Do I need cycling shoes?

Adidas Five Ten FreeRider Pro.
A trip to Italy. Iā€™m happy for you.

My wife and I both have and like Five Ten. After a complex spiral tib-fib fracture of my left leg along with three severed tendons in the left foot, and fractured tib-fib and talus of the right leg, I have a hard time finding shoes that work for me, (so I think that I can relate to your issues.

The Five Ten Free Rider Prineblue has been great, on or off the bike and it grips the pedal very well.

Adidas Five Ten also makes a cycling shoe that looks more like a running shoe, ( (Trailcross LT). I have no experience with that model, but most reviews are very good.

Last edited:
I wonder if rigid carbon fiber shoe inserts would do what you want. You could remove them from your shoes for walking if they prove too stiff for that. I've thought of giving them a try but don't have a real need.

I have the five ten and love them. Next time I may actually go with a pair of VANS or Nike skateboard shoes which should work fine for my ebike cruising as well. They are also cheaper and a little more stylish for what I need.

I used toe clips eons ago, then switched to clip-ins for all my road riding. For me, clip-ins not needed for ebikes because I now have a motor & battery. What I do like are the platform pedals with the little pegs. They help keep your feet on the pedals and for quick stops are safer, imho.
I not only agree to the above but there is more.
In case a person suffers some ailment related to legs and specifically feet, platform pedals with traction pins + matched cycling shoes allow for changing the position of the foot on the pedal. Not doable with clipless pedals/shoes and hard with traditional clips, too.

Interesting thread. I had some foot pain on 70 mile rides so am going with stiff cycling shoes.
- Shimano E bike shoes. Wearing around house on carpet to check the fit. They seemed a little narrow at first but they fit ok.
- Freerider Pro, ordered prior to this thread and get them next week. Optimistic on them from the comments here.

I hope the stiffer shoe helps on long rides.

Attachments

• 83A7FE67-4A78-4193-8DFA-00FB52A7A798.jpeg
    83A7FE67-4A78-4193-8DFA-00FB52A7A798.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 149
I wear an older pair of Ecco golfing shoes. The "spikeless" pattern of the sole works well with the nubs on my platform pedals, and the sole is neither too soft nor too firm.
You tend to walk a lot in golf, but you need a solid hitting platform. I find Ecco shoes extremely comfortable.

Often golf shops have racks of older styles at deep discounts, and even better, if you can find a pair with a BOA lacing system - you might be very satisfied.
BOA example.

1659285021832.png

Rockbottom golf have very good pricing and have some BOA laced shoes on sale - and this one from Sketchers would have a slightly stiffer sole than what I use.
They also have a pair of nice Ecco shoes, albeit not BOA.

Enjoy your trip to Italy - if you are like me, you need the cycling to offset the food!

As I've extended my rides to the 20+ heading to 30 mile range, and have been riding more often training for my Italy ride in October, I'm noticing some foot pain and stiffness. All my life, I've ridden in sneakers, or regular walking shoes. Actually, my walking shoes have prescription orthotics in then that stiffen them a bit, but I'm wondering if I need something even stiffer.

They'd need to be something I could walk to my wine and food tastings in enroute - no clips or cleats. I don't want to be attached to my pedals. I just want something that's going to help prevent plantar fasciitis flare-ups and arthritis pain.

Are some sort of casual cycling shoes the answer?
Shoes are the least of my concerns as far as what to wear. Any and I do mean any pair of tennis shoes work just fine.
More importantly what type of pedal do you have, are they the plastic ones with no grip, metal with teeth? if the former, than tread on your shoes is going to matter more than the brand of shoe.

Whenever I put a regular trainers on a ride, I regret it soon. Five Ten Freerider Pro are a must for me for any longer trip.
I do not want to advertise specific pedals now but I am fond of CrankBrothers Stamp 1 Large the most (my feet are large; and I really need multiple feet position for my long trips).

The energy transfer and riding experience with this combination are improbably good. The shoe holds on the traction pins as it were clipless pedals/shoes! To remove a foot from the pedal you actually need to lift your foot a little! The impression is as if the shoes were glued to the pedals!

There is an interesting pedalling technique (for the cycling shoe/platform pedal) explained to me by some lady here in the EBR forum. A "clipless" cyclist typically operates with their legs up and down. With the combination I'm talking about, the cyclist should pretend to be sliding their feet forward & backwards. This technique gives enormous result on acceleration. With an e-bike you never need to stand on the pedals to accelerate. Sliding feet forward/backwards makes your e-bike accelerate very fast, especially when you start in lower gears.

