E-bike for a newbie who doesn't want to DIY and has limited local options

Andrea Bozoki

I live in a medium-sized community (~200K people) but we seem to have relatively few options in terms of ebikes in the shops, mostly limited to higher-end, big brand name bikes (Trek; Giant; Specialized, Electra; Haibike). I would like to get a decent-quality bike for commuting (10 miles, partly uphill in each direction) and fun on local trails, for under $2000. The cheapest bikes with the features I want cost $2700+ locally.

If you knew nothing about bike repair/had always relied on bike shops to maintain and fix your bikes, would you order a bike online, or stick to whatever overpriced options were in your area? And if you say "stick to local shops," are there mainstream e-bikes that have a relatively good price point for their quality and reliability?

Wish List:
Torque-sensing rather than cadence-sensing
Front suspension and/or seat suspension for comfort over potholes/cracks/curbs
Range: at least 25 miles in high-assist mode
Power: 350W motor for hills
Battery that can be charged both on or off the bike
Frame fit for my body (I'm 5'2" and 125 pounds); hybrid riding posture
Easy riding when the bike is not using electrical assistance (not sure what this translates into: gearing? bike weight?)

Short list of bikes, based on above (NONE of which are sold in my area): E-Glide ST; e-Joe Epik SE; Juiced Bikes Cross Current; Surface 604 Rook. Other ideas welcome, based on the above.

I live in a medium-sized community (~200K people) but we seem to have relatively few options in terms of ebikes in the shops, mostly limited to higher-end, big brand name bikes (Trek; Giant; Specialized, Electra; Haibike). I would like to get a decent-quality bike for commuting (10 miles, partly uphill in each direction) and fun on local trails, for under $2000. The cheapest bikes with the features I want cost $2700+ locally.

If you knew nothing about bike repair/had always relied on bike shops to maintain and fix your bikes, would you order a bike online, or stick to whatever overpriced options were in your area? And if you say "stick to local shops," are there mainstream e-bikes that have a relatively good price point for their quality and reliability?

Wish List:
Front suspension and/or seat suspension for comfort over potholes/cracks/curbs
Range: at least 25 miles in high-assist mode
Power: 350W motor for hills
Battery that can be charged both on or off the bike
Frame fit for my body (I'm 5'2" and 125 pounds); hybrid riding posture
Easy riding when the bike is not using electrical assistance (not sure what this translates into: gearing? bike weight?)

Short list of bikes, based on above (NONE of which are sold in my area): E-Glide ST; e-Joe Epik SE; Juiced Bikes Cross Current; Surface 604 Rook. Other ideas welcome, based on the above.
The e-city from Smart Motion is a very good fit for you. Message me and I will tell you more about it and how to get it.

would you order a bike online, or stick to whatever overpriced options were in your area
I can understand the small market issues you have, I don't have an ebike shop anywhere near. The service aspect I do myself, or I likely wouldn't have purchased 2 ebikes. With your need for service, I don't think it prudent to buy any ebike long distance. They all need service, some more than others.

The way you worded the above question, it appears you've made up your mind, the quality brands you list are overpriced. There are bikes of those brands that are discounted. You could ask if the shops could get a 2016 model from the distributor. They will want to sell you something from their stock, it'll be up to you to convince them it's that sale, or no sale.

I've seen the following $2500 bike discounted to within your price range and there are plenty of dealers with it listed at a discount. It's available in a range of sizes and checks all your other wants and needs as well. Best part is you apparently have a Haibike dealer that can service the bike as needed. Another option is to wait until the 2017 models go on clearance late this year. Good luck in your search!

https://electricbikereview.com/haibike/sduro-hardseven-sm/

Wish List:

Power: 350W motor for hills.......

FYI:
Because the power is routed through the chain to the rear gears, a 250 watt mid-drive is much stronger on hills than a 350 watt geared hub. With a hub's limited internal gear reduction, you need to maintain a quick pace up hills to keep the motor from laboring too much. It has been stated at ES that 50% of a hub's top speed is its safe minimum speed to keep the motor from heating up. That would be 10 mph with a 20 mph system, and 10 mph on a steep hill is intense cardio. With a mid you can just gear down and dawdle along with very little effort at 4mph, if you want.

Some eBikes have smart systems with both torque and cadence sensing which gives a more natural feel to pedaling with assist.

Last edited:
Pretty sure your want list and price limit will not get you a bike. 25 miles on high assist takes a pretty big battery pack. Torque sensing is a higher end feature. I suggest you find some bikes locally and ride them without the assist. None of the ones I have ridden is easy without being at least in the economy setting. You'll get a spring front fork only lower end bikes. Not even close to being as comfortable as an air fork. I think we'd find a much higher ebike usage if your requirements were easy to find. A GREAT way to save money is wait until this fall. End of season sales can take 25-30% or more off the price. I bought a Haibike that listed for $4200, for $2680. I also bought another bike that had been used as a demo. It had 155 miles on it, and saved $2000 on it. Here's a link to demo bikes at the shop I buy at. https://crazylennysebikes.com/collections/demo?_=pf&pf_t_condition=demo

So I ended up driving 70 miles from my home town in order to go to a bike shop that had some of the independent e-bike brands that I have reading about on this site. They carry Haibike, Juiced, Surface, Pedego, Prodeco and a few others. After trying out a few, I put down my money on a Surface 604 Colt, in a small frame; just under my $2000 limit. I rode the medium-size one they had in the shop and really liked the way it fit me, how well the torque-sensing motor adjusted to my pedalling force, and the full "kittage" (fenders, computer, integrated lights). My biggest reservation is with its weight (nearly 55 pounds; eeek), which may make it brutally hard to bike home if I ever exceed the battery's range. I can pick it up on Wednesday, so I'm hoping for good weather that evening for a maiden voyage. I'm excited to join the "e-bike owner's club." :>)

Back