Does anyone here own a 2018 R&M Supercharger GX Rohloff HS?

Hi Tompat,

I was told by one of the vendor that the de-restricting device wouldn't work for the bike that equipped with the dual batteries. I just installed the device on mine which with built-in bluetooth, and I am pleased with it. However, I only activated if I want to paddle fast like 35 to 40 mph off road. On the flat pavement, I don't use it, i can cruise at 15 to 19 mph comfortably.
I just purchased a new Bikespeed RS for my dual battery Delight Mountain, When I read this I was concerned so I contacted Bikespeed. Here is their reply:

"You are right, there was a problem with dual batteries in the past. This was a Bosch issue and they fixed already 2 years ago. If you software is up to date, there will be no problems using the bikespeed-RS. It would be nice if you also can correct this on the forum you have read. Thank you! "

How do you like it so far? First impressions? Mine arrives in 2 weeks.

Well I've had it for a bit over 2 weeks now and I have 600 miles on it. If I had to use one word to describe it: Fantastic!

I like everything about it, the Rohloff E14 is great, it has a few mis-shifts and even though the assist power is retarded when you shift you still need to make a conscious effort to reduce pedaling power as well.

The bike is a lot beefier and "thicker" than what the photos make it appear to be and every component is of extremely high quality. The price is almost justified when you start adding up the price of each component even though it's hard to explain to people why anyone would spend north of $8K on a bicycle.

I'm 5'9.5" and got the smallest one and it fits me great. The stand over height is just right with my inseam and riding it is very comfortable.

The power assist is very natural and feels very appropriate. When I commute, 33 miles each way, I use Turbo, when I'm just out for a quick 20 mile ride I use Tour. On flats I can easily get to 27-28 mph in Turbo mode and it is a pretty good workout through and through. It is not a motorcycle, you have to pedal and have the bike help along. Realistically what it buys you is:
1) A comfortable bike where you don't have to worry about the weigh hurting your performance.
2) A few MPH advantage over a regular lean road bike without the sacrifices.

It will not ride on its own for you and going faster than 28 mph is both futile and unrealistic. The power gradually cuts out at 28 mph and it, as everything else about the poewrtrain feels natural. Given the simple fact that it provides about 275% of your input if you're putting in 100 Watts you'll be cruising as if you were putting in 375% which on this bike give the weight is around 28 mph on flats. Any more power would be unnecessary with the exception of hills but realistically at that point you might as well get a motorcycle.

Without the comfort of the Supercharger and the extra few mph over regular road bike I would not be commuting 67+ miles every day for sure.

I got the Kiox display and it's very legible, great contrast and sharp looking, substantially better than my Garmin Edge 1030 in terms of display quality. However, it reads fast, I had to adjust the tire size to read more in line with my Garmin and they have some weird tire size math and conversion that makes no sense what-so-ever, it is not compatible with the Garmin read tire diameter values. The display modes are not adjustable in any way so I just leave it on speed and use my Garmin for everything else. On the speed display it shows what gear you're in constantly as well. Bosch should make a CAN to ANT+ dongle to allow Garmin and other devices to interface with the Bosch control and leverage ANT channels for cadence, power, shifting and eBike related fields. It's all in the ANT+ standard the dongle would not be a complicated thing to develop. The Kiox display and feature set is underwhelming but since I have a Garmin it's a don't care for me.

The lights can be turned on/off, however brake lights and horn only work if the lights are on. The headlight is great, I ride to work in pitch black in the morning and the visibility is truly awesome with the headlights.

Range appears to be around 45-47 miles in Turbo mode, I generally use about 65-70% on my morning commute. The other day temps were 37F (3C) and I arrived to work with 23% battery left. Range will depend on speed, this morning I averaged 108 Watts of human power and I had more battery left. If I average 130-135W of human power then the battery also burns quicker and the time saving for my commute is marginal at that point. The extra mph at the top end is almost not worth it unless you want a stronger workout.

I charge with a 4A charger at home and have a second charger at work. I charge the batteries in the bike at the house and off the bike individually at work. The batteries get charged twice a day on days I commute which I think will be the Achilles heel of the whole thing, at $900 a pop and roughly 500 charges a year I wonder how long they will last.

