Help me find cycle shoes I can walk in.

Just for sake of discussion, we were chatting about magnetic pedals a while ago, and I still would like to try some. Maybe would be a possible solution for you as well?

I have looked at Maglock but there are a few makers

I’d do whatever I could to use a regular shoe and AVOID clipping in, given you are using a prosthetic. I use a variety of shoes, depending on the weather. The magnet idea sounds interesting. Best of luck!
Totally agree and my come back to that as time goes.
Just wait till I try to climb hills cuz I cannot stand on pedals. Lol

This is the pedal I use on my trike. Not only does it hold my foot but I can also push and pull.
40CFB028-2983-43BA-80CE-61D4EA657376.jpeg

Wonder if this group might be helpful:

Also wonder if the VA might have resources with all the amputees they work with?

Clipping out of the pedals is a valid concern. You have to twist your foot to get out of the pedal. So @Goodleg can you do that? You won't be able to reach down and twist your prosthesis out without falling over I am sure.

As for staying clipped in and dangers therefrom... thats just a function of experience. I've been riding since the 1970's, first with toe clips AND cleats to completely lock the foot in, later to clipless when they were introduced. With clips/cleats you either flip the strap lock and release before you come to a stop, or you fall over. Clipless are easy cuz you only have to rotate your foot a tad and your foot pops right out. But if you try and do a track stand (motionless balancing) or delay your release or just forget, you fall over. Falling is very rare for anyone with experience who is not a doofus.

But... that foot rotation is maybe a dealbreaker. Your pedals should have tension screws that will allow you to reduce the cleat tension for easier release.

It has only been in very recent years that I have gotten away from cleating in and instead went to flat pedals. I had a horrible time adjusting to not having my foot always automatically being in the right position. I eventually ended up using Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals which allow for a totally different pedal stroke - a mid-foot plant that lets you use different muscles that may be to your advantage. Pedal cadence is a stomping action that again may better suit you. For an experienced cyclist, it will take a few weeks to learn the different cadence, and you will feel weak initially as you are using different muscle groups. When I adapted I felt it was no real benefit until I tried riding a 'normal' bike and realized how much power delivery I had lost.

Here is a pic of my Surly showing the pedal at a good angle. The pedal is so long for good reason: It is meant to support your entire arch front and back for a solid plant on the pedal. Worth noting these pedals are the XL version of an already big pedal. Made specifically for people with big dogs.
PXL_20201004_214425220.jpg

Lastly, I use FiveTen Freerider shoes, which actually stick to these pedals thanks to the material on the shoe soles and their absolutely flat sole. Both of my two pair pre-date when Adidas bought out the company, and hopefully they have not altered the sole compound to change this stickiness... you can actually pull up just a bit on them before they release from the pedal so they are a solid connection, even thru bumps. FiveTen made a sole that would mark a floor and another that didn't. I have one of each ant the 'one that marks up the floor' is the one you want as the later compound is much-inferior in terms of it staying put. It works but nowhere near as well.

Lots of reviews out there on these pedals. They are not meant for your circumstance but they may turn out to be ideal for you.

It has only been in very recent years that I have gotten away from cleating in and instead went to flat pedals. I had a horrible time adjusting to not having my foot always automatically being in the right position. I eventually ended up using Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals which allow for a totally different pedal stroke - a mid-foot plant that lets you use different muscles that may be to your advantage. Pedal cadence is a stomping action that again may better suit you. For an experienced cyclist, it will take a few weeks to learn the different cadence, and you will feel weak initially as you are using different muscle groups. When I adapted I felt it was no real benefit until I tried riding a 'normal' bike and realized how much power delivery I had lost.

Here is a pic of my Surly showing the pedal at a good angle. The pedal is so long for good reason: It is meant to support your entire arch front and back for a solid plant on the pedal. Worth noting these pedals are the XL version of an already big pedal. Made specifically for people with big dogs.

Lastly, I use FiveTen Freerider shoes, which actually stick to these pedals thanks to the material on the shoe soles and their absolutely flat sole. Both of my two pair pre-date when Adidas bought out the company, and hopefully they have not altered the sole compound to change this stickiness... you can actually pull up just a bit on them before they release from the pedal so they are a solid connection, even thru bumps. FiveTen made a sole that would mark a floor and another that didn't. I have one of each ant the 'one that marks up the floor' is the one you want as the later compound is much-inferior in terms of it staying put. It works but nowhere near as well.

Lots of reviews out there on these pedals. They are not meant for your circumstance but they may turn out to be ideal for you.
I have them too but I have the big guys for my size 13 feet. now I dont have to worry about what shoes. but I found when I tired like Shimano sandals they were crap on them. seems of the sole is not grippy the pins wont work. got an Addis cycling shoe for my wife and the sole is firm and the rubber not grippy and they slide too. I debated going back to clips but its was hard to find anything that fit. plus with the tandem I need to get out faster when we are coming to a stop then a car waves us on it would be a pain. so what shoe did you find that works with them?

Back