Ebike newb, Tall w/ chronic back problems & ancient ebike repair!

You have a quill stem. You will need to measure the diameter of the handlebars at the clamp to know the clamp size. The best way to measure that is with calipers. Look for riser quill stems. 5" is a lot. you may need to do a combination of replacing the stem and the handlebars. The Jones SG 2.5 Loop Bar has a 2.5" rise. It is also likely you will have to replace the brake and shifter cables with longer cables.
Yikes sounds like a lot of work, I didn't think of the cables needing to be longer but your right. Might have to just live with it awhile

Maybe what you need is a swept back bar that will give you a more neutral hand position. Rivendell sells expensive Nitto bars, but you can get an idea of the different styles of bars available from their website. You already have experience with adjusting the derailleur and brakes, so replacing the cables and cable housing won't be too hard for you.

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/handlebars

You are right, I am very capable and I have extra cables I would just need the housings, so no big deal. The only reason I am hesitant is because of the overheating problem and I don't want to put too much time into it if it is going to die soon. I love the bike a lot, I am learning what features I will need in my next bike I think.

Today I'm having the pain in the left hand again so if I will continue using it I should probably changed something

I don't think it is going to die soon. If it has a temperature sensor, it is shutting down before the heat damages the motor. If the motor overheats, it will melt the windings and short the motor. If you are concerned, you can walk it up the last hill. This bike is a learning experience and not a waste of time. It will also be a backup bike after you buy your next one.

Yes I agree, it's a learning experience and I do want to keep it alive as a backup and more so as my go to store or around town bike. I should change the handlebars to make it more comfortable. So would going with a swept back style allow me not to need to raise it so high maybe?

Yes, bringing your hands closer to your body with swept back handlebars would allow you to ride more upright without having the handlebars as high. The sweep will also put your wrists at a more natural angle and may help your wrist pain.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the Jones SG 2.5 on my bike and like it a lot. You can get it in silver or black. The loop may interfere with your front bag though. The Nitto Albatross bars have a rise and sweep also.

nitto_albatrossalloy__77815.1297727927.jpg

Pay attention to the clamp diameter. The Jones bars have a 31.8mm clamp diameter. Most quill stems have a 25.4mm clamp diameter, but you can buy quill stems with a 31.8mm clamp.

Calipers are cheap and good to have around. These are $10. You can get a close enough measurement with your tape measure. 25mm is about an inch and 31.8mm is about 1.25 inches.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Caliper-Adoric-Calipers-Measuring/dp/B07DFFYCXS

If you need to replace the cable housing, you will need a tool to make a clean cut without pinching the housing. I use the Felco C7 cable cutters, but some people use a dremel. Since cables and cable housing are a wear and tear item, you will eventually need this tool anyway.

Hello all, i am new to the forums and also new to e-bikes, i am 39 years old, 6 foot 3 with a 36" inseam with CHRONIC lower back problems along with neck problems, looking for a semi regular e-bike to use to commute to work when im healthy.

Also, my boss has an old E-bike, a 2004 AeroVironment Charger that we are trying to get up and working. He has had it for awhile and there are a few things we need to get fixed but maybe that could be easy.

The first thing i wanted to do on these forums was to ask what kind of ebike i would actually need. I am gathering up all the info in order to make a new thread, my biggest questions are regarding if i should even do this with my chronic lower back problem. I am very athletic and used to bike a lot up until late teen's before my car, but i have multiple herniated discs for over 10 years due to being a professional photographer and carrying heavy camera gear, i have quit doing that job and i am having less back problems and i really want to get back into riding because my work is right next to an amazing bike path in Northern Virginia, the W&OD trail which i live 1.5 miles from.

