That cannot be true.

As for 48V, I have what appears to be the same display in my parts bin. It's multi voltage compatible. You would have to look inside the controller to check the voltage ratings on the electrolytic capacitors. They come in either 50V or 63V working range. That will tell whether you can risk overvolting. My fatbike conversion was originally 36V and had a 36V only 500W controller. I upgraded to a 36/48V controller with 2x the power, and there's a 52V battery on it. Just for fun. I don't use the power.
Well, I've had the Ecotric for a couple of weeks. The derailluer is a Shimano Tourney, so low budget Shimano doesn't offer a group. The cassette is 14-28. I'm considering replacing both with an older Deore derailleur and a 13-34 cassette currently on an older Trek 420.

Great. I assume it runs fine. Does it meet your needs, Randroid?

As mentioned earlier, I made an impulse buy on the 20" fatbike, I'll probably give it to my son. He's a big guy and this bike should work for him, and he needs the exercise.

The seller resolved a small issue of sending the wrong color and I think he did fine by me, so now I can finish unpacking the bike. It's a 36V bike. I've verified that the controller powers up and the motor works, but haven't tried it under load.

I uncovered the controller which is 19A. That would make this 700W peak. It sure looks like it's 36V only, and I am familiar with the LED display which is also 36V only. I have the controller/display parts to ugrade to 48v, but not having the battery, there's no need. I even see a white speed restrictor jumper coming out of the controller, not that this bike will be fast on 36V.

Great. I assume it runs fine. Does it meet your needs, Randroid?

As mentioned earlier, I made an impulse buy on the 20" fatbike, I'll probably give it to my son. He's a big guy and this bike should work for him, and he needs the exercise.

The seller resolved a small issue of sending the wrong color and I think he did fine by me, so now I can finish unpacking the bike. It's a 36V bike. I've verified that the controller powers up and the motor works, but haven't tried it under load.

I uncovered the controller which is 19A. That would make this 700W peak. It sure looks like it's 36V only, and I am familiar with the LED display which is also 36V only. I have the controller/display parts to ugrade to 48v, but not having the battery, there's no need. I even see a white speed restrictor jumper coming out of the controller, not that this bike will be fast on 36V.
Yes, it meets my needs. Only have about 5 miles on it, just running errands. When it warms up am going to give it a good workout. The only odd thing is when it's on the kickstand and I tip it towards me and put it in walk mode, the motor makes a whining sound. Not very loud, but obvious. Don't know if I'll need a longer chain as the distance from the BB to the rear axle is about 4 inches longer on the Ecotric than on the Trek 420.

Oh you don't need to buy a trueing jig. I've turned my bikes upside down and used masking tape stretched across the as a reference. I did have to take the tires off. On an ebike you need some padding under the handlebars so you don't scratch the plastic display and other plastic bits.

Wasn't trying to be wise guy. Just trying to be fair to the bigger spenders. I don't spend much if I don't need to. Here's one I built last year. I found this bike sitting out with the neighbor's trash. Two flat tires and no seat. Took care of that and here it is with a $170 motor kit and a pair of close-out 36V scooter batteries (75 bucks). 20 mph max on 36V, At 15 mph, I'm confident I could go 25 miles.

View attachment 29928

And a few months later, I took off the steel suspension fork and put on an alloy fork that could handle a disk brake. Then I rattle canned the frame black.

View attachment 29929
Looking back at older be posts I see where I called you a "wise guy". My error. I'm a wise guy, a character trait I've had all my life. A few find it amusing, most don't. I stand corrected.

Im looking at this bike as entry level to learn by doing without a "kit" situation which would be prob more anyway and have a few questions.
1. Are the rims tubeless ready? If not could i make them that way i have seen video on changing to tubeless with the tape and etc so im not sure what "tubeless ready " really means
2. Can the battery be changed to 48 and if so would it require a controller change also ? I saw with the bigger fat tire the display option gives u ability to increase speed capability so im not sure if thats just a digital trick or your speed is actually increasing. Also if you disconnect the speed controller on the large fat what will that do as opposed to just changing the settings?
Thx for any input.

I don't know about "tubeless ready". I thought about trying to increase the speed, but after someone said I may be happy with it the way it is I took the suggestion to heart and I am. The bike has about 750 miles on it now and the only issue I've had is a flat on the rear tire, not the fault if the bike. I replaced the tubes with ones having a removable core and put 6 oz of Stand No Tubes in them. I replaced the low budget Tourney derailleur with a Shimano Deore. Also swapped the freewheel for a 13-34. I ride mainly on the street and an occasional short ride in the desert. If you remove the rear wheel be sure to remember how the spacers go in. I bought a Fourth Hand to deal with the brake cables stretching. I replaced the saddle with one more comfortable, that is, narrower. Also replaced the seat post with one you can actually adjust. During my research before buying the bike I observed that many more expensive bikes had some of the same components as the Ecotric, e.g. handgrips, display, Tourney derailleur. The Ecotric Fat Tire Beach and Snow may be one of or the best " budget" bikes on the market. I treat mine easily I.e. no curb jumping, no fast riding in the woods or desert. I am satisfied.

Whatdo u mean by removing tubes for ones with no core? Like the tires themselves and just add slime and etc or like in different tubes?

