Disc Brakes and Pads

Semi-metallic ones. I might also look to Kool-Stops to accumulate different pads for my stock.
My semi-metallic pads are giving me great life compared to my original organic pads. I did need to bed them in to get them to quiet down. I clean them and the rotors with alcohol if I get any additional noise from them.

I did a 1,000 mile checkup on my semi-metallic Kool Stop pads today. As I noted in post #10 in this thread, at 500 miles these pads had an average wear of 0.05mm as compared to a new pad as measured on the faster wearing front pads. I removed and cleaned both front and rear pads today and again measured the thickness of the front pads. The average wear was 0.13mm, and increase of 0.08mm from the 500 mile mark. I'm sure the increased wear was due to the river canyon rides I did through the summer with their steep descents.

None the less, these new pads are on track to last well over 2,500 miles, a very nice improvement over the original organic pads that had to be replaced at 500 miles.

I did note that the rotors had a slight blueish tint now. My sons tells me this is common for their MTBs being caused by high temps from braking during long descents. Gotta love those aggressive heat sinks on these Kool Stop pads!

0402201211a_Film1_20200403071806566.jpg

I did a 1,000 mile checkup on my semi-metallic Kool Stop pads today. As I noted in post #10 in this thread, at 500 miles these pads had an average wear of 0.05mm as compared to a new pad as measured on the faster wearing front pads. I removed and cleaned both front and rear pads today and again measured the thickness of the front pads. The average wear was 0.13mm, and increase of 0.08mm from the 500 mile mark. I'm sure the increased wear was due to the river canyon rides I did through the summer with their steep descents.

None the less, these new pads are on track to last well over 2,500 miles, a very nice improvement over the original organic pads that had to be replaced at 500 miles.

I did note that the rotors had a slight blueish tint now. My sons tells me this is common for their MTBs being caused by high temps from braking during long descents.
Gotta love those aggressive heat sinks on these Kool Stop pads!

View attachment 69841
Congrats... the blue tint on the rotors is a badge of honor around here! ;)

There seem to be no restrictions resulting from your rotor model so various 4-piston-brake pads should fit your TRP Zurich as well:
TRP Q12RS (resin pads), TRP Q15TS (sintered metal), TRP Q10TS (full-metal, old type), Galfer FD426 advanced G1851, Galfer FD426 standard G1053.
Hi,
I have the same brakes as Stefan, so I want to order a pair of spare pads. Does the SHIMANO SAINT ZEE D03S fit? They are easily accessible to me.

Hi,
I have the same brakes as Stefan, so I want to order a pair of spare pads. Does the SHIMANO SAINT ZEE D03S fit? They are easily accessible to me.
I wouldn't take the risk.
See this online store:

I strongly recommend the store. I hope they can send the brake pads to your country. If not, send me a private message, Igor.
P.S. Buy at least 4 sets. It is very hard to buy anything now.

I have the same brakes as Stefan, so I want to order a pair of spare pads. Does the SHIMANO SAINT ZEE D03S fit?
They are intended for Shimano brakes so they won't fit.
The shop linked by Stefan sends to BiH but postage is 14.99 €.

I did note that the rotors had a slight blueish tint now. My sons tells me this is common for their MTBs being caused by high temps from braking during long descents. Gotta love those aggressive heat sinks on these Kool Stop pads!

View attachment 69841
I told you they were the real goods! (-: Same goes for the Sram 11 speed chain pc XX1 ... everybody should try one if it fits your bike.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take the risk.
See this online store:

I strongly recommend the store. I hope they can send the brake pads to your country. If not, send me a private message, Igor.
P.S. Buy at least 4 sets. It is very hard to buy anything now.
Thanks everyone.
I ordered 2 pairs from this site.

As per Sierratim and his positive review of the KS-D635K pads, I ordered new pads (AERO Kool Disc KS-D635K) which I'll install tomorrow.
My existing OEM supplied pads which I changed to new SHIMANO J03A Resin Disc Brake Pads at 2300 miles, not that I needed to, but I was doing a bunch of other updates, new cassette, new chainring, new chain, new tires, etc., etc., I figured hey, why not new pads.
Nonetheless, they (I feel) were "bedded" correctly, but the front brakes squeal like a pig and I have been using them as an alert/sounding device (horn) when I come into an intersection where others are not acknowledging the sharing of the road, etc....... which I may miss.... :) Weird, the back ones are 100% silent.
So, after reading in-depth the discussions here, I figured Sierratim knows his stuff, so I got the pads he says are meeting his expectations, so I'm following his suggestion to try them out.
They are about the same price.
Oh, yesterday while on a group ride, someone said to take the pads and soak them in boiling water to fix the squeal.....does anyone have a comment on that?

