DIY - Adding a simple pocket to a pannier

PowerMe

I purchased an inexpensive waterproof single pannier from China. It's like the Ortleib Sport Rollback in shape. My pannier has no pockets, not inside or outside. I decided to create my own inside pocket.

Materials:

- Unused neoprene mousepad, cut into the size I wanted for the pocket + 1/2" extra on all sides
- Some glue. I had some Liquid Fusion already from another project.

I spread the Liquid Fusion around 3 sides of the mousepad pocket, then placed the pocket on the inside of my pannier. Because it takes many hours to dry and up to 24 hrs to cure, I put something heavy on top of the 'pocket' to hold it tightly in place. The bag is resting on a table and will stay put until the glue is cured.

Here are 2 pictures.

The dotted pink line shows the perimeter of the 3 sides where I applied the glue. This is a view of the inside of my pannier, with the pocket glued into place.

neoprene pocket.jpg

The glue I used. I already had it and figured it should work ok. I'll find out tomorrow evening.

liquidfusion.jpg

Clever, @PowerMe! Hope it works well. Just one note, the label says it's non-toxic and low fumes; do you find that to be the case? Is it safe to use indoors? I am sensitive to glue, paint and solvents with fumes, so I've found it helps to use items like that outdoors with a lot of ventilation.

In case you're looking for Liquid Fusion, Amazon and other places carry it and it's inexpensive.

Just one note, the label says it's non-toxic and low fumes; do you find that to be the case?

I didn't notice any smell and I used the glue while sitting on my couch. This hasn't been the first time I've used this particular glue. It's only 'downside' is that it takes 24 hrs to cure so it's not like a superglue that is set in 30 seconds or so.

Back