Do you wear a mask when you ride?

Early on, before anyone really knew what was going on, the ONLY thing they said about masks was that they weren't necessary
OK, we start with Fauci in one statement for instruction and then proceed to his reasoning on increasing risk of spread, as well.
"Right now in the United States, people should not be walking around with masks." ...Dr. Fauci
Next up, Dr David Williams, chief health official of Ontario

Last edited:
OK, we start with Fauci in one statement for instruction and then proceed to his reasoning on increasing risk of spread, as well.
"Right now in the United States, people should not be walking around with masks." ...Dr. Fauci
Next up, Dr David Williams, chief health official of Ontario
Look at the timing. That was VERY early on, and the Fauci comment was intended to conserve masks. He said nothing to the effect they would spread the disease if worn.

Look at the timing. That was VERY early on, and the Fauci comment was intended to conserve masks. He said nothing to the effect they would spread the disease if worn.
I would like you to agree that I was correct on that point before proceeding. Never mind about why he said it. He said it. He instructed everyone to not wear masks in public for covid. Was I correct on that point or not?

• US Surgeon General Jerome Adams said Monday, March 2 that wearing face masks could actually increase a person's risk of contracting COVID-19, echoing remarks he made on Saturday that called for people to "stop buying masks."
Noted this is not a direct quote from that period.

Last edited:
Then we see the transformation stages. At this point he's saying they do not work for the public against spread of covid, but medical staff needs them for their work.

Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!

They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can't get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!
https://t.co/UxZRwxxKL9
— U.S. Surgeon General (@Surgeon_General) February 29, 2020

"One of the things [the general public] shouldn’t be doing is going out and buying masks … It has not been proven to be effective in preventing the spread of coronavirus amongst the general public … Folks who don’t know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot, and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus. You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a healthcare provider."

US Surgeon General Jerome Adams on FOX and Friends March 2

I would like you to agree that I was correct on that point before proceeding. Never mind about why he said it. He said it. He instructed everyone to not wear masks in public for covid. Was I correct on that point or not?
You are deliberately twisting quotes out of context to suit your narrative

People seem to be down to their last pennies with their memory bank
You are deliberately twisting quotes out of context to suit your narrative
What was twisted? Can you be specific?
I think the quotes provided are fully accurate.
Top officials advised against the public wearing masks and even said it can increase the risk of spread.
Jerome explained why he thought so.
I'd like you to state what I twisted if you could, thanks.
"You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a healthcare provider."
Jerome Adams

"One of the things [the general public] shouldn’t be doing is going out and buying masks … It has not been proven to be effective in preventing the spread of coronavirus amongst the general public … Folks who don’t know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot, and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus. You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a healthcare provider."

US Surgeon General Jerome Adams on FOX and Friends March 2
Believing for one second thoughts like this should be taken seriously, or for that matter, taking about 90% of anything said on FOX seriously. Fox is about entertainment. If you like that kind of thing, go for it. I don't...

Believing for one second thoughts like this should be taken seriously, or for that matter, taking about 90% of anything said on FOX seriously. Fox is about entertainment. If you like that kind of thing, go for it. I don't...
I'm not talking about FOX being believable or whether or not I like FOX. I'm talking about Jerome Adams' statements being made or not made. I prefer to use your favorite source or debunking sites and always try to, in order to help memory and understanding functions. Maybe they have it...although I go to source where possible first and last. Name your preferred debunking sites, please, Mr Hicks.

I'm getting my second jab today and am greatly looking forward to it.

My parents got their second dose a few weeks ago and last night went out to dinner for the first time.

The vaccines are extraordinarily safe and effective. You are at far higher risk from dying in an auto accident while driving to or from your vaccination than a side effect of the vaccine. With over one hundred million doses administered (in the US) there have been only a handful of deaths that might possibly be correlated to the vaccination, which makes getting this vaccine safer than flying commercial.

I am volunteering on vaccine distribution and vaccination events, and so far I haven't even heard of an adverse reaction to the vaccine that required medical attention. The number I am hearing kicked around for adverse reactions is for one out of 500,000 vaccinations -- and the vast majority of "adverse reactions" require only an epipen injection and the patient is just fine.

So please ignore the idiots and get your shot when you can!

Surgeon General Jerome Adams said:
Folks who don’t know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot

After observing it so many many times this year, I am a believer that his observation or conclusion of that is absolutely correct.
I would say "...tend to touch their faces a lot more", which is implicit anyway.
How about we play 5 videos of rich and educated high officials repeatedly adjusting their custom or well fitted mask when speaking on camera? How difficult would it be to find one where they did not touch the mask? More time consuming to find those.

I'm not talking about FOX being believable or whether or not I like FOX. I'm talking about Jerome Adams' statements being made or not made. I prefer to use your favorite source or debunking sites and always try to, in order to help memory and understanding functions. Maybe they have it...although I go to source where possible first and last. Name your preferred debunking sites, please, Mr Hicks.
I think maybe you've mistaken me for somebody with the time to mess with stuff like this. I can't bring myself to care enough about it to make it a priority. I think cleaning the chain on my bike prior to a ride in the 80 degree temps today, a higher priority.

Regarding face touching, again, you're twisting the relevance. People touch their faces, no debate there. They've been doing that since ancient history began. If you want to say that's spreading the virus, go for it. I'll live with that fact knowing we've been advised NOT to do that before washing/cleaning our hands after coming inside.

I'm getting my second jab today and am greatly looking forward to it.

My parents got their second dose a few weeks ago and last night went out to dinner for the first time.

