Jpzeroday

Is there a consensus on which Dongle has emerged as the most reliable? I would like more assist available on the flats, flow.

Important for me in order: 1) native motor shifting still works; 2) system is reliable (I ride often in the outback); 3) display glitchyness minimized; 4) display data is correct. Which would be best for:

Own a 2016 FatSix w/Nyon (euro spec)

On Order: 2017 AllMTN xDuro USA spec

Is there a consensus on which Dongle has emerged as the most reliable? I would like more assist available on the flats, flow.

Important for me in order: 1) native motor shifting still works; 2) system is reliable (I ride often in the outback); 3) display glitchyness minimized; 4) display data is correct. Which would be best for:

Own a 2016 FatSix w/Nyon (euro spec)

On Order: 2017 AllMTN xDuro USA spec
http://www.bikespeed.de/RS_en.html

Bought my bike from ebikeshop in UK, They fitted a dongle hidden in motor casing. All i do is press the walk button and it reads out 3.1 (no idea why), but i can hit 33mph and reading is correct. Had bike for 10 months and no issues (fingers crossed). It really does transform bike. Fitted 18t ring in front making 28mph average easy to maintain (private roads of course).

Bought my bike from ebikeshop in UK, They fitted a dongle hidden in motor casing. All i do is press the walk button and it reads out 3.1 (no idea why), but i can hit 33mph and reading is correct. Had bike for 10 months and no issues (fingers crossed). It really does transform bike. Fitted 18t ring in front making 28mph average easy to maintain (private roads of course).
Hi Steve,

Curious; which bike?

It's a haibike xduro allmtn 2016. If i were to buy a dongle now it would be the bikespeed rs!

Thanks man. I have a 2015 FatSix XDURO. I'm anxious to get a reliable dongle that'll report the proper speed. I like the feedback on the ASA eSpeed B32.14, but eBikeTuning.com won't ship to the US. I notice that the RS's specs indicate that it works on my Bosch, I'm just concerned about the references of overcoming "25kph", and not my model's "20mph" limitation. I'm emialing BikeSpeed, but are you also in the US?

Thanks,
-Fitz

Fitz,
My experience with ebiketuning wasn't great. They replied to my query with a one liner in poor English. I've since heard there customer service isn't great if you have problems, so this put me off. Also, ASA didn't appeal as I think you would have to use heat shrink to ensure it was water tight etc. I think there are still some glitches with screen feedback.
The RS set up looks much more professional, neat and tidy. I also received a nice email back from them same day and they receive good feedback.
My understanding is that you will receive assist up to how fast you can pedal and how big the chain ring is.

Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the RS recommendation. I went with it, and installed it earlier this week. The dongle's of high quality; the connectors match the Bosch originals with their subtle water-proofing rubber boots...very impressive and reassuring. The installation was a simple plug-and-play procedure. I had a little trouble fitting it in the case without forcing the halves together. They say you can place the dongle in the downtube, which is actually doable on the FatSix, but I figured it'd expose it more readily to the elements. In any case, I was able to adequately close the case.

I took my FatSix out for its first run, and was VERY pleased that I was able to break 30MPH with moderate effort, and easily maintain my cofortable cruising speed of 23MPH. This done with the standard 16T chainring. I've already ordered the 18T, so with that, I expect I'll be in my happy-zone!

Again, thanks for the excellent recommendation. I'll give it a month's use before I advocate for RS.

-Fitz

P.S.: thanks to E-Wheels too! He was the one to bring RS into the thread.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the RS recommendation. I went with it, and installed it earlier this week. The dongle's of high quality; the connectors match the Bosch originals with their subtle water-proofing rubber boots...very impressive and reassuring. The installation was a simple plug-and-play procedure. I had a little trouble fitting it in the case without forcing the halves together. They say you can place the dongle in the downtube, which is actually doable on the FatSix, but I figured it'd expose it more readily to the elements. In any case, I was able to adequately close the case.

