E Bike battery Hi , my name is Geoff and I live in Adelaide S Aust. I am only new to this community. I am an avid e bike enthusiast and have owned o

Geoff7

Region
Australia
Hi All, my name is Geoff and I live in Adelaide South Australia. I am an avid e bike rider and have owned one for 5 years . I have had very few problems in that time.Now I have one that has me stumped and wonder if there is someone who can help. The battery I have is about 15 months old and the cells in it are Samsung. I have had them tested and they all check out well even under load.. My problem is that the power from the battery cuts out from time to time. It is very unpredictable as some days it seems quite ok and other days it may cut out several times. It can be quite dangerous if I am in traffic and crossing a road. Yesterday it never missed a beat in the morning and then cut out 4 times in the afternoon. I have tried changing batteries and all is then ok so it seems that the problem is definitely in the battery. It is a $550 battery so I would like to be able to fix it if I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Geoff

Hi Geoff did you build your ebike?
Check the wiring, and connections ( &dielectric 'bulb grease' ) again, learn how and use a multimeter
Ex: are the power main wires bent causing occasional high resistance ?
Are any light gage wire partially broken, yet hidden under the insulation, ?
Are the power wires to the motor heavy gage,?
Mike

I had my battery quit while riding home a few weeks ago, fortunately not too far away, and the bike pedals reasonably well without power. I decided to try the simplest thing first, which was to clean the battery contacts with methyl alcohol and a Q-tip. And that seemed to fix it, as there have been no troubles since.

Back