Ebike bumper stickers

Jeremy McCreary

Region
USA
City
Carlsbad, CA
If you could put a bumper sticker on your ebike, what would it say?

Let's keep it clean and respectful of drivers and pedestrians. Safer not to tempt them.

The idea came to me when @Rexlion offered these bumper sticker-worthy words of wisdom in another thread:

When life gives you lemons... go for a bike ride!

Still thinking of my own sticker.

I was once told that cars with bumper stickers get in more accidents. Clearly it is not the cause, merely a correlation. The explanation is the drivers who have bumper stickers have something to prove. And that driving while having something to prove (a chip on the shoulder) is hazardous. My bikes get one postage stamp sized sticker of a llama. He is smiling with contentment and has saffron robes, like that other lama guy. It is the PedalUma pet-a-llama, from Petaluma. Peta is a very large number. Luma is light. But it really means 'The Place Between,' from the language of Miwok native coastal Californians. We are between the coast and Bay and plains. Not too hot, not too cold, Goldilocks. I nominate: The Place Between. It is more of a mental state. That also happens to be where John Candy's hand was in Trains Planes and Automobiles. Between two pillows - Steve Martin's. I feel for all those stranded Christmas. Eat Pie, is also good. Who could debate that?

Attachments

• EatPie1.JPG
    EatPie1.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 90
  • PedalumaStickers.JPG
    PedalumaStickers.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 91
I was once told that cars with bumper stickers get in more accidents. Clearly it is not the cause, merely a correlation. The explanation is the drivers who have bumper stickers have something to prove. And that driving while having something to prove (a chip on the shoulder) is hazardous. My bikes get one postage stamp sized sticker of a llama. He is smiling with contentment and has saffron robes, like that other lama guy. It is the PedalUma pet-a-llama, from Petaluma. Peta is a very large number. Luma is light. But it really means 'The Place Between,' from the language of Miwok native coastal Californians. We are between the coast and Bay and plains. Not too hot, not too cold, Goldilocks. I nominate: The Place Between. It is more of a mental state. That also happens to be where John Candy's hand was in Trains Planes and Automobiles. Between two pillows - Steve Martin's. I feel for all those stranded Christmas. Eat Pie, is also good. Who could debate that?
LSD disguised as postage stamps come with the catchy saying "Take a lick, take a trip!", so if I licked a PedalUma sticker, that happens to be the size of a postage stamp, what would happen........

But I would seriously rock a PeadlUma sticker on my ebike. Only the cool kids would know what it meant.

I have some WORLDSUCKS bumper stickers from the greatest band outta New Jersey (Look 'em up!) that I might put on my down tube.

I like "The Place Between". People would have fun wondering what it means.

I was once told that cars with bumper stickers get in more accidents. Clearly it is not the cause, merely a correlation. The explanation is the drivers who have bumper stickers have something to prove. And that driving while having something to prove (a chip on the shoulder) is hazardous.
Agree, lots of folks choose to weaponize bumper stickers. They'll come back as worms.

Meanwhile, why let them take over the medium? Lots of stickers around with jokes, pithy sayings, and positive messages. Stick to that kind of content, and I doubt you'd draw any extra fire -- even on a bike.

On a side note, anyone seeing less bumper stickers these days?

Growing up a number of decades ago they were almost ubiquitous, often just advertising a local radio station or sports team. These days I rarely see them at all, and usually only to signal some tribal identity (eco warrior, cowboy, or bogan pride) or on some provisional drivers car making some obscene devil-may-care statement (kids.. what are they like..).

Is that the case in other people's countries?

As she parked my mom would say Bumpers Are For Bumping. As she bashed the car behind and in front. The same when getting out of a tight spot. Yes, less bumper stickers, unless you are rolling coal.

As she parked my mom would say Bumpers Are For Bumping. As she bashed the car behind and in front. The same when getting out of a tight spot. Yes, less bumper stickers, unless you are rolling coal.

Bumpers used to be for bumping. Today not so much. Ever play bumper tag with your friends at stop lights?

Bumpers used to be for bumping. Today not so much. Ever play bumper tag with your friends at stop lights?
I used to on an old truck I had. My front bumper was a 6 foot piece of railroad track.

On a side note, anyone seeing less bumper stickers these days?

Growing up a number of decades ago they were almost ubiquitous, often just advertising a local radio station or sports team. These days I rarely see them at all, and usually only to signal some tribal identity (eco warrior, cowboy, or bogan pride) or on some provisional drivers car making some obscene devil-may-care statement (kids.. what are they like..).
I grew up 6 decades ago, and I agree, they were more common way back then, when bumpers were chromed steel, not painted plastic, and there was little risk in removing them. But I'm not prepared to say that they've become rare. Will have to look again.

Only car I see on a regular basis nowadays with actual chrome bumpers, with the little black rubber strips down the middle, is a 80's Dodge Omni. And I only notice it because that was my first car. A older lady with crazy colored hair drives it.

Have you ever noticed with a new car, that if you even brush these plastic cover things the bumper "cover" comes off, usually with the license plate still on it. My wife longs for the old style real bumper car days. I refuse to drive anything 90's and below. Last old car I had was a 64 Impala station wagon. I don't miss it one bit.

I did eye up a Dodge Omni Shelby GLHS on Bring A Trailer but that site lists 80% junk, 10% projects worth the time and the last 10% is concourse "Don't dare drive." items. The Omni fell under the junk category. I just hate working on old cars, it was never a hobby for me.

Have you ever noticed with a new car, that if you even brush these plastic cover things the bumper "cover" comes off, usually with the license plate still on it.
The theory, at least, is that the newer bumpers absorb the energy of the impact and cause less damage to the people inside the cars. Yes, the bumpers are expensive to repair but almost certainly less expensive than repairing the humans inside the car.

While this theory sounds plausible, I do not know if it is really effective in practice. It might be and you could make some statistical arguments based on the decline in auto accidents with serious injuries per mile driven. The confounding factor is that newer cars almost certainly have better brakes, better tires, and other things that also may be contributing.

The old Volvos had 7mm thick aluminum bumpers with a 70mm wide rubber strip. They were suspended by shock absorbers that when bumped would compress. You could then just manually pull it back out. No body shop required. These would often have something such as an ERA sticker in the states where Volvos were popular in the late '70's.
1672510977338.jpeg
1672511004538.png

Back