My favorite gears are 12 and 13, I do most of my riding in those two gears around 25-27 mph even though I only average about 21-22 mph when you consider traffic and lights.

Well I've had it for a bit over 2 weeks now and I have 600 miles on it. If I had to use one word to describe it: Fantastic!

I like everything about it, the Rohloff E14 is great, it has a few mis-shifts and even though the assist power is retarded when you shift you still need to make a conscious effort to reduce pedaling power as well.

The bike is a lot beefier and "thicker" than what the photos make it appear to be and every component is of extremely high quality. The price is almost justified when you start adding up the price of each component even though it's hard to explain to people why anyone would spend north of $8K on a bicycle.

I'm 5'9.5" and got the smallest one and it fits me great. The stand over height is just right with my inseam and riding it is very comfortable.

The power assist is very natural and feels very appropriate. When I commute, 33 miles each way, I use Turbo, when I'm just out for a quick 20 mile ride I use Tour. On flats I can easily get to 27-28 mph in Turbo mode and it is a pretty good workout through and through. It is not a motorcycle, you have to pedal and have the bike help along. Realistically what it buys you is:
1) A comfortable bike where you don't have to worry about the weigh hurting your performance.

It will not ride on its own for you and going faster than 28 mph is both futile and unrealistic. The power gradually cuts out at 28 mph and it, as everything else about the poewrtrain feels natural. Given the simple fact that it provides about 275% of your input if you're putting in 100 Watts you'll be cruising as if you were putting in 375% which on this bike give the weight is around 28 mph on flats. Any more power would be unnecessary with the exception of hills but realistically at that point you might as well get a motorcycle.

Without the comfort of the Supercharger and the extra few mph over regular road bike I would not be commuting 67+ miles every day for sure.

I got the Kiox display and it's very legible, great contrast and sharp looking, substantially better than my Garmin Edge 1030 in terms of display quality. However, it reads fast, I had to adjust the tire size to read more in line with my Garmin and they have some weird tire size math and conversion that makes no sense what-so-ever, it is not compatible with the Garmin read tire diameter values. The display modes are not adjustable in any way so I just leave it on speed and use my Garmin for everything else. On the speed display it shows what gear you're in constantly as well. Bosch should make a CAN to ANT+ dongle to allow Garmin and other devices to interface with the Bosch control and leverage ANT channels for cadence, power, shifting and eBike related fields. It's all in the ANT+ standard the dongle would not be a complicated thing to develop. The Kiox display and feature set is underwhelming but since I have a Garmin it's a don't care for me.

The lights can be turned on/off, however brake lights and horn only work if the lights are on. The headlight is great, I ride to work in pitch black in the morning and the visibility is truly awesome with the headlights.

Range appears to be around 45-47 miles in Turbo mode, I generally use about 65-70% on my morning commute. The other day temps were 37F (3C) and I arrived to work with 23% battery left. Range will depend on speed, this morning I averaged 108 Watts of human power and I had more battery left. If I average 130-135W of human power then the battery also burns quicker and the time saving for my commute is marginal at that point. The extra mph at the top end is almost not worth it unless you want a stronger workout.

I charge with a 4A charger at home and have a second charger at work. I charge the batteries in the bike at the house and off the bike individually at work. The batteries get charged twice a day on days I commute which I think will be the Achilles heel of the whole thing, at $900 a pop and roughly 500 charges a year I wonder how long they will last.

My favorite gears are 12 and 13, I do most of my riding in those two gears around 25-27 mph even though I only average about 21-22 mph when you consider traffic and lights.
You experience, metrics and impressions are exactly the same as mine with my 2019 Homage Rohloff HS. Fabulous drive train made near perfect with the gates belt drive.

I forgot the belt drive! I love that too! I also don't understand how people consider the Bosch system "noisy". When I'm cruising at 25+ mph the only thing I can hear is music from my helmet speakers and the wind. The Gates belt drive with Rohloff and e-shifting is truly the best setup out there if you can stomach the additional cost.

Cadence in 13th gear at 27 mph is around 90 rpm which is perfectly comfortable for me, I average around 88 rpm on vigorous effort and around 80 for easier rides. I also have added a pedal power meter to measure my output otherwise Strava and Garmin both think I'm some super human, which I am not. The pedal power meter matches the power display on the Kiox which is a good sign that Bosch really did a solid on these measurements/engineering.

