E-Bike hatred is out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 67 years old, been riding for ~61 years. Although i now ride more on MUP, I have thounds of miles on city streets, country gravel roads, paved 2 lane roads, and a few hundred on 4 lane roads. Most of my riding has been in NY, IL, and IA.

I have never experienced "hatred" towards me or anyone I ride with.

If someone is expressing hatred toward you, may I suggest you might be riding like a dick/douch/a-hole. You may be within your rights, but that doesn’t make it right!

Like I said, I have not experienced a hater when I am riding but there are sure a few haters on EBR.

Just look through the comments on this post or in the forum especially on new members threads.

They are hating on ebikes that have a throttle, goes faster than 20mph, big motor, looks like a motorcycle, has a hub motor, made in China, wrong style, or you don't ride the way they do.

It is ridiculous and immature and not what I expected to see on an ebike forum.

Go ahead and troll this comment haters.

Water off a ducks back!

I agree. The only ones that I have a problem with are those that make it worse for the rest of us by putting their wants above the good of all. Basically, if someone is a bad representative of an activity, they are doing harm to the activity, (this is a general statement and not a personal dig at anyone).

I can see how avid bikers who cycle 30-50 miles daily . Would resent Ebikes . Especially those with throttles . In the same respect I don't think it's the electric bike they hate . It's the growth of novices riding . Same way with Golf . 10 years ago players like myself could play 18 holes with a 4 some . We'd average 3 to 4 hours time .
Today you have all these novices on the courses . It's not a problem they play terrible . It's that they don't abide by the rules of play . Especially the one of time constraints, or allowing play to keep moving . They don't repair greens etc . Sometimes it takes us 6 hours to play what used to take 4 hrs . Because people don't abide by rules .

It's the same way with E-bikers. The E-Bike has brought out a vast increase of people . Who either don't know or don't care about educate when riding . Sometime a group will block the whole path with no awareness then need to move over . Or some air head idiot with his throttled mo-peddler. Comes flying up behind you with no idea or concern to warn you he's there . This seems to be getting even worse since covid .

Granted there are some who just don't like E-bikes because Biking is their thing . And we E bikers come along and surpass them .

I've got my Vado setup to give me a work out . With a setting to help if the wind is extra that day . But I'm an exception . It's been 8 days since I last rode . I don't really ride for all my exercise . I have a rope hanging from a Tree, 20 plus feet from the ground. That leads to my kids old tree house . Climb that rope a couple times 3X a week and you don't need to get more of a workout then that . Unless you are training to be the next Arnold . At age 66 I'm not . ;)
And it only takes 20 minutes of time
Just saying

Last edited:
The only ebikes that really concern me are the DIY kits I see some people build on pedal bikes not designed for that high torque and speed.

Consumer Ebikes are generally designed for the stresses of higher torque and have stronger frame welding and bracing, torque arms, stronger chains and gear cassettes and hydraulic disk brakes.

I am not against custom builds but if you are going to put a high torque motor on a pedal bike or even an ebike not designed for that you better modify that bike to handle that torque stress and speed or it is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Of course you are.
No, I am not and I have been looking for a pedal bike chopper to use with a DIY kit but I will do the modifications to the bike for that conversion.

I want something like this:

e9019ab8ffd969920140ea0097664398.jpg

No, I am not and I have been looking for a pedal bike chopper to use with a DIY kit but I will do the modifications to the bike for that conversion.

I want something like this:

View attachment 133963

You are just baiting the trolls at this point, (or at least I hope that that is what you are doing). That thing would make your spine scream on every bump.

You are just baiting the trolls at this point, (or at least I hope that that is what you are doing). That thing would make your spine scream on every bump.
Not with the right seat with springs.

Water off a ducks back!

001474-lowbrow_customs_solo_seat_springs_-_barrel_style_-_2_inch_chrome-web2_2000x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any bicycle from a mainstream manufacturer, i.e. Trek, Townie, Specialized, Giant, Raleigh have to meet federal standards to sell in the US. They are typically over engineered for purpose. Ebikes and mini bikes imported by all the small sellers aren't made to any US specifications. I would trust a good kit on say a Trek built Townie before I would trust many of the no name or small name bikes/mini bikes.

Another Echopper:

I never really understood choppers. I rode a few, and it only made me understand them less. To each their own.

You generally took a fairly powerful motorcycle, Harley, Triumph or BSA and eliminated the rear suspension while altering the front end to the point that the bike was nearly unrideable. A once nimble and well performing motorcycle altered to the point of being nearly useless, and it cost plenty to make the changes. Brilliant!!!!

