Don't charge your bike battery above 80% and don't ride below 20%. Maybe, maybe not.

How is the Luna turning off at a specified SOC? A voltage knee? Anyone know what the 3rd wire on the Bosch charges does, is there any data on that line? I have not looked at any of these chargers yet but wondering how the aftermarket units are controlling SOC to a Bosch or other pack if that is even possible. Many of these chargers are existing mod on Chinese units. Are the Bosch connectors even available in their raw form?

We 100% guys may sound like Big Oil lobbyists denying the science of batteries. I get the science, and believe I'm OK with 100% charge because I rarely go below 50%. A half cycle, as someone called it. Probably not half, maybe more. but still a partial cycle. I don't store all winter at 100% though. I did for two years. DIdn't kill the packs because it was cold.

Meanwhile, I put on my engineers hat and look at the spec sheet for a very good Sanyo GA cell, Wish all my batteries had this cell. Yet the manufacturer's testing says it loses a third of its original capacity after 500 cycles. Where are the bike makers pulling out these 1000 cycles? They must figure most of us do partial charge cycles.

My usage on a battery is under 100 charge cycles annually. I don't have to worry, I can appreciate the people who have to charge 2X a day to get to work and back. Now a battery is a annual expense like gasoline, heat, mortage and taxes, so you plan according,
The LG M36 sheet gives its cell decline stat at 1000 cycles. From what I've checked on, other bike batteries are given at much lesser # of cycles, but then, they can discharge at higher c and can charge at higher c. What is not obvious is how long they would last if not charged and discharged at higher c.

4.3.4Cycle LifeCells shall be charged and discharged per 4.2.3 for1000 cycles.
A cycle is defined as one charge and one discharge.
1001st discharge energy shall be measured per 4.2.1 and 4.2.2.≥80% (of Wh(min) in 2.1)
https://www.tme.eu/Document/f9ee3f9a6474dd6280c00e4c38e64f6c/INR18650-M36.pdf

Yeah I think it's a great strategic move, it markets you to customers that already have bikes for future purchases. And if it's not that hard to make, and no one but Luna is making it, then it's a great opportunity. It just seems like all the other e-bike brands are set up to sell complete bikes and nothing for people who don't buy their bikes. There isn't a very good pipeline of third party support for electric bits, while analog parts are the opposite with relatively universal modular parts available.

Luna doesn't strike me as very customer friendly, so even competing at the same price but offering more options/intuitive experience would help. But $50 is a no-brainer for even moderate battery lifespan gains.

Yeah especially for a commuter bike where 60% battery range is enough for an entire day 90%+ of the time.
Another product idea - a good horn. There may already be a good Chinese/Taiwanese maker, but there aren't very many options in the US for retail purchase. The existing airzound is great conceptually but ugly/low quality (I have the metal version which was discontinued). There's also a Juiced moped stye horn.

Back