Difference between adventure and touring cycling?

So a mid-drive "ebike" with combined motor+gearbox unit and belt drive like the Pinion setup doesn't count as a bike?
I am just saying for me. My preference, no one else's. I personally like that feel of the crank in sync with the chainring. For me it is disconcerting when those two are not linked. My go to daily ridder is a coaster brake mid-drive with a rack and gravel tires. That bike has pedal feel with immediacy. Two women laughed when I said that I cannot work with gloves and I need to feel and be intimately connected with what I am working on. Having a ring speed that is different that crank speed is like petting a kitten with gloves.
1690322144933.jpeg

Sounds great as a sales pitch. My buddy purchased a pre-order bike that is complex as hell. It gets delivered in September - November. It has the gear box mid-drive combo. Everything is proprietary and it is internet only with no local support. It has big numbers on a spread sheet but is also heavy as hell. Auto-shift sounds cool but it cannot know when a rock garden or steep driveway is approaching. Here is an update on the Pinion motor/gearbox combo. So what do you do when it is no longer supported? You will be stuck with a frame that only fits one motor that no longer exists. Window '95. Proprietary firmware = Apple = Big bucks = Major headaches.

Who said anything about a throttle?? Pay attention.
You pedal the Pinion e-bike so I wonder what that question was meant to be.
So a mid-drive "ebike" with combined motor+gearbox unit and belt drive like the Pinion setup doesn't count as a bike?
The Pinion motor checks all the boxes listed by Pedaluma. There are traditional pedal bikes with the Pinion gearbox too.

This thread was hijacked by motorists who pretend to be cyclists, that's it. Yes, I agree Australia is an adventurous country where you might not be able to get petrol for the next 375 km but it does not change the fact "cycling" means "pedalling".

1690349286472.png

I am just saying for me. My preference, no one else's. I personally like that feel of the crank in sync with the chainring. For me it is disconcerting when those two are not linked. My go to daily ridder is a coaster brake mid-drive with a rack and gravel tires. That bike has pedal feel with immediacy. Two women laughed when I said that I cannot work with gloves and I need to feel and be intimately connected with what I am working on. Having a ring speed that is different that crank speed is like petting a kitten with gloves.
View attachment 159054
True believers ride barefoot so they can truly be one with the bike.
1000001555.jpg

I'm just a lowly heathen with a Bosch bike that has a reduction gear in it's motor. Blasphemy!

I'm just a lowly heathen with a Bosch bike that has a reduction gear in it's motor. Blasphemy!
I'm sure you are pedalling at the proper cadence and the drivetrain delivers proper chain speed to make it a bicycle. Isn't the older Bosch chainring very small to accommodate for the internal motor gearing?

I'm sure you are pedalling at the proper cadence and the drivetrain delivers proper chain speed to make it a bicycle. Isn't the older Bosch chainring very small to accommodate for the internal motor gearing?
Yes, it's a roughly 2.5x reduction, so my 20t chainring is about the same as a 50t chainring would be. I literally have no idea how that would change the feel of the bike significantly, all it does is compensate for the motor's higher rpm.

This thread was hijacked by motorists who pretend to be cyclists, that's it. Yes, I agree Australia is an adventurous country where you might not be able to get petrol for the next 375 km but it does not change the fact "cycling" means "pedalling".

View attachment 159073

The OP asked about adventure , YOU hijacked the discussion with your gravel bias.

Motorcycles AND OTHER ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES were used to discuss the nature of adventure.

Oh, and 375 km between fuel on a bitumin road is NOT an adventure route!

To make you even more irritated PDoz now I am on a 5 km walk to collect my Vado SL from the shop. With my 400 m intermittent claudication. That's a challenge! 😊

I could have taken my car. I could have taken a bus. Chose not to.

To make you even more irritated PDoz now I am on a 5 km walk to collect my Vado SL from the shop. With my 400 m intermittent claudication. That's a challenge! 😊

I could have taken my car. I could have taken a bus. Chose not to.

Good to see you can find adventure beyond the gravel group

True believers ride barefoot
It is very funny that you mention that. I mostly use moccasins with soles so soft and flexible that they can fold in half. And supper grippy pedals so I can pull back and up from the 6:00 down position to 10:00. It is a fluid type of pedaling that feels like swimming. It lets me feel that the bike is an extension of me. Connected.

“Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine”

Fully agree, Django!

Hey, how’s everything looking over there? I haven’t gotten a chance to run over to my brother’s in Enfield along the Northern RT since all the rain.

Pretty wet, but improving.

The air quality goes up and down. You must be having a hard time with the air. Strange year. I hope that this isn’t the new normal.

Back