Last edited:
I never really understood choppers. I rode a few, and it only made me understand them less.

You generally took a fairly powerful motorcycle, Harley, Triumph or BSA and eliminated the rear suspension while altering the front end to the point that the bike was nearly unrideable. A once nimble and well performing motorcycle altered to the point of being nearly useless, and it cost plenty to make the chances. Brilliant!!!!
They are not for everyone and it takes more skill to ride but they really turn heads!

I prefer an enduro or cafe racer style or a good bobber.

No one takes a street bike and converts it to a chopper these days. All custom frames and engines.

Street bikes are a dime a dozen and don't impress me but to each their own!

Last edited:
They are not for everyone and it takes more skill to ride but they really turn heads!

I prefer an enduro or cafe racer style or a good bobber.

Street bikes are a dime a dozen and don't impress me but to each their own!

I guess that’s the difference. I rode for the love of riding, not to turn heads or impress anyone. I guess that ride-ability is secondary to turning heads and impressing for some. A toy chopper may turn some heads and elicit a few giggles, but unless it’s a 12 year old kid, I don’t think that many will be impressed.

I guess that’s the difference. I rode for the love of riding, not to turn heads or impress anyone. I guess that ride-ability is secondary to turning heads and impressing for some. A toy chopper may turn some heads and elicit a few giggles, but unless it’s a 12 year old kid, I don’t think that many will be impressed.
Now you just went from being an ebike hater to a chopper hater.

Good job!

Water off a ducks back, lol!

Jesse James Escooter:

Last edited:
At 67 years old, been riding for ~61 years. Although i now ride more on MUP, I have thounds of miles on city streets, country gravel roads, paved 2 lane roads, and a few hundred on 4 lane roads. Most of my riding has been in NY, IL, and IA.

I have never experienced "hatred" towards me or anyone I ride with.

If someone is expressing hatred toward you, may I suggest you might be riding like a dick/douch/a-hole. You may be within your rights, but that doesn’t make it right!
Wow! That's quite an assessment. There is you, riders that ride with you, and there are horrible people.

Now you just went from being an ebike hater to a chopper hater.

Good job!

Water off a ducks back, lol!

Jesse James Escooter:

I’ve never been an ebike hater. Choppers, I think they are the worst of motorcycles. I don’t hate them. I just think that they are not capable of being anything more than an example of how a motorcycle shouldn’t be, unless you think that a motorcycle is improved by making it more dangerous, more uncomfortable and nearly unridable.

many ppl misunderstand min wage. min wage for servers and other tipped employees is essentially the same or higher than the regular min wage because if tipped employees do not make enough in tips to cover the difference between the non-tipped mon wage and the tipped min wage then the employer has to make up the difference.

So for most servers snd other tipped employees they will usually average a real wage higher than the minimum and not a wage lower than the non-tipped minimum.

in MA those wages are currently:
$13.50 (going to $15.00 jan 2023) for non tipped employees

$5.55 (going up to $6.75 jan 2023) for tipped. if tips do not raise their avg income to $13.50/hr employer may cover diff.
Well, since we're off the rails....in Ireland you don't tip. Every time we tried it was discouraged by the server, and when we forced it on them they were almost apologetic. Go figure? They are paid a wage that covers tipping, or something like that. It was explained to me but I've forgotten how it works. Maybe someone on here from Ireland can pipe up and explain it?
Tipping is BS anyway. Some do, a lot don't and there's the in between. The restaurants pay crap wages using the excuse the tips make up the diff. CN

Well, since we're off the rails....in Ireland you don't tip. Every time we tried it was discouraged by the server, and when we forced it on them they were almost apologetic. Go figure? They are paid a wage that covers tipping, or something like that. It was explained to me but I've forgotten how it works. Maybe someone on here from Ireland can pipe up and explain it?
Tipping is BS anyway. Some do, a lot don't and there's the in between. The restaurants pay crap wages using the excuse the tips make up the diff. CN

It’s the same in a lot of Europe. The servers are paid a living wage, just as they should be.

It’s the same in a lot of Europe. The servers are paid a living wage, just as they should be.
Not in every country but UK, Ireland, Italy, and certainly more include "service fee" up to 15% to cover the waiters' wages. Italy even charges an unusual fee called "pane e coperto" (bread and tablecloth) even if you didn't touch the bread and the tablecloth could be made of disposable paper. (That's why you order coffee at the bar in Italy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back