Does any suspension fork work on the Turbo or Turbo S?

RockShox Paragon Gold 65mm 700c Suspension Fork Disc Brake Black

Dug up some info on this one. Anyone know if this would work/fit on the new Turbo S?

Well I plan on doing that too but would like a new front suspension fork also for the front end. I would assume it could be done if the Turbo X has one?

John, on the Specialized website both the Turbo and Turbo S have the same size head tube, the measurement and style that determines what suspension fork would work, 1-1/8" threadless. The headtube length varies depending upon the frame size; however, why not get the same fork that comes on the Turbo X, RockShox Paragon, or the one you mention with slightly more travel. Any shock that's 1-1/8" threadless will generally work, just be sure to get one that matches your bike's head tube length or have a bike shop measure and cut to fit. It's worth it to invest in a quality shock that will last longer and require less maintenance and generally perform better particularly if you've got spine issues to help!

The Turbo X uses the Rockshox Paragon as mentioned above. You shouldn't have much trouble adding it. Specialized doesn't stock replacement Forks so you'll need to purchase elsewhere. Most shops can get them direct from Rockshox. You'll need to move the headlight to the handlebars so you'll need another mount. Let me know if you have trouble sourcing the parts.

The Turbo X uses the Rockshox Paragon as mentioned above. You shouldn't have much trouble adding it. Specialized doesn't stock replacement Forks so you'll need to purchase elsewhere. Most shops can get them direct from Rockshox. You'll need to move the headlight to the handlebars so you'll need another mount. Let me know if you have trouble sourcing the parts.

Well the 2016 S has the headlight on the handlebars so that's not an issue but I had the X and S side by side and the head tube on the S is an inch or 2 longer than the X so I think it will throw the geometry way off if I throw a standard shock fork on there. Maybe at some point someone will make one made just for the S and keep the geometry the same.

Last edited:
John, are you sure that both models were the same frame size? That would make a big difference in what you are seeing. A small frame, either X or S will have a shorter head tube length as I discussed earlier than a medium or larger frame, so the suspension forks will match according to the head tube size, that keeps the frame geometry balanced.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with the stock OEM Paragon fork on my 2017 Turbo X. I rode the (rigid) Turbo S and it seemed too harsh for me and the kind of riding I planned (we have some bad roads and I wanted to commute on some packed trails).

I put a Paragon Gold 65mm fork on my stock Turbo. I had to do a few mods for the fenders and the headlight, which is now mounted on the bars. I adapted a handlebar bracket originally from a cheap light. It is better to have the light higher. You can get some sort of adapter for the Paragon crown but I didn't bother.

I also had to invert the stem and remove spacers as the extra stack height of the forks altered the geometry somewhat.

Recently I changed tyres to Schwalbe Almotion Tubeless (including actually going tubeless). Being tubeless makes the bike MUCH more compliant over bumps, so maybe try that first.

While I don't have one on my bike (or feel the need), the Bodyfloat post is fantastic.

FWIW Specialized do stock the OEM Suntour forks for Vado nowadays. That might be a cheaper option. The Paragon's aren't anything like the Rockshox MTB forks so don't get too carried away about 'quality'. The fork on a touring bike is there to mostly take hits rather than give you a magic carpet ride (which going tubeless is more likely to give you).

20170429_120950.jpg20170429_121027.jpg

Back