Do cell phone holders damage phones?

My $0.02 on why I use a "GPS bike computer" (in my case a Hammerhead):
A couple of comments.
  • Keeper Loop. This is an excellent feature. I am surprised none of the [hone mounts have one.
  • Battery Life. We frequently drive 160 miles to visit with the grandkids. There are half a dozen alternate routes involving combinations of half a dozen freeways. Before we start, I load the destination into one of the guidance apps on my iPhone Xr. It will show me each route with the distance and the estimated time, plus any traffic jams, road construction, etc. I also get warnings en route about speed checks, not something I would need on a bike, and updates on routes. A few times it has rerouted us partway through the drive. I leave my phone on the seat divider where I can see it with the screen on fr the entire trip. These trips take between 2.5 and 4.5 hours depending on whether we can avoid rush hour traffic, which we can encounter in at least 3 cities. When we arrive, the battery has never been below 40% and it is usually around 55%. Plus, I can turn off the screen en route and it will open back up whenever it gives me any directions or information. I did that on one trip and the battery was at 85% when we arrived.
Fairness compels me admit that some apps, notably RideWithGPS, do some cool stuff.

Thanks for that tip.

A couple of comments.
  • Keeper Loop. This is an excellent feature. I am surprised none of the [hone mounts have one.
  • Battery Life. We frequently drive 160 miles to visit with the grandkids. There are half a dozen alternate routes involving combinations of half a dozen freeways. Before we start, I load the destination into one of the guidance apps on my iPhone Xr. It will show me each route with the distance and the estimated time, plus any traffic jams, road construction, etc. I also get warnings en route about speed checks, not something I would need on a bike, and updates on routes. A few times it has rerouted us partway through the drive. I leave my phone on the seat divider where I can see it with the screen on fr the entire trip. These trips take between 2.5 and 4.5 hours depending on whether we can avoid rush hour traffic, which we can encounter in at least 3 cities. When we arrive, the battery has never been below 40% and it is usually around 55%. Plus, I can turn off the screen en route and it will open back up whenever it gives me any directions or information. I did that on one trip and the battery was at 85% when we arrived.

Thanks for that tip.
My own experience on battery life with various iPhones has been that I am extremely lucky to get 2-2.5hours of battery life while using turn by turn navigation both in Google Maps and RideWithGPS. I speculate but do not know that this probably happens because I am often doing navigation in areas with extremely spotty cell coverage, and I know that maintaining connectivity with low signal strength and retrying when connectivity drops out can quickly drain the battery.

I probably use navigation three days out of five when engaged in bicycle travel. In particular when I am riding on poorly marked country roads and confusing terrain with few good reference points. Or unfamiliar (or just potentially confusing) routes in urban areas.

Also, an example of how a semi-customized display from a cycle computer could look. And using the lanyard as a keeper loop:

IMG_0714 (1).jpeg

Currently I display heart rate rather than cadence but the principle is the same. I can also switch between different displays (including a map view) by hitting the buttons on the sides of the gadget.

The keeper loop attaches to the gadget and connects to D-rings on the side of the bag.

The device itself is securely mounted via a metal clip and velcro to the otherwise useless map pocket on the top of the rando bag. I used this video as inspiration for how I pulled that off:

My own experience on battery life with various iPhones has been that I am extremely lucky to get 2-2.5hours of battery life while using turn by turn navigation both in Google Maps and RideWithGPS.
I record rides with RideWithGPS and consult the map now and then but seldom use turn-by-turn. With this use pattern, the app can drain the big battery in my Samsung Note20 in an hour if I force the screen to stay on and maybe twice that with the screen off. It's easy enough to wake up the screen on the fly when I need it.

Powering the phone from the 1.2 amp USB port on my bike battery just keeps up with the screen-off drain. The display's 0.5 amp USB port can power an extra headlight but is useless with the phone.

I use the QuadLock out front mount and a dedicated QuadLock case for my iPhone 14 Pro Max on my Trek Allant+ 8S. Yes, if I fall it “may” get damaged but so will I. Loving it for the couple of months I’ve had it.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 46
I have found this photo from the times I still had the phone on e-bike handlebars...

1700122869653.png

Occupying a big portion of the precious handlebar space, and inherently unsafe for the phone... (See the charging cable: smartphone battery will not last for long when used for an e-bike). The information as seen on this screen is now available on the new Specialized Mastermind display, or on a Wahoo (which also has the GPS navigation feature).

1700123283247.png

I got rid of Quadlock soon after taking that photo (March 2022). As you can see, the e-bike was Wahoo ready at that time.

Oh, RideWithGPS just introduced new functionality that allows you to quickly set up navigation to a destination, usually just by long-pressing on your destination. Again, my opinion is that RideWithGPS has the best turn-by-turn navigation implementation for cyclists.

Oh, RideWithGPS just introduced new functionality that allows you to quickly set up navigation to a destination, usually just by long-pressing on your destination. Again, my opinion is that RideWithGPS has the best turn-by-turn navigation implementation for cyclists.

Have you ever tried Komoot? :) Yes, yes, RWGPS shines in America, Komoot is the Euro thing :)

Have you ever tried Komoot? :) Yes, yes, RWGPS shines in America, Komoot is the Euro thing :)
I tried Komoot in 2020. Unless it has dramatically improved since then RideWithGPS does a better job on turn-by-turn navigation and route creation and editing.

All of them have their quirks in navigation and route creation, though. So I'd easily understand if someone had different preferences. Also, if you're using your phone for turn-by-turn, you really need a Wireless earpod to hear directions and alerts over road noise.

I tried Komoot in 2020. Unless it has dramatically improved since then RideWithGPS does a better job on turn-by-turn navigation and route creation and editing.

All of them have their quirks in navigation and route creation, though. So I'd easily understand if someone had different preferences. Also, if you're using your phone for turn-by-turn, you really need a Wireless earpod to hear directions and alerts over road noise.
It is 2023 now :)

I am the RWGPS subscriber for the advanced route editing options. Might cancel the subscription next year. When it comes to the route planning (especially in Europe), Komoot simply selects better routes. What RWGPS does not have but Komoot has is:
  • Bike Touring
  • Mountain Biking
  • Road Cycling
  • Gravel Cycling
  • Enduro Mountain Biking
And you can add "e-" for any of the above. RWGPS defaults to "gravel cycling", and it led me into unpleasant places for far too many times :)

P.S. I have paid a flat "Unlock All Regions" fee for Komoot once and do not need to subscribe to plan my routes.

I'm surprised it didn't have that function already. Both Komoot and OSMAnd (using bike profiles) have the equivalent.

In the past I've tested RWG along with other apps and, yes, it has good turn by turn navigation as the other good bike navigation apps do. After comparison, my preference remains with OSMAnd, especially with Brouter plugin, but also use Komoot.

I guess ones choice comes down to: ease of use, functionality and flexibility of setup and customisation, plus cost.

In my experience Google bike navigation is a distant last where using bike paths is concerned!

Cheers

Back