I often demonstrate the acceleration capabilities of both Vado and Vado SL to my group cycling mates of both sexes. Far in the trip, when bored but still with the battery juice left, I say to my buddies: 'The importance of cadence is often underestimated by cyclists... See what I'm doing...' At this moment, I dramatically downshift... then apply the "feet sliding" technique. My e-bike shots forward leaving the group in the dust! I gradually upshift and ride even faster! It often ends up in a road race with my mates! :)

After having slowed down I continue: 'And I promise to you I did not increase the e-bike assistance!' :)

Just fancy their face expression if we are talking the low power Vado SL! :D

Last edited:
Shoes are your interface with your pedals. If you want to put any real power to the pedals, you need a solid interface. Applying much force to a soft and flexible sole will stress and contort your foot and can cause discomfort and over time, injury as well as robbing power..

If you pedal lightly or use a throttle most of the time, then the shoe becomes less important. If you are riding for fitness or even applying a decent amount of force to the pedals, then the shoe becomes critical.

If your feet are aching, then they are probably being stressed and a cycling shoe would probably make your riding experience much more enjoyable.

Shoes are your interface with your pedals. If you want to put any real power to the pedals, you need a solid interface. Applying much force to a soft and flexible sole will stress and contort your foot and can cause discomfort and over time, injury as well as robbing power..

If you pedal lightly or use a throttle most of the time, then the shoe becomes less important. If you are riding for fitness or even applying a decent amount of force to the pedals, then the shoe becomes critical.

If your feet are aching, then they are probably being stressed and a cycling shoe would probably make your riding experience much more enjoyable.
yeah and be sure to get cycling socks!
Too much sock will rob you of micro newtons of torque.
At some point you have to address the global consequence of such needless consumerism. I mean look around once in a while.

Last edited:
I use Exustarā€™s cycling sandals this time of year, first as clip ins until I switched to flat pedals. I use the Free riders when it gets chilly. Keen also makes cycling sandalsā€¦In Italy I would think you would be stylish in sandals, and I find the comfort superior to shoes

I use Exustarā€™s cycling sandals this time of year, first as clip ins until I switched to flat pedals. I use the Free riders when it gets chilly. Keen also makes cycling sandalsā€¦In Italy I would think you would be stylish in sandals, and I find the comfort superior to shoes
No Italian in their right mind wears sandals after the end of August šŸ˜‚! September 1, the boots, leather jackets/coats, and scarves come out, temperatures be damned šŸ¤Ŗ!

Thanks so much, everyone! I've been down the 510 rabbit hole off and on all day, with diversions into other brands and shoe inserts tossed in to boot! Overwhelmed at the moment, but will give it another look tomorrow.

yeah and be sure to get cycling socks!
Too much sock will rob you of micro newtons of torque.
At some point you have to address the global consequence of such needless consumerism. I mean look around once in a while.
You are correct that in certain cases, a cycling shoe, cycling socks, etc. are a waste. If you apply no force at all, then riding bare foot would be no different than wearing a technical shoe.

For anyone that applies any real force to a pedal, a cycling shoe is a worthwhile and relatively small investment. If you have any doubt, try riding bare foot, (I am not suggesting that anyone really ride with bare feet). If you did, your foot would have to conform to the pedal every time you apply force. You would feel every part of that platform. You would have multiple, uncomfortable pressure points. It would contort and distort your foot. It would hurt!!!

A soft soled ā€œtennis shoeā€ is a little better than a bare foot, but not nearly as good as a cycling shoe. The 5-10 shoes have a fairly stiff sole that distributes the force over a larger area, thereby minimizing pressure points and stress on the foot. The sole is made from a patented rubber compound that provides excellent grip while not getting chewed up by the traction enhancing features of the pedal.

A stiff sole is also more efficient. Think of running in sand compared with running on a track, (of course if you are tooling around with a throttle and not applying any force to the pedals, then these points are moot).

Lastly, torque cannot be measured or described in ā€œmicro newtonsā€. Very simplistically, torque requires a distance, (length), as well as a force, (newton meters, pounds feet etc.). t = r x F

Last edited:
I pedal my bike, and I'm having foot pain/discomfort now that I've stepped up my mileage and ride frequency. Addressing that issue is not a waste for me. I really appreciate everyone who's been helpful regarding information about cycling shoes -I'm trying to find a reasonable priced pair of 510 Freeriders or pros (in my size) - will let you know what the results are once I start using them!

Back