e-bike to e-trike conversion?

Hello-
I'm new to e-bikes but my city is offering vouchers which makes the idea of using an e-bike very tempting! I live near downtown and a lot of my driving is short distances.

I really want a 3-wheel trike for carrying capability and for stability. I'm a nervous and novice biker. I also regularly carry bulky items, like gallons of water.

Right now there's only one 3 wheel trike being sold by the shops that have joined the program and it's the Pedego trike. It's far from my first choice because it seems to be pretty low power and the cargo area isn't as big as I'd like.

I think that the Ride1 Up Cafe Cruiser or one of the RadPower bikes are my top choices based on price and power.

I contacted one of the bike shops because I found a trike conversion kit but they said it would be too difficult to adapt. I think because it is a rear conversion kit. (https://www.tricycleconversionkit.com/)

It seems like a reverse trike conversion might be an easier option when starting with an e-bike? I found the TReGo but I'm not sure if they'll ship to the US. (https://trego-trolley.com/home.) I asked AddBike if they're shipping to the US now. https://add-bike.com/en/carry-box/#read I also found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803904078860.html?. I can definitely get it shipped to the US but who knows about quality. I'd have to figure out how to attach a platform or something for cargo capability but I'm sure I could figure that out.

Are there other options that I'm missing? Googling reverse trike gave me mostly motorcycle related links even when excluding motorcycle.

Anything else I should know/consider?

Thanks in advance!
Tricycles with one wheel in front and two wheels in the rear are inherently dangerous and easy to flip when going downhill. OK for a parking cop to ride around at 20 MPH on level streets but not for carrying cargo.

Tricycles with one wheel in front and two wheels in the rear are inherently dangerous and easy to flip when going downhill. OK for a parking cop to ride around at 20 MPH on level streets but not for carrying cargo.
One major factor is the centre of gravity, it should be as low as possible, most three wheelers of this type have a seating position that is too high and too much forward, you are right, they can easily flip, a semi recumbent position where you pedal in a more forward and downward position makes it much better. This allows you also to sit lower and further back which lowers the c.g. and puts more weight on the rear wheels. Also, if you carry cargo in the back it puts even more weight on the two rear wheels which makes it even better and less prone to tip.
I am riding my etrike with one wheel in front and two wheels in the back ( also called delta trike) for several years now and put frequently 20 lbs to 50 lbs of load
in the rear cargo area,I am going down several steep hills on my way, but no problem with a semi recumbent delta trike.
Rudy Pekau,
Calgary,Alberta, Canada

Hello-
I'm new to e-bikes but my city is offering vouchers which makes the idea of using an e-bike very tempting! I live near downtown and a lot of my driving is short distances.

I really want a 3-wheel trike for carrying capability and for stability. I'm a nervous and novice biker. I also regularly carry bulky items, like gallons of water.

Right now there's only one 3 wheel trike being sold by the shops that have joined the program and it's the Pedego trike. It's far from my first choice because it seems to be pretty low power and the cargo area isn't as big as I'd like.

I think that the Ride1 Up Cafe Cruiser or one of the RadPower bikes are my top choices based on price and power.

I contacted one of the bike shops because I found a trike conversion kit but they said it would be too difficult to adapt. I think because it is a rear conversion kit. (https://www.tricycleconversionkit.com/)

It seems like a reverse trike conversion might be an easier option when starting with an e-bike? I found the TReGo but I'm not sure if they'll ship to the US. (https://trego-trolley.com/home.) I asked AddBike if they're shipping to the US now. https://add-bike.com/en/carry-box/#read I also found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803904078860.html?. I can definitely get it shipped to the US but who knows about quality. I'd have to figure out how to attach a platform or something for cargo capability but I'm sure I could figure that out.

Are there other options that I'm missing? Googling reverse trike gave me mostly motorcycle related links even when excluding motorcycle.

Anything else I should know/consider?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry I am late, have received the hardware for tilting trike, bike system, hardware looks good and bona fida,I will probably give an update when I actually build the thing, my balance went to hell this fall( Fall, crashed 5 times the other day, one reason I am interested) do not want to give up biking.

Go for the balance bike. Kids pick up on it quickly and it makes for an easy transition to pedal bikes - no training wheels needed. I recently fixed one up that is made of wood. It is at a place where multiple kids use it daily.

Thats a strange thing,I never had any problem balancing, my legs just wouldn't turn the pedals,I was probably 11-12 years old before my legs responded, I jumped on the bike one day and was coasting all the sudden my legs started working and I could ever since, coordination has always been a problem with me.( I guess its a case of "run Forrest run".)

thank you
One other idea is to buy a pedal bike. Lower the saddle all the way and remove the pedals. The kids can use it as a balance bike. Once they get the knack, install the pedals and raise the saddle. And away they go, with you only making one purchase.

One other idea is to buy a pedal bike. Lower the saddle all the way and remove the pedals. The kids can use it as a balance bike. Once they get the knack, install the pedals and raise the saddle. And away they go, with you only making one purchase.
That is a great idea.

This is totally off topic, excuse me. I just happen to have a photo ready of the cockpit of an electric bike. The same could go with a trike. I like them uncluttered.
1679938620985.jpeg

This is totally off topic, excuse me. I just happen to have a photo ready of the cockpit of an electric bike. The same could go with a trike. I like them uncluttered.
View attachment 150311
Yes! I defintly like a "clean cockpit" though some like clutter. In the future if I ever get the reverse trike done( 750 watt 36 volt) I may try for a TZD middrive with torque sensor the idea of less wires is very appealing to me not to mention the pulling power, I was impressed with a 350 watt middrive I had for awhile on a 'Delta Trike" sold it because I was scared of the handling and fear of loss of control on some of these steep hill descents.I really appreciate your down to earth builds, they seem to be enhanced bikes rather than electric mopeds.

Thanks Kevin! Bikes don't get more simple that that one. It is a single speed cruiser with a coaster brake. I pulled the display wire thru-frame. Here is the side view and a trike from before I knew how to do clean builds. The new cargo motors are so smooth, quiet, and strong. That trike is a folder from Walmart five-years ago. The seven-speed starter Trike was $329 with free shipping. I Installed better, brakes, tires, and touchpoints. In looking at the photo again of the cruiser, I do not think most people could identify it as electric. See the chainguard?

Attachments

• CoasterBrakeCruiser.JPG
    CoasterBrakeCruiser.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 118
  • ComforTrike2.JPG
    ComforTrike2.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Thanks Kevin! Bikes don't get more simple that that one. It is a single speed cruiser with a coaster brake. I pulled the display wire thru-frame. Here is the side view and a trike from before I knew how to do clean builds. The new cargo motors are so smooth, quiet, and strong. That trike is a folder from Walmart five-years ago. The seven-speed starter Trike was $329 with free shipping. I Installed better, brakes, tires, and touchpoints. In looking at the photo again of the cruiser, I do not think most people could identify it as electric. See the chainguard?
Sure stops a lot of taunts( hard for haters to say you are cheating)

But they are not locals. I am in a town about 35 miles North of the Golden Gate. If you zoom there on Google Maps and search for me, you can see local reviews. I did joke about cheating to make a bike lighter by using helium in the tires.

Back