Wow, thank you for the incredibly helpful post. My use case is similar to yours - I plan on commuting 56 miles a day (round trip). Initially I thought two batteries would get me through the entire commute without charging, but your numbers suggest otherwise and my 6'1", 240 lbs frame is not helping either. Charging at work should not be a problem.

I have taken the Supercharger on a few test rides, and I was surprised the amount of effort needed to maintain 20+mph. It was my first time on an ebike, so perhaps my expectations weren't realistic. I am test riding a Stromer ST5 before taking delivery of the Supercharger just to make sure I'm making the right bike choice. I'm slightly afraid I will fall in love with the acceleration and power of the Stromer, but I'm told the Stromer is less dependable (more time in the bike shop for repairs), and will be less versatile if I want to ride on trails.

Since our use cases are so similar, will ask you a slightly personal question: calories burned. With all that riding, you must be burning a serious amount of calories. Do you find that you have to eat more to avoid being famished? I'm hoping to drop weight with my ebike commute. I'm not in the best of shape, so will take a few months I think to do the commute 5 days a week.

Fingers crossed that the computer evolves quickly. In the meantime, I will also use a Garmin.

The only way you'd cover 56 miles on a single charge is in "Tour" or "ECO" modes. In "Sport" or "Turbo" you would be out of juice. It's also not good for the battery to be repeatedly drained down to 0%, I prefer to have 20% left in it before I'd charge but given my use case I don't have the luxury to wait for the optimal time to charge so I just do what I do which is charge after each ride except on weekends when I just cruise 20 milers in Tour mode and I can get two rides in before needing a charge.

While I used to be a fairly successful "hobby jogger" (ran Boston 5 times) after my knee surgery I did nothing for a few years so gained a few lbs and currently hovering around 225 lbs, trying to make it back down to about 150. So the 3+ hours a day on the bike are perfect to lose weight. As for calories, using my HR monitor and Power Meter, Garmin estimates I burn somewhere between 600 and 700 calories per ride so about 1,300-1,400 calories per commuting day. I found these estimates highly accurate and best way to measure caloric expenditure while exercising. I am trying to not eat more and truth be told I am not particularly hungry, it's more about overall fatigue from the repeated exercise that tends to set in. Mind you, I'm still an out of shape fat cyclist at the moment hoping to get back in shape.

Since my whole purpose to bike commute is to exercise, lose weigh and gain/maintain fitness I was far less concerned about getting to work with no sweat than getting in a solid exercise. The Supercharger nails it for me. I can ride easy, 120 bpm 108 Watts and feel good about the ride or I can totally hammer it and average 140+ bpm for a 5 minute time saving and more legitimate workout. To me the pedal assist makes it so I can ride the 70 lbs supercharger with my 225 lbs body and out of shape legs as I could ride my time trial bike at 157 lbs in peak training condition.

Regarding the Kiox, I will keep riding with my Garmin 1030 no matter what. I track my workouts in Strava and there really is no true benefit to using the Kiox for much of anything. It's fine to hope for a better Kiox platform if you don't have a Garmin but if you're fully invested in the Garmin ecosystem it only makes perfect sense to keep using Garmin. I'm actually mad at companies trying to reinvent the wheel and developing something that others have already developed in a much better more intuitive way with several iterations of bad design behind them. If I was Bosch I would have concentrated on developing an ANT+ interface instead of the Kiox. I could have used the Bosch internal power meter to log power rather than using $1,000 Vector 3 pedals...

The only way you'd cover 56 miles on a single charge is in "Tour" or "ECO" modes. In "Sport" or "Turbo" you would be out of juice. It's also not good for the battery to be repeatedly drained down to 0%, I prefer to have 20% left in it before I'd charge but given my use case I don't have the luxury to wait for the optimal time to charge so I just do what I do which is charge after each ride except on weekends when I just cruise 20 milers in Tour mode and I can get two rides in before needing a charge.