The vaccines are extraordinarily safe and effective. You are at far higher risk from dying in an auto accident while driving to or from your vaccination than a side effect of the vaccine. With over one hundred million doses administered (in the US) there have been only a handful of deaths that might possibly be correlated to the vaccination, which makes getting this vaccine safer than flying commercial.

I am volunteering on vaccine distribution and vaccination events, and so far I haven't even heard of an adverse reaction to the vaccine that required medical attention. The number I am hearing kicked around for adverse reactions is for one out of 500,000 vaccinations -- and the vast majority of "adverse reactions" require only an epipen injection and the patient is just fine.

So please ignore the idiots and get your shot when you can!
Thanks for a great posting. I got my second jab last week. No side effects. Not even subsequent discomfort in the shoulder. The non believers of the significance of the virus and the vaccine are much more tiresome than any inconvenience of wearing a mask. Seriously, I hope they eventually make masking a permagent requirement on buses, trains and airplanes.
Sorry to say, I have never seen such ignorant and stupid postings on this site. There is no point in debating the issue with them.

Is msn with an expert viewpoint offered, OK in your estimation, Mr. Hicks?

"The One Thing You Shouldn't Touch​

While face masks are designed for safety, you can put yourself at a higher risk for infection if you're not careful with this simple piece of fabric. Handling your face mask correctly is crucial and one thing you shouldn't touch is the outside material on the mask.

Since none of us are very familiar with our new accessory, we're more prone to mindlessly fidgeting and adjusting it. However, the outside of your face mask is what's potentially being exposed to coronavirus. If there are droplets in the air, they could land on the material on the outside of your mask. All it takes is one quick grab on the front of your mask, then a simple eye or nose rub and you're risking infection.

Dr. Daniel Griffin of Columbia University states that wearing a mask is only effective if you do it right. He says, "That's why in the studies, masks fail—people don't use them (correctly). They touch the front of it. They adjust it. They push it down somehow to get their nose stuck out."

How to Touch Your Mask Properly​

The CDC's face mask guidelines state, "Don't touch the face covering, and, if you do, wash your hands." While we know touching the outside of the mask is a no-no, how do you eat a snack, take a sip of water, or take the face mask off when you get home? The CDC recommends following these steps to take off your mask:

1. With clean hands, untie or pull off the ear loops.
  2. Fold the outside corners of the mask together.
  3. Put your face mask in the wash if it's reusable or throw it away if it's disposable.
  4. Wash your hands thoroughly before eating or touching your face.
If you're out in public, it's tempting to grab your mask and pull it down to sip a drink or take a bite. Refrain from this bad habit and follow the CDC's steps to properly remove your mask. Buy a mask that fits comfortably so you don't find yourself continually trying to readjust it. Wearing a face mask protects your neighbors from this deadly virus but properly taking it on and off protects you. "

"All it takes is one quick grab on the front of your mask, then a simple eye or nose rub and you're risking infection.

Dr. Daniel Griffin of Columbia University "That's why in the studies, masks fail—people don't use them (correctly)."

Mr. Hicks, in testing, surgeons fail at slightly below 50% contamination of self when donning and doffing PPE materials. Each article of clothing gets the surgeons, if I recall, about 40% failure in test for contamination of self.

Last edited:
Health workers fail hugely in self contamination testing. Surgeons even get about 40% failure on every article of protection handling. It's the way it is, people. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28606192/

"50% of CP PPE HCWs made ≥1 protocol deviation while donning, and 100% of EVD PPE HCWs and 67% of CP PPE HCWs made ≥1 protocol deviation while doffing (P=.02). The median number of doffing protocol deviations among EVD PPE HCWs was 4, versus 1 among CP PPE HCWs. Also, 15 EVD PPE protocol deviations were committed by doffing assistants and/or trained observers. Fluorescence was detected on 8 EVD PPE HCWs (44%) and 5 CP PPE HCWs (28%), most commonly on hands. MS2 was recovered from 2 EVD PPE HCWs (11%) and 3 CP PPE HCWs (17%). CONCLUSIONS Protocol deviations were common during both EVD and CP PPE doffing, and some deviations during EVD PPE doffing were committed by the HCW doffing assistant and/or the trained observer. Self-contamination was common. PPE donning/doffing are complex and deserve additional study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2017;38:1077-1083. "

the EVD PPE is for Ebola, so the other one is applicable for what we're discussing, which is the CP PPE for HCW (health care workers).
Here's another:

"More than one-third of healthcare workers were contaminated with multi-drug resistant organisms (MDRO) after caring for patients colonized or infected with the bacteria, according to a study published today in Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, the journal of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. The study found that 39 percent of workers made errors in removing personal protective equipment (PPE), including gowns and gloves, increasing the incidence of contamination.

"Based on these findings, we should reevaluate strategies for removing personal protective equipment, as well as how often healthcare workers are trained on these methods," said Koh Okamoto, MD, MS, a lead author of the study."

Last edited:
Depending upon my surroundings, human that is, I do wear one. If no one is in close proximity, I'd slip it down and give my nostrils a break. My go-to bike path can get somewhat crowded at times.
Mostly if I know I’ll be encountering groups of masked walkers- fortunately fully vaxed now! But if it helps my fellow humans feel less anxious during this nightmare- I’ll do it! Sad though when a lone walker at a distance,suddenly notices me rolling in their direction and hurriedly masks up for our 10’ distanced pass at 10mph outside... Ride in Health Friends,with empathy!

Yesterday, I came out of a store, and with my mask still on, headed off. To be honest I didn't notice it right away, but it was no big deal.
When I did notice it, I just popped it down under my chin until my next stop and then removed it entirely. No need - no crowds.

Back