DIY Pocket Voltmeter

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Here's an idea for a small pocket meter that will measure voltage & battery capacity on Dorado Shark, Hailong, Pedego and other batteries that use a 4 prong spade connector.

My bikes all have volt meters which is great when the battery is in the bike. I have 3 bikes which I store in an unheated garage and a total of 7 batteries which I keep in my shop. Installing a battery in the bike just to check it's voltage isn't practical.

I usually do a check 3 or 4 times during the off season and adjust the charge level if necessary for proper storage. I got tired of getting out a voltmeter and connecting the leads every time I wanted to take a reading. Last year, I built this little gauge which just plugs into the battery without even removing it from the shelf. I can check all 7 batteries in less than 10 seconds using just one hand.

These are the required parts:

Gauge:

Connector:

Epoxy:

Bond the connector to the back of the gauge with the JB Weld plastic epoxy:

IMG_1219b.jpg IMG_1224b.jpg IMG_1225b.jpg IMG_1226b.jpg

Solder the leads observing the correct polarity:

IMG_1228b.jpg

Although it isn't necessary, I encapsulated the connectors with more epoxy to protect the wiring:

IMG_1231b.jpg

To read voltage, insert into any battery that uses a 4 prong spade connector observing the proper polarity:

IMG_1233b.jpg IMG_1234b.jpg IMG_1236b.jpg IMG_1246b.jpg

I added a flat vinyl cap to keep the prongs from damaging other items in a pocket or other storage container.

IMG_1248b.jpg IMG_1247b.jpg

The project cost around $25 and took about an hour to put together. I realize it isn't useful for everyone. Many of us are in the off season now so I thought I'd post in case the idea helps someone.

Last edited:
I like the way this is made to work with your battery, but sheesh, you can buy two or three ready-made voltmeters for the same price and a lot less effort on Amazon. Some of them will fit nicely in a shirt pocket.

I like the way this is made to work with your battery, but sheesh, you can buy two or three ready-made voltmeters for the same price and a lot less effort on Amazon. Some of them will fit nicely in a shirt pocket.
True, but I had the parts laying around so, in my case, it really wasn't much of an expense.

I can always use my Simpson VOM to get the voltage but the trick is to integrate the meter with the connector to make the process a one handed operation. The idea can be used with a variety of different gauges & connectors.

Most of my batteries use XT60 connectors, so it's simple to plug my meter with an attached XT60 to check the voltage before I put the battery in the bike. For riding, if my bike doesn't have a digital voltage readout on its LCD, I like to have a handlebar voltmeter. They used to cost around $8, now $15, I wire them to the bike's ignition/start circuit so they only work when the bike is turned on.
meter1.jpg
meter3.jpg

Here's an idea for a small pocket meter that will measure voltage & battery capacity on Dorado Shark, Hailong, Pedego and other batteries that use a 4 prong spade connector.

My bikes all have volt meters which is great when the battery is in the bike. I have 3 bikes which I store in an unheated garage and a total of 7 batteries which I keep in my shop. Installing a battery in the bike just to check it's voltage isn't practical.

I usually do a check 3 or 4 times during the off season and adjust the charge level if necessary for proper storage. I got tired of getting out a voltmeter and connecting the leads every time I wanted to take a reading. Last year, I built this little gauge which just plugs into the battery without even removing it from the shelf. I can check all 7 batteries in less than 10 seconds using just one hand.

Gauge:

Connector:

Epoxy:

View attachment 110760

Although it isn't necessary, I encapsulated the connectors with more epoxy to protect the wiring:

View attachment 110761

To read voltage, insert into any battery that uses a 4 prong spade connector observing the proper polarity:

View attachment 110762 View attachment 110763 View attachment 110764 View attachment 110765

I added a flat vinyl cap to keep the prongs from damaging other items in a pocket or other storage container.

The project cost around $25 and took about an hour to put together. I realize it isn't useful for everyone. Many of us are in the off season now so I thought I'd post in case the idea helps someone.

This is very cool. This could be useful for shops who have 100's of these packs and quickly want to check the SOC.

This would be more appropriate in the parts and accessories sub-forum, @Angela M.

Gauge:

Connector:

Epoxy:

View attachment 110755 View attachment 110756 View attachment 110758 View attachment 110759

View attachment 110760

View attachment 110761

View attachment 110762 View attachment 110763 View attachment 110764 View attachment 110765

View attachment 110767 View attachment 110766

MacGyver at it again 👍

Gauge:

Connector:

Epoxy:

View attachment 110755 View attachment 110756 View attachment 110758 View attachment 110759

View attachment 110760

View attachment 110761

Attachments

• 20220108_204635.jpg
    20220108_204635.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220108_204604.jpg
    20220108_204604.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220108_204447.jpg
    20220108_204447.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 127

Gauge:

Connector:

Epoxy:

View attachment 110760

View attachment 110761

Gauge:

Connector:

Epoxy:

View attachment 110760

View attachment 110761

Attachments

• 20220108_211825.jpg
    20220108_211825.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220108_211630.jpg
    20220108_211630.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20220108_215224.jpg
    20220108_215224.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220108_220229.jpg
    20220108_220229.jpg