Difference between adventure and touring cycling?

My ICE fleet is the same size as the emtb fleet, both pictures are with my 14 yo riding on our paddock.

20220807_172729.jpeg
20220724_164605.jpeg

The regular bike fleet is worth a LOT more , I think there was 6 at last count ( not including the 2 emtb's)
Then we have water craft ( canoe / kyak /packraft / sail / sup ) , variations on camping equipment, plus the kids were making noises last night about heading up to the snow soon.

I'm making sure these kids grow up knowing the definition of adventure.

Don't you think guys you chose a wrong Forum? :)
A Forum member also thinks an e-bike should weigh 100 pounds and be equipped with a windscreen :D

1690177863779.png

This photo made my day!

Don't you think guys you chose a wrong Forum? :)
A Forum member also thinks an e-bike should weigh 100 pounds and be equipped with a windscreen :D

This photo made my day!

Language lesson - you guyS implies there is more than 1 person on this thread who feel discussions about adventure are not boring.

So presumably you are getting SOME insight that not all members share your opinion that adveture riding is exclusively group gravel day rides?

Language lesson - you guyS implies there is more than 1 person on this thread who feel discussions about adventure are not boring.

So presumably you are getting SOME insight that not all members share your opinion that adveture riding is exclusively group gravel day rides?
"Difference between adventure and touring cycling?"
If I knew this thread was about motorcycling, I would not take part in it.
I wonder why you people chose e-bikes if motorcycles were so fantastic.

Not long ago, few years before the pandemic all these motos (and more) below fit inside my 1.5 car garage.
FnTpL1T.jpg

20 some years ago, I did much of my dirt, desert, track & ice riding.
gL8oEAZ.jpg

OgWnByc.jpg

hPmbvtq.jpg

4lSDzkr.jpg

rxZmjEt.jpg

bM9cPrs.jpg

NNR8ijz.jpg

Some rare dirt bikes I've owned.
omHR6r5.jpg

bQohcEW.jpg

This was adventure touring when you have flames between your legs.
30+ y-o rubber fuel line ruptured while riding.
zHbtURv.jpg

sKlsH48.jpg

0bnmi1O.jpg

A 640 AND a 660 rallye!
How do you afford that after paying the psychologist for that vfr fetish?

A 640 AND a 660 rallye!
How do you afford that after paying the psychologist for that vfr fetish?
They are both 660 Rallye, 2001 & 2002 model year.
Some drink, some smoke, some do other drugs.. for me, it's called 2-Wheel Therapy.
As I get older, I do prefer the motos that allows me less maintenance time and just turn key & ride.
viaPXqd.jpg

T6yHbk0.jpg

Last edited:
I sti
translation:
to press someone's throat very tightly so that they cannot breathe:
informal Sometimes he annoys me so much that I could throttle him.

I still wonder for how many kilometres you pedalled your motorcycles as our friend @PCeBiker is proud to be riding on the throttle only 😊

I'm sure pedalling your motorbikes gave you enormous experience in cycling 😊

1690293639532.png

I certainly didn't need 41 years to pedal for 34437.6 km :)

1690293731612.png

Last edited:
For me a bicycle 'bike' has two wheels and is operated by using pedals. A further refinement is that it operates with pedal pressure input by the ridder. That means that it cannot be ghost pedaled with cadence only but the rider must actually be riding the bike by using muscles. A further refinement on that is that it must have seamless immediacy with no lag or overrun. Others are welcome to their own definitions. For me a gravel adventure bike meets these basic requirements, or it is not a bike; but maybe something such as a motorcycle, or electric motorcycle.

They are both 660 Rallye, 2001 & 2002 model year.
Some drink, some smoke, some do other drugs.. for me, it's called 2-Wheel Therapy.
As I get older, I do prefer the motos that allows me less maintenance time and just turn key & ride.

Sounds like sensible therapy to me - I miss having a Dr who rode KTM's and moto morinis - now he just rides a trek.

Back in about 2006 , there were 3 locals who bought 660 rallyes - they set up a boutique tour company and for Tax purposes , they were hire bikes. They did semi supported rides through some of the more adventurous routes - such as the canning discussed earlier - usually with just one paying customer. Magnificent bikes to ride - that motor was incredibly smooth, and the suspension blew me away. This was one of them on a birthday ride I organised

IMG_4739.jpeg

I also suffer from the Honda V fetish, although I haven't indulged since owning an rd04

IMG_4738.png

Oh, one more thing, crank arm speed needs to be = to chainring speed and that is = to motor output speed. That is a bike.

Yeah, 660 Rallye KTMs learned the hard way for me.
They are great for wide open throttle, soaking up bumps at high speed.. but not so ideal with technical narrow trails.
that bike sure took lots of abuse and keeps on ticking.
k3P4JSl.jpg

Eventually, I got tired of waiting for KTM parts, and they ran out of specific parts for the 660 Rallye due to the smaller displacement regulation changes.
I got myself a Honda to replace the KTM,
liked it so much that I had to converted to a street legal bike, even though it's kickstart only.
poi3Zpu.jpg

32eMsMa.jpg

Back