E-Bike hatred is out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen any negativity. Perhaps I am just oblivious. On the contrary, I have encountered plenty of, "That's electric ? Cool! How do you like it?"
very little negativity out here, maybe two snarky comments in the last couple years. i wonder how many of the people who experience such negativity are behaving in a way that, shall we say, encourages it?

very little negativity out here, maybe two snarky comments in the last couple years. i wonder how many of the people who experience such negativity are behaving in a way that, shall we say, encourages it?
I think I've heard "cheater" twice in the past couple of years and both times it was when passing a struggling cycler going up hill. Once in a similar pass the other guy laughed and said: You make it look so easy.

I think the world is changing. Only two years ago I heard the "Cheater!" from a young roadie. Now in 2022, cyclists in my country started accepting e-bikes. All popular mountain destinations are full of e-bikes (typically rented ones). Several gravel cyclists I ride with have already demo ridden e-bikes, e.g., the Creo. Nowadays, traditional cyclists are curious of e-bikes, and ask questions. Gravel cycling clubs admit me on their rides with no aversion. And a friend of mine, a gravel cyclist, borrowed my Vado SL for a week to learn more about good e-bikes. I feel his regret! He cannot buy an e-bike even if he would like to because his pals would still laugh at him... as he is "too young for an e-bike"!

I had a guy on a lectric type bike using only the throttle. I passed him going about 26 in tour and about 10 seconds later I had to slow a little big because a jogger was going to cross before looking and there was a small island to go around. he called me a dick for slowing down then passed me. so I passed him back and left him in the dust. noticed my heart rate was 162 I love passing people who use a throttle or ghost peddle.

Funny you mention kayakers. I've been a whitewater kayaker and raft guide for many years and kayakers in general REALLY snub whitewater rafters. It's "cheating" to go downriver in a huge, stable inflatable raft. LOL
Hey, DDBB! For your information: there is no whitewater kayaking in Poland. Slowly flowing regular rivers. No skill required.

Funny you mention kayakers. I've been a whitewater kayaker and raft guide for many years and kayakers in general REALLY snub whitewater rafters. It's "cheating" to go downriver in a huge, stable inflatable raft. LOL
About 15 years ago I went on a trip, first time on class IV and V, the Cheat River, in W.VA. We had a guide, I was out front with the guide oppisite and the first serious whitewater we hit the guide went off the front of the raft. He held on and I pulled him back in. I learned quick this was a serious trip. It was the Cheat, but no cheating that day😉

Considering all the hatred that even shows up on here, it's not a surprise is it? For two days in a row I've had pickup drivers honk at me in hatred. One for crossing in the crosswalk on a green light, but he was pissed because he could turn right on red. Today it was another pickup when honked at me because I had to ride around islands around the traffic lights and he was pissed because I was in his lane a little instead of bunny hoping up on the island and off to stay in the crosswalk. Lots of anger in any direction these days!

About 15 years ago I went on a trip, first time on class IV and V, the Cheat River, in W.VA. We had a guide, I was out front with the guide oppisite and the first serious whitewater we hit the guide went off the front of the raft. He held on and I pulled him back in. I learned quick this was a serious trip. It was the Cheat, but no cheating that day😉
Next time try the Gauley. You won't be disappointed

so here is the video. Nothing gets me revving like a tough hill or someone that is using throttle or ghost peddling. I passed him then I saw a jogger glance back so I slowed a bit to make sure she did not run out as the street narrowed and he called a dick for slowing and passed me. so if course I passed him again cause I bet he had the thumb to the metal. the overlay speed and heart rate are way out of sync I noticed. I was doing 24 to 26 passing him and my heart rate peaked at 170bmp man I think that was a first for me.
IMG_0623.jpg

I am sure some of the reason for hate is on ebikers that are trying to show off by passing pedal bikers and even other ebikers and not observing the rules of the road or common sense.

Just like motorcycles the regular trucks and cars just don't seem to see us and I have had several people pull out right in front of me after rolling through a stop sign and one car went around me and damn near clipped me pulling back in to the lane. I noticed that one had a handicap plate so I wrote it off to that and not intentional.

Another thing I highly recommend is turn signals at least for the back so you don't have to use hand signals and take a hand off the bars and especially at night you will be a lot more visible and people understand turn signals that may not have a clue what a hand signal is.

We have lots of tankers here in the oil patch and I am always on watch for them as they rarely drive the speed limit and if I am coming up to one of the hills I ride with a steep grade and twists and one of those is behind me I will slow down and let them get on around me because there is no bike lane and barely a shoulder.

I got great mirrors that lets me see way behind me and I am always checking for traffic that might be speeding, playing with their phones or drunk so I can get over and slow down if needed to get off the road. We also have escaped cattle, dogs and deer to contend with.

I rode motorcycles most of my life and have never laid down a bike because I ride like a danger is around every corner and now I do the same when riding an ebike and doing that makes you safer and probably have less negative interactions with other people

When I come up on pedal bikers I am courteous and don't go blazing past them and will usually say some greeting. If it is a fellow ebiker I may ride along side for a few seconds and exchange greetings and a thumbs up for their ebike and then go at my speed which is usually faster.

I did have a funny experience and come up on an ATV and I could tell he had it wrapped out and was doing about 30 so I pulled up next to him and asked if he wanted a race. He smiled and said no and we both laughed. Good guy and one of my neighbors

Be friendly to people even when they aren't and they may just be having a bad day and taking it out on you.

Water off a ducks back!

Last edited:
Pretty sure my motorcycle can stop in much shorter distance than any car or truck. Just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back