Attachments

• AERO Kool Disc KS-D635K.jpg
    AERO Kool Disc KS-D635K.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 232
So, got the new pads but did not do yet....wanted to do one last try to clean up the other "new" pads & rotor with alcohol, etc., still a no-go.
Looks like good weather this weekend, will report if good or bad.
Last case scenario, got new rotors in the event they may be the 'squealer'

Last case scenario, got new rotors in the event they may be the 'squealer'
Don't replace rotors without real need. Replace the pads only if the old ones are worn. One of the reasons of brake squealing is uneven action of pistons. Besides, hydraulic disk brakes may squeal.

I didn't read carefully. Semi-metallic pads? They do squeal. Organic ones don't unless worn.

SHIMANO J03A RESIN DISC BRAKE PADS-what I initially used​

Blurb that educated me [or confuses me?]
"Organic pads, also known as semi-metallic or resin pads, are made of a much softer compound. This means that the pads will be quieter and will certainly not last as long as metallic pads. A major concern in using resin pads is their ride characteristics in wet conditions. Organic pads should not be used in wet conditions because they will offer very little, if any, braking power once wet. Organic brake pads will offer more initial bite during braking, but don’t deal with heat as well as metallic pads. Resin pads will fade faster than metallic pads on long descents and under heavier riders".

I read that to be Organic pads are semi-metallic and/or resin pads.
So then, if they are semi-metallic, they squeal, right?

SHIMANO J03A RESIN DISC BRAKE PADS-what I initially used​

Blurb that educated me [or confuses me?]
"Organic pads, also known as semi-metallic or resin pads, are made of a much softer compound. This means that the pads will be quieter and will certainly not last as long as metallic pads. A major concern in using resin pads is their ride characteristics in wet conditions. Organic pads should not be used in wet conditions because they will offer very little, if any, braking power once wet. Organic brake pads will offer more initial bite during braking, but don’t deal with heat as well as metallic pads. Resin pads will fade faster than metallic pads on long descents and under heavier riders".

So then, if they are semi-metallic, they squeal, right?
Those new KoolStop pads you have will not squeek unless it is raining out. If they do squeek when it is dry out , I would suggest you check carefully for a small fluid leak on the affected brake.

No. Organic are made of resin, semi-metallic are sintered.
I think Steve's right but I guarantee the semi-metallic pads will squeal on long hard braking downhill. Listen guys to some EMTB videos; I experienced that in the mountains on two different e-bikes.

How many miles are you getting on a set of pads? What brand and type of pads?

I've never owned a disc brake equipped bike before my Vado 5 though I have worked on a few with my sons and at the local 'bicycle kitchen'. Nice stopping power, but my pads wear much faster than I'd expected. I got ~500 miles on the first set of pads with the front pads wearing noticeably fatser than the rear. I suppose I was accostomed to the life I get out of the V-brake pads on our mechs. Lighter bikes on more level ground are apparently not good standards to set expectations for disc pads!

Our Vados are equipped with Shimano BR-M8000 calipers and SM-RT76 series rotors. Shimano G03 'organic' pads were originally installed as I recall.

At my sons'suggestion I switched to Shimano metallic/sinthered pads, J04C. The goals were even better stopping power and much longer pad life. I struggled to get them to quit squealing and as I've said in at lesst one other post, noisy brakes suck. I 'bedded' them in (see https://reviews.mtbr.com/how-to-bedding-in-new-disc-brake-pads and
), cleaned rotors and pads several times, lightly sanded the pad surfaces, and even tried the Squeal Out abrasive compound. Nothing really helped, except Squeal Out, but it only worked for a few miles. After reapplying it several times, I gave up after ~60 miles of trying and went back to organic pads, more G03s. Quite brakes rematerialized instantlly.

The 2nd set of organic pads were wearing just as fast as the first set. One theory I read was that since the organic pads don't conduct heat to the rotors well their wear might be accelerated by heat build up caused by braking on our local hills - my typical ride inclides 2,000 - 3,500 feet of climbing. After several hundred more miles of quite braking (and maybe 50% pad wear) I decided to try organic pads with integrated heat sinks. Shimano makes these as well, J03 pads, but I decided to try another brand, KOOL STOP Aero Kool KS-D635K pads.

View attachment 50546

So far, so good. The brakes aren't quite as quiet (did I get the 'e's in all the right spots?). KOOL STOP does claim longer life so maybe the pads are harder. They seem to have the same stopping power as the original Shimano pads. Time will tell if the heat sink improves pad life. I'll report back.

How are your brakes doing?
I am still on the original brake pads on my Trek Verve + 3 at over 6000 km.

Back