Anyways just a brief introduction and i look forward to getting on an e-bike ASAP.
Welcome from another newbie. I enjoy my Sondors SX very much. It has a very large frame and is adaptable to fit most everyone but shorter folks. Take a good look at them. A most desirable machine with low cost.

hey guys thanks for the replies! I checked out the video on Dutch Bikes, i'm sold! I am basically a dutch person, blond, tall and love the outdoors! That is exactly the bike i want. The biggest issue i have with my current Bike, the Charger, is that it IS sometimes hard to get my leg over the bike to get ontop of it. The charger has a slightly downard top bar but nothing like the Dutch Bikes. Those Omafiets look amazing too, i love the black ones you posted with the weird shaped bar going down from the handle bars.. that is so unique looking i love it. And i just love the step through feature, i wouldn't care if people thought i was riding a women's bike. I am 100% behind a bike that is made for function of traveling and getting around easily and comfortably compared to speed!

I have no sentimental value with the Charger. When i told my boss i wanted to get an electric bike, he just happened to have it sitting in his basement unused and he let me use it because i am having car problems (he is also letting me use one of his cars so i can get to the office easily, we are semi-partners in business.)

We agreed that if the Charger works out i could buy it, or just use it as i need it. I told him recently that i knew i needed a new bike and that the Charger would be the "backup" or he could use it as he wanted once i get my new bike. And as far as buying a used Dutch Bike and putting in a motor and battery, i am all for that also! I was honestly hoping for a reply like that when i first came here. I have spent a lot of money on various bike tools trying to get this Charger bike up and running and also my old teenage years Mountain Bike, so i am loving working with and riding bikes. Since i am so tall and have 36" inseam i know finding a good bike could be hard, and modifying an e-bike seems like a very reasonable thing to save money because i am so tall and need the extra power and size of the bike.

The great thing about having the Charger bike for the last month, is seeing what i actually need in an electric bike. I have road over 20 trips averaging over 10 miles, and the 1.5 miles to get to the major bike path is EXTREMELY hilly and without the battery i have to walk the bike up parts of the Hill. I want to make sure that my future bike can make it up the hill everytime with little effort from me. I also want to still be able to exercise, my daily commute will be 8 to 9 miles and i honestly want to do it a majority of the time i go to work.
When a kid says, "Hey boomer! How come ya riding a girl's bike?" you can holler back, "This ain't no girl's bike, kid. It's a STEP THROUGH!" Mine is an Ariel Rider C class, and I'm very fond of it. At almost 84, I was struggling to get my leg over the rear fender, let alone when I had goceries back there. I use folding baskets, which together with strategic bungees, hold big sacks of groceries very securely.

Last edited:
Ride what you wish is my attitude. I got over silly childish things in my youth but marvel at folks who live by their silly bones. I ride a SX Sondors set up to fit me perfectly except for mounting it. It is one tall machine that I have had to adapt to. Once in the saddle it is like someone designed it to fit me. Amazon accessories for the most part.
IMG_20200320_115955123.jpg

I went with a step-through model as well, also Arial Rider! I got the Rideal and love it, i highly recommend them. If i could find a dutch style bike easily i would buy one and modify it as my 3rd e-bike most likely. I really love the shape of the frame on the dutch mom bikes.

Rideal-Deer.jpg

I am going to go with these following bars for the Rideal. Does anyone know how i would go about rising the bars? I can't figure out how to get the bars higher with this type of stem, seems like when i loosen the 4 bolts and take off the handlebar, i can't lift up the stem to make it higher, it just moves left and right. How would i go about raising it up a few inches?

rideal-handlebars.jpg

I am going to go with these following bars for the Rideal. Does anyone know how i would go about rising the bars? I can't figure out how to get the bars higher with this type of stem, seems like when i loosen the 4 bolts and take off the handlebar, i can't lift up the stem to make it higher, it just moves left and right. How would i go about raising it up a few inches?

View attachment 95773

An adjustable/riser stem should do it.

Something like this https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-adjustable-road-stem

Thanks i will probably try one of those out. Will probably get a 110mmm and just seeing if 90 degree would be better over just a 60 degree.

You need a stem riser available most anywhere. I bought my three on Amazon. You need the exact stem dia. to order them. As to bars I went with one that rises and angles back the hand grips. Amazon as well.

Back