While I used to be a fairly successful "hobby jogger" (ran Boston 5 times) after my knee surgery I did nothing for a few years so gained a few lbs and currently hovering around 225 lbs, trying to make it back down to about 150. So the 3+ hours a day on the bike are perfect to lose weight. As for calories, using my HR monitor and Power Meter, Garmin estimates I burn somewhere between 600 and 700 calories per ride so about 1,300-1,400 calories per commuting day. I found these estimates highly accurate and best way to measure caloric expenditure while exercising. I am trying to not eat more and truth be told I am not particularly hungry, it's more about overall fatigue from the repeated exercise that tends to set in. Mind you, I'm still an out of shape fat cyclist at the moment hoping to get back in shape.

Since my whole purpose to bike commute is to exercise, lose weigh and gain/maintain fitness I was far less concerned about getting to work with no sweat than getting in a solid exercise. The Supercharger nails it for me. I can ride easy, 120 bpm 108 Watts and feel good about the ride or I can totally hammer it and average 140+ bpm for a 5 minute time saving and more legitimate workout. To me the pedal assist makes it so I can ride the 70 lbs supercharger with my 225 lbs body and out of shape legs as I could ride my time trial bike at 157 lbs in peak training condition.

Regarding the Kiox, I will keep riding with my Garmin 1030 no matter what. I track my workouts in Strava and there really is no true benefit to using the Kiox for much of anything. It's fine to hope for a better Kiox platform if you don't have a Garmin but if you're fully invested in the Garmin ecosystem it only makes perfect sense to keep using Garmin. I'm actually mad at companies trying to reinvent the wheel and developing something that others have already developed in a much better more intuitive way with several iterations of bad design behind them. If I was Bosch I would have concentrated on developing an ANT+ interface instead of the Kiox. I could have used the Bosch internal power meter to log power rather than using $1,000 Vector 3 pedals...
Thanks again. Your feedback has only made me more excited about the bike!

Holy crap, I didn’t know thousand dollar pedals existed! Yikes!

And here I thought golfers were crazy about equipment. We’re all afflicted.

It's not just cycling that can be very expensive? $25,000 for my last snooker table. But this week, I really lost it? Paid out $1900 for a John Parris snooker cue. I ask ya, for a stick of wood. Crazy or not?

What kinda of real-world range are you getting? Do you have the Dual batteries?

I have one, for my daily 32 km (one direction) commute.

The bike is awesome and has fulfilled my expectations. My goal was to make the 32 km in an hour or less and that's what I did the first time I tried. It is equipped with the dual batteries and I drain slightly more than 50% on the 64 km's.

It's my first Rohloff experience and it was slightly odd. I was expecting a german precision shifter, but it is a rather swampy feeling. The shifter has a lot of play and it is designed to have according to the Rohloff manual. I am not disappointed with this, it just wasn't what I expected. Once used to it, it no longer bothers me.

The negative sides are not with the bike but the legal regulations surrounding speed pedelecs. Licensing and insurance was not cheap at all. In hindsight I would rather have chosen the non-HS model and just added a de-restricting device to it.

The HS model has some features not found on the non-HS model, though. It has brake light and corresponding brake handles with light switches. The front light is always on and I appreciate it. And it has the rear mirror, a feature I like.

View attachment 23473

The only way to exceed 40 miles on Tour mode, on one 500 watt battery, is if you are not very heavy and keep your average speed around 15 mph. I weigh 215. On my 2018 Homage Rohloff HS, at 18 mph average speed in tour, I am working out, putting out 105 watts average, with heart rate around 115, and get around 35 miles in tour with remaining battery in the high teens (not good for battery life to pull it down any less).

I do have the Supercharger therefore dual batteries, yes. On my 33 mile (55 km) morning commute in 37F (3C) weather I arrived to work with only 23% battery left in Turbo mode with an average speed of 22.3 mph (36 km/h) and average human power output of 126W.

On my commute home with 67F (19.5C) and average speed of 20.3 mph (32.5 km/h) I arrived with 36% battery left in Turbo mode with average power of 120W.

On Tour mode I can ride 20 miles (32 km) on relatively flat terrain with 75% of battery left at an average speed of 16-17 mph (25-27 km/h) and average power output of about 80W as an easy recovery ride.

Those last few mph are very costly both in terms of human power and battery power. If you want to go long you need to ride slower.