Whatdo u mean by removing tubes for ones with no core? Like the tires themselves and just add slime and etc or like in different tubes?
To put Slime or Stans in the tubes the valve cores must be removed. The tubes that come with the bike don't have removable cores. You need the little tool to remove the cores. I bought two 26X4 tubes with removable cores from Amazon. About $20. I also bought a 32 oz container of Stans from Amazon. I've never used Slime, though some folks prefer it. You'll need some way to inject the sealant into the tubes. I bought a 2oz bottle of Stans at a bike shop and filled it from the 32 oz container. I put 6 oz in each tube and recently topped it up after 6months. Of course the tubes must have no air in them to put the sealant in. Hope that explains the procedure.

To put Slime or Stans in the tubes the valve cores must be removed. The tubes that come with the bike don't have removable cores. You need the little tool to remove the cores. I bought two 26X4 tubes with removable cores from Amazon. About $20. I also bought a 32 oz container of Stans from Amazon. I've never used Slime, though some folks prefer it. You'll need some way to inject the sealant into the tubes. I bought a 2oz bottle of Stans at a bike shop and filled it from the 32 oz container. I put 6 oz in each tube and recently topped it up after 6months. Of course the tubes must have no air in them to put the sealant in. Hope that explains the procedure.
Yes thanks. I just wasnt aware there was no air in the tire with sealant i assumed the sealant was in addition to the air much like fix a flat...theres still air in ur tires technically....but u cant ride on fix a flat long ....not sure what this stans is or does lol.

Personally I think any ebike under $1,000 is suspect and believe you would have been disappointed had you not cancelled your order. Hope you find something else within your budget.
You sir are very wrong. I actually purchased two of the ecotric fatbikes for myself and girlfriend. They are excellent bikes and very much on par with the radrover and volt e fat bikes. I built mine I to a commuter and now have over 2000 miles on it without any issues with either bike. Truthfully most of these bikes are the same for the most parts as there are very few companies that actually make the controllers, batteries, and motors. They are all just attached to different frames and branded different. As someone else stated, get what you pay for is an excuse companies use to shaft people out of money. I was really close to buying the rad rover, and I'm glad I didn't. My buddy has a rad and always tells me he would have bought the bike I have instead, but decided against it because he was suspicious because on the price. This is what mine looks like now https://photos.app.goo.gl/qMBa5kK13HBQmDdr7

You sir are very wrong. I actually purchased two of the ecotric fatbikes for myself and girlfriend. They are excellent bikes and very much on par with the radrover and volt e fat bikes.
They may well be on par with Volt and Rad, but frankly, they will never be quality bikes. Good land, not unlike that first sub $1000 Kickstarter crap, Sondors that buyers spent hundreds of dollars upgrading to be reasonable rides. Sure everything works, but when I see a complete bike that costs less than a quality kit I have to be suspicious. 18650 cells that are rated for performance in eBikes are expensive. The only way to build a cheap battery pack is with cheap batteries, substandard BMS, and mediocre craftsmanship. I have a FatBike in that price range and to say it's a quality bike is just trying to make oneself feel better about what will likely be an eventual disappointment. I sold many kits to riders who swear by the quality of their Walmart fat bikes the same ones that most GOOD LBS refuse to even work on.

I'm all for finding a great deal, but at this pricepoint, corners have to be cut. These are the Yugo's of eBikes.

I'm certain there are buyers that will be happy. And I imagine if I didn't use my eBikes every day I could have been happy on even a Sondors first release. But once I discovered what a difference quality, real quality can make I'm spoiled. During those exciting first months of Sondors fulfillments, Luna and others sold hundreds of thousands of dollars in upgrades.

I wish all buyers of these budget bikes all the best. eBikes are fun. I just hate reading the posts extolling the quality when no real comparisons are available.

They may well be on par with Volt and Rad, but frankly, they will never be quality bikes. Good land, not unlike that first sub $1000 Kickstarter crap, Sondors that buyers spent hundreds of dollars upgrading to be reasonable rides. Sure everything works, but when I see a complete bike that costs less than a quality kit I have to be suspicious. 18650 cells that are rated for performance in eBikes are expensive. The only way to build a cheap battery pack is with cheap batteries, substandard BMS, and mediocre craftsmanship. I have a FatBike in that price range and to say it's a quality bike is just trying to make oneself feel better about what will likely be an eventual disappointment. I sold many kits to riders who swear by the quality of their Walmart fat bikes the same ones that most GOOD LBS refuse to even work on.

I'm all for finding a great deal, but at this pricepoint, corners have to be cut. These are the Yugo's of eBikes.

I'm certain there are buyers that will be happy. And I imagine if I didn't use my eBikes every day I could have been happy on even a Sondors first release. But once I discovered what a difference quality, real quality can make I'm spoiled. During those exciting first months of Sondors fulfillments, Luna and others sold hundreds of thousands of dollars in upgrades.

I wish all buyers of these budget bikes all the best. eBikes are fun. I just hate reading the posts extolling the quality when no real comparisons are available.
You must not have actually read the post SMH...spend your money how you choose and I shall do the same.

By the way I agree about sondors. I can speak from experience with the rad, the sondors, and the ecotric that I have.

Back