Do I need cycling shoes?

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
As I've extended my rides to the 20+ heading to 30 mile range, and have been riding more often training for my Italy ride in October, I'm noticing some foot pain and stiffness. All my life, I've ridden in sneakers, or regular walking shoes. Actually, my walking shoes have prescription orthotics in then that stiffen them a bit, but I'm wondering if I need something even stiffer.

They'd need to be something I could walk to my wine and food tastings in enroute - no clips or cleats. I don't want to be attached to my pedals. I just want something that's going to help prevent plantar fasciitis flare-ups and arthritis pain.

Are some sort of casual cycling shoes the answer?

I’ll second what rich c said; MTB shoes.

Like you, I want nothing to do with clips of any sort, but tennis shoes weren’t cutting it. I bought a pair of Specialized MTB shoes, and I’m thrilled with them. They’re super stiff, and they grip the pedals much better than tennis shoes.

As I've extended my rides to the 20+ heading to 30 mile range, and have been riding more often training for my Italy ride in October, I'm noticing some foot pain and stiffness. All my life, I've ridden in sneakers, or regular walking shoes. Actually, my walking shoes have prescription orthotics in then that stiffen them a bit, but I'm wondering if I need something even stiffer.

They'd need to be something I could walk to my wine and food tastings in enroute - no clips or cleats. I don't want to be attached to my pedals. I just want something that's going to help prevent plantar fasciitis flare-ups and arthritis pain.

Are some sort of casual cycling shoes the answer?
There is a plethora of cycling specific footwear out there enough to confuse the most seasoned rider. My wife started out wearing a pair of Crankbrothers Stamp BOA flat pedal shoes. These shoes are geared more towards trail/mtb applications but she found them to be just as suitable for road riding. She has now transitioned to clipless SPD pedals but still wears the same shoe albeit now in the clip in version (Mallet BOA).

GH011717_Moment.jpg

The Stamps are pretty clean and sleek looking with relatively stiff grippy soles for good power transfer.

372109_12818_XL.jpgStamp_BOA_Outsole_0179_1380x.jpg

What she likes the most about the shoes is the user-friendly BOA dial which allows her to adjust the tension of the laces to her liking. I’m also sold on the BOA system as well and have them on my own shoes. The large Velcro strap across the shoe completes the closure system on the Stamps and helps keep the shoe in place. She says that walking in them feels nearly like a normal shoe but just a bit stiffer. I do recommend that you drop by a LBS and try on a few shoes as a start. I can’t say whether or not cycling specific shoes would help your PF issues though.

There is a plethora of cycling specific footwear out there enough to confuse the most seasoned rider. My wife started out wearing a pair of Crankbrothers Stamp BOA flat pedal shoes. These shoes are geared more towards trail/mtb applications but she found them to be just as suitable for road riding. She has now transitioned to clipless SPD pedals but still wears the same shoe albeit now in the clip in version (Mallet BOA).

View attachment 130694

The Stamps are pretty clean and sleek looking with relatively stiff grippy soles for good power transfer.

View attachment 130693View attachment 130695

What she likes the most about the shoes is the user-friendly BOA dial which allows her to adjust the tension of the laces to her liking. I’m also sold on the BOA system as well and have them on my own shoes. The large Velcro strap across the shoe completes the closure system on the Stamps and helps keep the shoe in place. She says that walking in them feels nearly like a normal shoe but just a bit stiffer. I do recommend that you drop by a LBS and try on a few shoes as a start. I can’t say whether or not cycling specific shoes would help your PF issues though.
Grazie mille ☺️! I'll check with my LBS, and maybe try to get up to REI before their big bike sale ends August 8 - they have some shoes on the website, but I need to try on.

Something without laces or a velcro cover for laces as mine always work loose. Lot of MTB shoes are also water resistant, won't keep you dry in constant rain but definitely splash proof unlike trainers.

Adidas Five Ten FreeRider Pro.
Super grippy, pretty rigid (perhaps uncomfortably so depending on foot shape), reasonably doable for off-bike walking. Full retail is a bit steep for an everyday shoe but they're on sale from time to time. I got my garish blue and red ones half price. You'll have to check if styling suits cellar door quaffing. Though it is the PNW so possibly.

Last edited:
I use a product called peddle fenders that work well for me. They keep my feet in place and allow me to push forward on the peddles without being clipped or strapped in to them.

While we're talking feet, does anyone use old fashioned toe clips? If not, how do you keep your feet in the right position when riding?

While we're talking feet, does anyone use old fashioned toe clips? If not, how do you keep your feet in the right position when riding?
I used toe clips eons ago, then switched to clip-ins for all my road riding. For me, clip-ins not needed for ebikes because I now have a motor & battery. What I do like are the platform pedals with the little pegs. They help keep your feet on the pedals and for quick stops are safer, imho.

Back