I took my FatSix out for its first run, and was VERY pleased that I was able to break 30MPH with moderate effort, and easily maintain my cofortable cruising speed of 23MPH. This done with the standard 16T chainring. I've already ordered the 18T, so with that, I expect I'll be in my happy-zone!

Again, thanks for the excellent recommendation. I'll give it a month's use before I advocate for RS.

-Fitz

Fitzy, your welcome
Can you confirm if the dongle offers full assiststance in Eco and Tour modes
I have read that some dongles only assist in Sport and Turbo
Also, does the display show the correct speed
Some dongles have been known to show half or a third of the actual travelling speed

Hey E-Wheels,

I'd ASSUMED it only worked for Sport and Turbo modes, but today whilst riding down a slight incline on a local highway, I was quite surprised to see my speedo was up around 34MPH. I was in Tour mode, and the effort-indicator showed that it was still assisting. So, I guess it works at least for Tour as well. I'll test on Eco tomorrow. The speed indicated is accurate as well, no blips or burps.

-Fitz

2017-02-28 00_49_14-Clipboard.jpg

Hey Steve,

-Fitz

Great to hear. Hope all is going well. I ended up buying the rs dongle as well. Very happy with mine too.

Oh, meant to say, i mentioned in another thread when i fitted rs i decided to add a bit of hot glue to seal main cable out of box and wrap box in electrical tape. 1'm not sure it's necessary, but i'm a bit anal.

I've tested this dongle and managed 40mph on flat with 20t front chainring. Funny thing is i prefer the feel of the 18t (sweet spot), so may well change back.

I installed Bikespeed-RS on my Sduro Trekking Yamaha today..it works! I only got to 25mph before spinning out on the stock 38t ring (I have a 40 I haven't added yet), but honestly that was plenty. I don't really need the higher top speed, it's just nice to not get to 20 and have everything drop out. I like it!

Oh, meant to say, i mentioned in another thread when i fitted rs i decided to add a bit of hot glue to seal main cable out of box and wrap box in electrical tape. 1'm not sure it's necessary, but i'm a bit anal.

I've tested this dongle and managed 40mph on flat with 20t front chainring. Funny thing is i prefer the feel of the 18t (sweet spot), so may well change back.

Hey Steve,

You're more anal than I! I was impressed enough with the hardware to trust it not to allow moisture into where it's not wanted. In fact, I've had BAD experiences with attempts at waterproofing electronic connections on a gasoline-powered bicycle I used in my past, so I avoid trying! When it's done wrong, insulation can TRAP water and speed corrosion. I'm in a mode of heightened awareness now since it's a snowy/slushy winter on the US East Coast, and there's plenty of road-salt to go around. I also enjoy riding on tidal-flats, so I get my fair-share of sea-water on my Bosch.

I'm not done evaluating the RS, but I've been very happy so far. I had two or three instances where the computer needed to be rebooted before I could select a drive-mode, but I think this happened BEFORE I installed the RS. Power has been smooth and continuous on all modes. I topped out at about 36MPH on my fat-bike with a 16T chainring (pedaling like a madman), which is great, but while the speedometer has been accurate, and has exhibited no noticeable glitches while riding, I did notice last week that my MAXIMUM speed registered was around 45MPH...then this week it registered as 65MPH. Dunno what's up there since early on, it was registering accurate MAXIMUM speed. Not a deal-breaker though.

Now, as for my 16T chainring; I bought a 20T to replace it in hopes of attaining greater sustained speeds for commuting. Well, the FatSix has a specialized Bosch XDURO chainring that's designed to raise the plane of the ring off the motor to clear the tire. Sooooo, it appears that whoever makes these...not sure if it's Bosch for HaiBike, or if HaiBike makes 'em themselves...but I can't find any version but this 16T. This is very frustrating to me since the 16(1.44):11 ratio is a tad too small...just out of my happy-zone. I could probably jerry-rig something with the 20T...and at this point and after more use, I think an 18T would suit my needs perfectly...but I don't WANT to jerry-rig my wonderful and EXPENSIVE bike!

16t.jpg
20t.jpg

Back