I do have the Supercharger therefore dual batteries, yes. On my 33 mile (55 km) morning commute in 37F (3C) weather I arrived to work with only 23% battery left in Turbo mode with an average speed of 22.3 mph (36 km/h) and average human power output of 126W.

On my commute home with 67F (19.5C) and average speed of 20.3 mph (32.5 km/h) I arrived with 36% battery left in Turbo mode with average power of 120W.

On Tour mode I can ride 20 miles (32 km) on relatively flat terrain with 75% of battery left at an average speed of 16-17 mph (25-27 km/h) and average power output of about 80W as an easy recovery ride.

Those last few mph are very costly both in terms of human power and battery power. If you want to go long you need to ride slower.
Based on your numbers and your photo, you are quite a bit younger than me(68) and weigh considerably less than me(215lbs.). My guess is that your communtes are mostly flat without too many stops. Weight, topography, how many stops and starts, fitness level and speed are the key variables for range.

The photo is an old one :). I'm north of 220 lbs at the moment and in my early 40s. With the help of my commute I expect to get down to my photo weight by November. You can check out my commute's elevation and stop/go profile on Strava:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2259248730
https://www.strava.com/activities/2263147394

I find that elevation absolutely makes a difference however the biggest difference maker is speed. Cruising at 20 mph vs 27 mph makes a tremendous amount of difference.

Using this calculator ( https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html ) you can see that while weight and grade are difference makers, speed and wind are far bigger factors.

In default mode the calculator it estimates ~400W for 27 mph and only 180W for 20 mph on flat surfaces which are probably not that far from the truth.

If you look at this 0.7 mile segment in my commute ( https://www.strava.com/activities/2259248730/analysis/1809/1912 ) I averaged 135W of my own power for 26.2 mph. In Turbo mode with 275% assist it would mean the motor was putting out 371 W of power for a total of 506W of power to propel my fat butt and heavy bike at 26.2 mph. If I adjust the power estimator to 225 lbs, 70 lbs bike and 7.7 sq ft frontal area I get 26.2 pmh for 506 W at -0.2% grade.

If you look at this 0.6 mile segment on a casual ride ( https://www.strava.com/activities/2253051165/analysis/968/1109 ) I averaged 124W of my own power for 15.7 mph. In Tour Mode with 120% assist it would mean the motor was putting out 148 W of power for a total of 272 W of power. At 272W and 0.3% grade the estimator puts me at 19.2 mph but I was only doing 15.7 mph so the math is off somewhere or the motor is putting out less power.

Regardless, doing 26 mph in Turbo will require 506W of which ~370W will come from the motor while doing 16 mph requires 272 W, ~150 W coming from the motor.

At 900Wh the battery would last 2 hours 25 minutes in Turbo mode and 6 hours in Tour mode. At 26.2 mph you'd travel 63 miles in Turbo mode and at 15.6 mph you'd travel 94 miles in Tour mode.

These are the nominal reasonable ranges to expect on relatively flat surfaces at different speeds and power assist levels.

Incidentally Bosch's very own range estimator with 300 lbs bike+rider, with some inclines, poor quality roads, and light breezes gives 93 miles for Tour Mode at 16 mph and 37 miles in Turbo mode at 26 mph.

I just entered all the data from yesterdays ride into the Bosch range calculator. This includes 300 lb rider and bike (Homage) 500 watt power tube, mostly good asphault, gentle winds, occasional stops and starts, average cadence of 70, average speed 16mph, some inclines (1124 feet), assist levels 40% Eco - 48% Tour - 12% Sport. I got home after 34.6 miles with 19% battery remaining. Bosch predicts 45.4 miles range at straight Tour. I used 81% of my battery, which would be a predicted range of 36.74 Note that the first 5 miles of my ride was running several errands around town with frequent starts and stops which would account for my slightly lower result.

I made my first commute of the year on my GX HS Rohloff today (not the Supercharger). 36 miles. Wonderful in windy 40F weather. Earlier commuting this year has all been on my class 1 Tern. Which is fun and manageable but there is really no comparison to the smooth and powerful ride of the class 3 R&M.

I have dual batteries.
Range estimate is about 80-90 km for the dual batteries, my average speed is between 33-36 km/h (varying) on my commute.
The Bosch range calculator does very closely match real-world performance. Use it and you will know if a Bosch powered bike will fit your needs.

Back