Do ebikes get more flats ?

Jtac15

Silly question here but do e bikes get more flats then regular bikes? Ive been riding every day to work on the same roadways and paths for over 25 years. The last two years ive been riding my aventon pace daily instead of my regular pedal bike. I get flats now 1-2 times a month. Its different items in the tire such as nails tacks screws thorns glass etc. for 25 years i probably got 5-6 flats going to and from work total. Ive gotten that the last 2 months alone. Is there something that makes this more common on an electric such as weight or speed or anything? Or is it just a string of bad luck? Its gotten so frequent ive purchased 2 tubes. I just pull out the flat one and replace with the spare and patch it so its ready to swap again next time 😡. Not so much a big deal just curious if its more common on an e bike. .

If you haven't already, might be time to try some sealant in the tube. It cut the number of flats on my bikes to next to nothing, AND I don't have to add air to the tires often. They'll now go months between checks.....

If you haven't already, might be time to try some sealant in the tube. It cut the number of flats on my bikes to next to nothing, AND I don't have to add air to the tires often. They'll now go months between checks.....
Is that the green stuff ?

Is that the green stuff ?
There's different brands, but that's what I use (Slime). Easy to find, easy to use, cheap, and it works....

Silly question here but do e bikes get more flats then regular bikes? Ive been riding every day to work on the same roadways and paths for over 25 years. The last two years ive been riding my aventon pace daily instead of my regular pedal bike. I get flats now 1-2 times a month. Its different items in the tire such as nails tacks screws thorns glass etc. for 25 years i probably got 5-6 flats going to and from work total. Ive gotten that the last 2 months alone. Is there something that makes this more common on an electric such as weight or speed or anything? Or is it just a string of bad luck? Its gotten so frequent ive purchased 2 tubes. I just pull out the flat one and replace with the spare and patch it so its ready to swap again next time 😡. Not so much a big deal just curious if its more common on an e bike. .
One flat at 600 miles on the rear 26X4 Kenda Juggernaut. Put in a Mr Tuffy liner and then Slimed both tires. No flats since. After about 4,000 miles (a couple of days ago) replaced the worn Kendas with Origin 8 Supercells. Reused the Mr. Tuffy I took out of the rear Kenda in the rear Origin8 and put the other one in the front. New tubes were already slimed. Hopefully I'll have the same luck minus the one flat.

And makes a great sound in winter… thump thump thump thump ;)

Absoloutly! I never got flats on my other bikes, but half a dozen on my ebikes.
Yes, use a sealant. If you run tubless also carry plugs. And of course a pump.

Its gotten so frequent ive purchased 2 tubes. I just pull out the flat one and replace with the spare and patch it so its ready to swap again next time 😡. Not so much a big deal just curious if its more common on an e bike. .
I hope you're checking the tire for whatever causes the flats. Could be the same little tack, or whatever, causing multiple flats.

I use Slime and swear by it. I tend to over-dose my tubes. Other people like other sealants.

TT

I ran into thumbtacks this summer. We have to adapt to attitudes.

We, in our town this summer, had a scoundrel stretch a cord across a very popular bridge. The bad guy caught one biker at neck height. Bruises and scrapes, but he survived.

My ebike to acoustic mileage is easily 10 to 1. Ebike to hot Rod roadster is 5 to 1. That is crazy. Used to be the other way around.

In AZ we find the outside bike lane is often the repository for all of the debris that falls off trucks and cars. Unfortunately the street cleaners don’t hit some of the shoulders as often as we would like.

not sure how that happens as sealant does not stick to the tire when it is sitting still. Plus tubeless tires need air more often.

Last edited:
Ive got well over 10k miles on reg bike with 5 flats or so. Only 3200 miles on ebike with 16-17 flats. Mostly staples and nails. Im gonna use the green slime recommended here. Funny thing i just bought a fat tire aventon aventure also and got a nail on second ride.

Maybe not Minnesota but I ride in sub-freezing weather and have never noticed that. It would be impossible to miss with the accompanying out-out-balance vibration!

TT
Do you store the bike in a warm place? I don't ride in winter but if the bike were stored in sub freezing the thumping would make sense. If stored somewhere warm then I would assume just riding the bike would keep it from freezing no matter how cold.

And makes a great sound in winter… thump thump thump thump ;)
Never had that happen, but not saying impossible. Noteworthy maybe, is I'm not likely going anywhere near a bike in temps cold enough to freeze any tire sealant.

n to sure how that happens as sealant does not stick to the tire when it is sitting still. Plus tubeless tires need air more often.
Yes, your right. My experience for the last 7 or 8 years (going back previous to my e-bikes) must be totally my imagination, because some pea brain that's never tried it can't get his head wrapped around the concept.

Back