godzola

Region
USA
My son asked me if he can get an electric moped this summer. I suggested the only way this is possible is if he builds it with me, so that way when he inevitably breaks it, he will know how to fix it. He seems to be in, and we’ve even convinced Mom to go along. Now my problems start. At a high level, my plan is to do the following:

1. find a rolling chassis from a local motorcycle graveyard, with VIN number
2. I asked a police officer what it would take to be street legal (in Scottsdale AZ) and he was more than happy to help out. There is some more color to be added, but basically,
a. Less than 20 miles an hour, it’s an electric vehicle, no real licensing or insurance requirements​
b. 20-25 MPH with pedals, it’s an electric bike - special rules here​
c. 20-25 MPH no pedals, it’s a moped - special rules here​
d. 26 MPH or higher it’s a motorcycle and those rules for licensing and insurance apply​
e. A headlight and a brake light, you can signal with your hands if you want​
3. I don’t know exactly what the right motor is here, but generally I think I’ll want it to be able to go 30 MPH so I’ll be making a motorcycle as per the law so,
a. a rear hub-motor 1000 watt size​
b. I don’t know how a center mount would compare, but probably more parts like a chain/belt and a sprocket/pulley​
c. No way a front wheel motor​
4. Brakes - maybe there are drum brakes built in to hub motors? Maybe we go for disc brakes?
5. Electronics - I have ZERO idea how to size charge controllers, batteries, extra lights, motors etc. but I’m sure I can learn
6. Solar - see below

OK… so the boy says he wants to have a solar panel to charge it, too, not just plug it in. I think I need either a dual AC/DC and DC/DC charge controller, or two controllers… In any case, I see him working - save the planet, have some fun, get some chicks. The solar panel will definitely help him with the last part. Either way, I respect his thought process here and want to help him.

I have been wildly unsuccessful in finding anything to read on this process. I looked at this forum, and in a few other places, but I don’t really see any general material to help a fellow like me out. My nightmare scenario is to go find technical specs and parts lists for commercially available alternatives here, and then copying their parts list. That seems like a long, expensive way to do it. I prefere the analytical approach in this respect.

Any help from any members would be much appreciated!

Back